Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: With Davies we lack the mobility, with NGog we lack the ability to hold the ball .
Are you insane?

NGog holds the ball up much better than the manatee we have at the moment.
He does sometimes. He didn't at Blackpool. And I think he holds it up well at feet, less so with the aerial stuff.
KD doesn't hold it up that well from the aerial stuff - he flicks it on to a defender!!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 am

We need someone who can do a bit of everything up front, with the priority being goal scoring. Davies, N'Gog, Afobe or Sordell do not provide that complete package we need, nor do any have the ability to get us the goals we need for promotion. Think about Newcastle, when they had Nolan and Carroll. Think about Reading last year with Alfie and Roberts, or Southampton with Lambert.

We have the creativity in abundance. Chungy, Mavies, Petrov and Eagles are all going to create plenty of goal scoring chances but if you lack a goalscorer, you won't see a benefit from all that creativity. It's like having a Lamborghini Aventador against a line up of Lada's but if your supercar doesn't have any petrol, it's not going to win. We have the potential to get a lot of goals but we lack a natural goalscorer who can turn those chances into goals, and goals into points.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:18 am

So all we need is a strong, quick striker who can also hold the ball up aswell as get regular goals.

Nice one. There's a feckload of those around and they don't cost a bean either.

Sorted... What have we been worrying about all this time! Somebody phone Dougie and let him know.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am

boltonboris wrote:So all we need is a strong, quick striker who can also hold the ball up aswell as get regular goals.
If I were 30 years younger!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:So all we need is a strong, quick striker who can also hold the ball up aswell as get regular goals.

Nice one. There's a feckload of those around and they don't cost a bean either.

Sorted... What have we been worrying about all this time! Somebody phone Dougie and let him know.
By "a bit of everything" I mean head the ball, be able to pass it, be able to run with it and shoot. That's it, it's simple and yet we don't have it. N'Gog can't shoot or dribble. Davies is too slow. Sordell is worse than N'Gog, and Afobe is useless.

Even though he was limited, Klasnic would have been in double figures if he was still here.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Walcott has,nt signed a new contract and could be available in Jan,and Chelski are,nt using Sturridge.We should go for both and have the best frontline in,t Championship. :oyea: :pray:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Walcott has,nt signed a new contract and could be available in Jan,and Chelski are,nt using Sturridge.We should go for both and have the best frontline in,t Championship. :oyea: :pray:
Oh and grab Zaha so he can supply them..

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Must be a striker somewhere looking to get a game who can score goals and would fit into a 4231?
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Walcott has,nt signed a new contract and could be available in Jan,and Chelski are,nt using Sturridge.We should go for both and have the best frontline in,t Championship. :oyea: :pray:
Oh and grab Zaha so he can supply them..
He could also fill that tricky right-back position.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:00 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Must be a striker somewhere looking to get a game who can score goals and would fit into a 4231?
It's a nice idea but could be hard to find. Not sure how many strikers manage to be prolific in a 451. It's a system that really relies on goals from midfielders and Eagles aside there aint going to be too many of them.Mind you if you dont concede you only need one a game.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Glwn Murrays doing alright at palace

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Glwn Murrays doing alright at palace
True tho quite a few have been pens.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I'll be interested to see how Murray performs after Christmas. Holloway is about as different to Freedman as you could wish for, in terms of how he goes about his business. I'm ready to be proved wrong, but I think he might get lazy without Freedman's businesslike structure to keep him sharp.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Not sure that Holloway is that lax but it does sound like he dropped the ball at blackpool judging by recent comments. However he's inherited a team on a strong role so if he has the sense to keep it going and doesnt have many injuries/sales there's every chance they will go up. There's no need to fix anything at palace just keep it moving along.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Certainly there's more than one way to be a successful football manager and I'm not suggesting Holloway doesn't have a chance. My concern regard Murray, is whether he will thrive in the new environment, which will certainly be different to the well oiled way Freedman goes about his business.

To be honest, that might apply to a few of the Palace team, those that Freedman managed to get the best out of. Of course there may be others that react better to Holloway. We shall see. :o)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Freedman only really has a couple more games to show we are capable of reaching at least the play offs or we are i for a miserable season thanks to Gartsides inability to move fast when needed.
Coyle should have gone an hour after the Stoke game (most of us would have done it last Christmas latest) and its his failure to act swiftly that attention and our sights should turn on!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:Freedman only really has a couple more games to show we are capable of reaching at least the play offs or we are i for a miserable season thanks to Gartsides inability to move fast when needed.
Coyle should have gone an hour after the Stoke game (most of us would have done it last Christmas latest) and its his failure to act swiftly that attention and our sights should turn on!
Or perhaps we should just give Freedman a proper amount of time to sort us out.

What happened in the past can't be changed. No point getting angsty about it.

We need to move forward as quickly and well as we possibly can.

If that means ultimately we have to re-build then so be it. But we've been on sinking foundations for too long now.

I hope Freedman is someone who can rectify that.

Whether he is or isn't expecting it to happen overnight is just plain daft.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Hoboh wrote:we are i for a miserable season thanks to Gartsides inability to move fast when needed.
Gartside acted when there were still 36 games to play and we were 6 points off a play-off place and 10 points off an automatic promotion place.

There are now 29 games left and we are now 7 points off a play-off place and 13 points off an automatic promotion place.

You can only keep on blaming the previous management for so long.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Freedman only really has a couple more games to show we are capable of reaching at least the play offs or we are i for a miserable season thanks to Gartsides inability to move fast when needed.
Or perhaps we should just give Freedman a proper amount of time to sort us out.

What happened in the past can't be changed. No point getting angsty about it.

We need to move forward as quickly and well as we possibly can.

If that means ultimately we have to re-build then so be it. But we've been on sinking foundations for too long now.

I hope Freedman is someone who can rectify that.

Whether he is or isn't expecting it to happen overnight is just plain daft.
Well again,

We have the squad, we have the setup (despite Coyle) of a premier league club, we have most of the players from last season, we have a stated aim from the wooden chairperson of promotion this season, so please tell me were I'm going wrong :conf:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:15 pm

BL3 wrote:
Hoboh wrote:we are i for a miserable season thanks to Gartsides inability to move fast when needed.
Gartside acted when there were still 36 games to play and we were 6 points off a play-off place and 10 points off an automatic promotion place.

There are now 29 games left and we are now 7 points off a play-off place and 13 points off an automatic promotion place.

You can only keep on blaming the previous management for so long.
Pedantic!
A new man should have had the whole summer to form his squad and at least make sure they were fit enough to hit the ground runing.