Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Eagles for me. I'd be sad if Chungy went too, more for what we know he could be than how he is playing. Holden too for the same reasons. Kev for the history.

On how they have played in the not too distant past though, only Eagles.,
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

I'd be over the moon to get £1M for Kev but he was the only one to score for us against Barnsley so we need someone to step up, or bring someone in who's going to score goals. Odelusi? Forgot who said it now but someone wrote that the development squad was a joke and we should let them go and promote the u18s. If that's the case we're either going to have the youngest team in the league or it'll be expensive.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i cant wait for him to 'clear the decks' as it were. there are absolutely no players id be upset to see gone.
I'd be upset to see Eagles, CYL, Holden, Wheater & Bogdan go. As for the rest...well, say no more!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 pm

ill give you Holden and Wheater buts thats it.

Eagles would be a WHAA?? but id get over it. CYL would be a shame but i would see the positives, esp if there was cash for him.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:I'd be over the moon to get £1M for Kev but he was the only one to score for us against Barnsley so we need someone to step up, or bring someone in who's going to score goals. Odelusi? Forgot who said it now but someone wrote that the development squad was a joke and we should let them go and promote the u18s. If that's the case we're either going to have the youngest team in the league or it'll be expensive.

I think it's a risk - cos we'd have to try it to find out...

it is easy to say Kev is the only one of our strikers scoring goals - cos that's pretty much true... but it doesn't necessarily follow that if we dropped him that we would therefore get no goals...

maybe losing Kev would change the way we play and thus enable our other strikers to play in a way that suits them and thus open their scoring floodgates...

t'would be a risk, though - cos we just don't really know... (I hope they have at least had a look at it in training..)

whether that would happen - who knows!! - i am certainly not qualified to make that call...

(sorry - not really an answer to you AW - just the point at which I randomly jumped in!)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm

thebish wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:I'd be over the moon to get £1M for Kev but he was the only one to score for us against Barnsley so we need someone to step up, or bring someone in who's going to score goals. Odelusi? Forgot who said it now but someone wrote that the development squad was a joke and we should let them go and promote the u18s. If that's the case we're either going to have the youngest team in the league or it'll be expensive.

it is easy to say Kev is the only one of our strikers scoring goals - cos that's pretty much true... but it doesn't necessarily follow that if we dropped him that we would therefore get no goals...

maybe losing Kev would change the way we play and thus enable our other strikers to play in a way that suits them and thus open their scoring floodgates...

t'would be a risk, though - cos we just don't really know... (I hope they have at least had a look at it in training..)

whether that would happen - who knows!! - i am certainly not qualified to make that call...

(sorry - not really an answer to you AW - just the point at which I randomly jumped in!)
Thing is the most likely to go up front is NGog, and we know he isn't a goal machine, probably even less so than Davies is.......

I don't know what the answer is to be honest, we don't have an ideal striker in the squad as far as I can tell.....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Thing is the most likely to go up front is NGog, and we know he isn't a goal machine, probably even less so than Davies is.......

I don't know what the answer is to be honest, we don't have an ideal striker in the squad as far as I can tell.....
I guess i am asking how much our style is dictated by Kev being in the side. If he wasn't - would we play a much more "to feet" game - which I suspect would suit Ngog and sordell better. After all - what is the point of a lovely defense splitting pass to beat the offside trap if it is for Kevin Davies? were he not in the side - would we adapt and try that more - we do have players (eagles, MD, CYL) capable of reading the game and playing those passes....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:44 pm

We need to scout out and buy a striker (who can score). Assuming we don't have loads of dosh it'll need to be someone from basement bargains, young and upcoming from the pound shop. Otherwise sell N'gog or CYL (or both) and invest it all plus a bit. It's not rocket science, it's not even science, it's just common sense. Plus it won't be Dougle's team until he's sacked a few and bought a few.
(I still think the biggest mess is at the back though.)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

I guess i am asking how much our style is dictated by Kev being in the side. If he wasn't - would we play a much more "to feet" game - which I suspect would suit Ngog and sordell better. After all - what is the point of a lovely defense splitting pass to beat the offside trap if it is for Kevin Davies? were he not in the side - would we adapt and try that more - we do have players (eagles, MD, CYL) capable of reading the game and playing those passes....
I don't think we'd suddenly start doing that to be honest.

