Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: I can't honestly put my finger on why that is. But i am increasingly coming round to the view that some are not half as good as we think.
Crikey!!!. You've changed your tune, Old Son. We were winning it at a canter according to you before a ball had been kicked :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Enoch wrote:When Freedman took over at Crystal Palace on New Years Day 2011, they were rooted to the bottom of the Championship. Under Burley they were a rabble, Freedman, working with much the same group of players, dragged them out of the mire to comfortable survival.

Without making a fuss and with some astute work churning the squad, he left them 20 months later a well drilled, effective unit. I won't trouble mentioning their current league position.

As much as we all have an opinion, sometimes seeing things so obvious only a fool would miss them. In truth none of us armchair experts have a clue what's happening within the confines of the first team squad. Expecting things to change in the blink of an eye is pretty naive I fancy. I also believe Freedman brings a regime that will not suffer those that refuse to accept his standards and will weed out the luggage as early as is prudent.

Will it be playoffs this season? Entirely possible, but certainly not a given. Will the playing side of the club be better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning? Without a shadow of a doubt!

Anyone that isn't behind the Manager and his endeavor at this early stage will only make his task a little more demanding.
Amen to that, thanks Enoch. Where's Eli ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: I can't honestly put my finger on why that is. But i am increasingly coming round to the view that some are not half as good as we think.
Crikey!!!. You've changed your tune, Old Son. We were winning it at a canter according to you before a ball had been kicked :lol:
Yeah I've said that, I honestly thought we would, mind you argued quite vehemently that we were actually not very good, so I guess you were right.

However, having seen that be the case for the first 16 games, I'm a bit confused as to why you think we are 'more than good enough'......... :conf:

Although I may have misunderstood somewhere along the line.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah I've said that, I honestly thought we would, mind you argued quite vehemently that we were actually not very good, so I guess you were right.

However, having seen that be the case for the first 16 games, I'm a bit confused as to why you think we are 'more than good enough'......... :conf:

Although I may have misunderstood somewhere along the line.....
OK, no worries (tell you what, Chief, I'd love to grab a beer and a natter with you one day but it'd go on for ever). What I think we're short of is a Paul Jones and a Sam Allardyce pairing at the back. We'll never keep a clean sheet with the current crop, and we really do need to start with clean sheets.
May the bridges I burn light your way

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:49 pm

I still think that the squad we have, especially with the additions of Warnock and Spearing, are good enough to gain automatic promotion if the league started tomorrow. Fact is that we are behind now and the training regimes prior to DF are being put right. I think that we will make slow but steady progress the next month or two and then go on the run we deserve and reach the playoffs. Would like a day out at Wembley!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 pm

He said he was going to look for Eli'sha, as last he heard she was still crying.

That was some time ago! :shock:

By the by, I don't think Freedman left high flying Palace for Bolton because he fancied taking a step back. I think he moved, because he believes there's more chance of impressing bigger clubs during an extended stay in the Premiership with Bolton, than a one season cameo with a Palace side rooted to the bottom of the division.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Enoch wrote:When Freedman took over at Crystal Palace on New Years Day 2011, they were rooted to the bottom of the Championship. Under Burley they were a rabble, Freedman, working with much the same group of players, dragged them out of the mire to comfortable survival.

Without making a fuss and with some astute work churning the squad, he left them 20 months later a well drilled, effective unit. I won't trouble mentioning their current league position.

As much as we all have an opinion, sometimes seeing things so obvious only a fool would miss them. In truth none of us armchair experts have a clue what's happening within the confines of the first team squad. Expecting things to change in the blink of an eye is pretty naive I fancy. I also believe Freedman brings a regime that will not suffer those that refuse to accept his standards and will weed out the luggage as early as is prudent.

Will it be playoffs this season? Entirely possible, but certainly not a given. Will the playing side of the club be better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning? Without a shadow of a doubt!

Anyone that isn't behind the Manager and his endeavor at this early stage will only make his task a little more demanding.

Ah a man that talks sense

Do stick around
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Seconded

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm

With your avatar it'll be hard not to!