Its far less clear cut. For me the problem is the lack of movement, especially working the channels, so we rarely get in behind teams with Kev up front.

The downside was at Blackpool when Ngog was up there, was the ball didn't stick very often. So we didn't have many outballs. And he rarely got into a position where he looked like scoring. And lets be clear in every game we will need to hit long balls at the striker quite often, because simply we aren't good enough to ALWAYS play through midfield. We need to be able to mix it up.

To be honest right at the end when Davies came on, we looked threatening as he held the ball up a bit and we could keep some pressure up in their half.

With Davies we lack the mobility, with NGog we lack the ability to hold the ball up.

I'm coming round to the idea that both are good in short cameos but neither great for 90 minutes regularly.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

I don't think we'd suddenly start doing that to be honest.

Its far less clear cut.
I don't believe i said anything was clear cut.

fair do's to you though - you've been on a journey from arguing VERY strongly and persistently with me (and others) that we had a squad which was head and shoulders above anything else in the championship and that therefore anything short of top two would be a criminal catastrophe - to now saying that none of our four strikers is anywhere near up to it... all in the space of about 3 months...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Just to confuse things a little:

Sun Star Man: Kevin Davies. "Another all action display and a nice goal" Just thought I'd pop it in. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: With Davies we lack the mobility, with NGog we lack the ability to hold the ball .
Are you insane?

NGog holds the ball up much better than the manatee we have at the moment.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: With Davies we lack the mobility, with NGog we lack the ability to hold the ball .
Are you insane?

Um yes he is :D

Agreed tho i think Ngog holds the ball up better
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Are you insane?

He does sometimes. He didn't at Blackpool. And I think he holds it up well at feet, less so with the aerial stuff.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm

It's no good having 40 players and 35 of them are no good. During the week, I'm understanding who wants to push on with their careers.
Though I'm inclined to take anything a football manager says in earshot of the press with a pinch of salt, this may have been a case of thinking aloud.

Two things I'm confident of with Freedman at the helm:

There will only be one person in charge of the dressing room.

Inside of twelve months there won't be any passengers in the squad.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:26 pm

What about his comments regarding the squad being good enough to win promotion? Was he 'thinking aloud' again? Or should we take that with a pinch of salt as well? In fact, is there really any point in doing interviews at all, if each statement contradicts the previous one?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm sure if it were up to most managers, they wouldn't ever speak to the press. Unfortunately they are obliged to do so and in response to a never ending stream of ridiculous questions, they tend to trot out an equally unending stream of platitudes.

Take from them what you wish, but I'm more interested in what he does, than what he says.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 pm

BL3 wrote:What about his comments regarding the squad being good enough to win promotion? Was he 'thinking aloud' again? Or should we take that with a pinch of salt as well? In fact, is there really any point in doing interviews at all, if each statement contradicts the previous one?

God, you're a bore.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 pm

BL3 wrote:What about his comments regarding the squad being good enough to win promotion? Was he 'thinking aloud' again? Or should we take that with a pinch of salt as well? In fact, is there really any point in doing interviews at all, if each statement contradicts the previous one?
You're right BLT he clearly doesnt know what he's doing. Glad we've rumbled it early this time. Who should we get in next and how long should we give them?One press interview then sack em I reckon.

Now where is that clip of the pyphon thing about arguements when I need it. :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
You're right BLT he clearly doesnt know what he's doing. Glad we've rumbled it early this time. Who should we get in next and how long should we give them?One press interview then sack em I reckon.

Now where is that clip of the pyphon thing about arguements when I need it. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or did you want the full half-hour ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".