Or do I just mean it'll be hard?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:From the armchair things seemed to have improved
In what way? Coyle was criticised for continually changing the team, leaving out players like Petrov and Sordell and picking players out of position. Yesterday we had yet another midfield line-up, N'gog playing on the wing and no sign of Petrov or Sordell. None of which would matter if we were picking up 3 points, but we're not.
Just so I can locate your viewpoint BL3, is it that you are saying Coyle was unfairly treated or that Freedman is a poor alternative ?

Or are you just being disagreeable for fun ?

I don't mind whichever, just so I known the basis for your antagonistic positions at the moment.
I think he's decided to go all out to oust Dan as top WUM.

Anyway, I haven't read all the match thread, I have a train journey tomorrow for that, but; we didn't play well at all but we still looked solid. I don't think even when on top they ever looked like scoring. In the end they scored the sort of goal you don't see every seven days. You just have to try not, as you're walking away, to rewind the goal. For the first time in a long time I'm not worried about crosses into the box, I expect a white head on it. Mills and Knight fine for me. It takes time, no miracles. Anybody panicking, can you fill me in?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 am

bobo the clown wrote:

Amen to that, thanks Enoch. Where's Eli ??
Don't ask questions like that Bobo or you will get a reply in an impenetrable Black Country accent or it's written equivalent.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 am

There are a few rumours doing the rounds that Freedman was shocked with the attitudes of some of our players and the general feeling around the squad that they are "far too good" for this division.

I wonder if by changing the team game to game, he's partly trying to drum into people that they shouldn't take their places for granted.

To be honest, I don't think there has ever been a great collective spirit or desire with our current squad since we got thumped at Wembley.......

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:There are a few rumours doing the rounds that Freedman was shocked with the attitudes of some of our players and the general feeling around the squad that they are "far too good" for this division.

I wonder if by changing the team game to game, he's partly trying to drum into people that they shouldn't take their places for granted.

To be honest, I don't think there has ever been a great collective spirit or desire with our current squad since we got thumped at Wembley.......

i think we've all moaned at one time or another about the players' attitudes - or at least what we can perceive from watching...

there was some noise from Freedman about putting the players in their place when he arrived - and some speculation on here that this meant he was going to sort out KD and his grip on the dressing room...

yesterday he was praising KD to the hilt as an awesome player and an example to younger players...

all of which doesn't add up to much - and all of that dressing-room stuff should be kept behind closed doors...

but maybe he's not finding it as easy as he imagined...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am

I can see Davies being a real problem

I'm one who thinks he has un unhealthy influence, but I can see he probably is an example of how to work hard and prepare yourself

Problem is, he's become a lumbering hindrance

So, maybe Freedman isn't quite sure how to deal with him

However, if he thinks he was great on Saturday, my first doubts will be tapping away

Once again, stifling our attempts to move the ball more quickly, missing good chances

I'm sick and tired of him
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20393613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The options are good to have, but you want the options that can win you games,"

"It's no good having 40 players and 35 of them are no good. During the week, I'm understanding who wants to push on with their careers."

"We've got to look at the squad and see if it's the squad depth that we need, or whether it's the quality."
Hmm, I think its clear what he thinks of our squad then..... :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20393613
"The options are good to have, but you want the options that can win you games,"

"It's no good having 40 players and 35 of them are no good. During the week, I'm understanding who wants to push on with their careers."

"We've got to look at the squad and see if it's the squad depth that we need, or whether it's the quality."
blimey - I hope the "35 of them are no good" is hyperbole!!!

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Perhaps if he picked in form players and played them in their strongest position we might see some results... or at least that what the experts on here kept telling us when Coyle was in charge.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Has he? From the same interview:

We have got the strength of squad that can push up the league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20346199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm

BL3 wrote:

Has he? From the same interview:

We have got the strength of squad that can push up the league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20346199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was a joke.......

Anyhow, thats not the same interview.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

i cant wait for him to 'clear the decks' as it were. there are absolutely no players id be upset to see gone.