Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by Relentless09 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Nothing better for a Club than a settled Manager who know,s what He,s doing.You only have to look at Clubs like,Manure/Everton/Arsenal,to see what it does for you.Anyone think Everton would have had a relegation if they had,nt stuck with Moyes..Given time Dougie will Know the ins and outs of this Club,like Fat Sam did.We all know that we would still be PL if Sam had stayed.Dougie needs time and I for one Really hope He gets it!
Promoted from manager to God. Not bad going for 3/4 of a season.
in which he has won 3 away games in the second tier..
Coyle failed to make the Reebok our "fortress" one of the main reasons we got relegated. Dougie has significantly improved our home form all be it in a lower league, sort your home form and the away form will come

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently if there was a mythical 'Dougie Freedman Football Club' that was the points earned at Palace and Bolton this season combined, it would be top of the league.

In other words combining Dougie Freedmans results at Palace and Bolton would leave said side top.

Just saying.......
Not so
Even Douglas couldn't repair kingcuntcoyles damage that quickly
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently if there was a mythical 'Dougie Freedman Football Club' that was the points earned at Palace and Bolton this season combined, it would be top of the league.

In other words combining Dougie Freedmans results at Palace and Bolton would leave said side top.

Just saying.......
Not so
Even Douglas couldn't repair kingcuntcoyles damage that quickly
Didn't check the maths but yes it appears someone has added up wrong.

Doh!

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Nothing better for a Club than a settled Manager who know,s what He,s doing.You only have to look at Clubs like,Manure/Everton/Arsenal,to see what it does for you.Anyone think Everton would have had a relegation if they had,nt stuck with Moyes..Given time Dougie will Know the ins and outs of this Club,like Fat Sam did.We all know that we would still be PL if Sam had stayed.Dougie needs time and I for one Really hope He gets it!
If He gets us up first shout,,He can be anything He wants as I will have fallen in Love with a Man.. :pray: :spank:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
If He gets us up first shout,,He can be anything He wants as I will have fallen in Love with a Man.. :pray: :spank:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Don't know where SF gets the boring and sour thing from, yes he can be defensive late in games but we were crying out for that after Coyle's gung-ho stupidity. he also seemms to inspire devotion in fans. Not just Palace but I think I read that Barnet fans recently voted him their greatest ever player after his prolific scoring for them early in his career, and Leeds fans loved him after a successful but short loan spell late in his career.
Looks like PG might have picked a cracker, and if we go up I hope all the haters will give him credit for a brave appointment.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 am

recently, DF seems to have perfected a model where we are ace for 10-20mins and go 1 or 2 goals up - and then turgid for the rest and concede and hang on...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 am

True but Palace did that for a while. When he left to join us they were battering teams and maintaining it for far longer. I'm sure he's not telling them to stop playing like that after 20 mins, it's just pragmatic to dig in when you've gone off the boil.

Freedman9
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Freedman9 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am

LeverEnd wrote:True but Palace did that for a while. When he left to join us they were battering teams and maintaining it for far longer. I'm sure he's not telling them to stop playing like that after 20 mins, it's just pragmatic to dig in when you've gone off the boil.
Freedman has his own model and way of doing things, you are correct with what he did with us, eventually once he was 'allowed' by our board to actually sign the players he wanted, the football was unbelievable with the results to go with it

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 am

has wilfried gone off the boil since his big money move?

CPFC4EVA
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CPFC4EVA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 am

jonnycooper wrote:
Thanks cpc...He,s certainly getting a lot of admirers up here now after a touchy start!! What do you,re lot think of Holloway as His replacement....My limited opinion is that Dougie will prove to be a far better Manager Long Term, than IH ever will?

Not an area I wish to discuss right now to be honest. Fan base is somewhat split 50/50 seeing as we have gone from looking like absolute dogs b**** to now look like utter dog poo! In short, IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION, he’s tinkered with the team, no ball on the ground playing through the midfield, using our incredibly fast wingers. Instead, hoofball up front and if in doubt throw on another attacker
Enoch wrote:Just to bring a touch of caution to the Freedman love-in, it's early days yet.
…………The late push toward playoff qualification has been great and I've certainly enjoyed the ride, but it's hardly been through polished displays of commanding football. At times since he took charge, we've played some sublime stuff, but it's been 10 or 15 minute spells and much of the rest has been efficient at best.
Palace fans might recognise some of our performances this year from the previous two seasons. September/October last year I watched Palace three times and the less jaundiced among them might confess they were playing with real quality. A very high tempo game and counter attacking at pace with the ball on the ground, they were a joy to watch.
Having experienced this myself, I feel I am best placed to comment on this. Listen, just trust him ok. He’s looking to build something with you guys. With the right business mind, buying and selling, he will come good. Well, even better I mean ;)
thebish wrote:recently, DF seems to have perfected a model where we are ace for 10-20mins and go 1 or 2 goals up - and then turgid for the rest and concede and hang on...
LeverEnd wrote:True but Palace did that for a while. When he left to join us they were battering teams and maintaining it for far longer. I'm sure he's not telling them to stop playing like that after 20 mins, it's just pragmatic to dig in when you've gone off the boil.
Again, trust what he is building for you. We had the same, keep the faith. One thing we have completely lost since DF exit, is the ability to keep hold of a lead. Oh what I would give to swap back to those performances even if sometimes they were slightly defensive and boring. It is now abuntly clear to me what he was trying to do. And he did it!!! But.. he then left  wahhhhhhh
What we have to endure now is a one trick pony style of play where the solution is to simply throw on another striker or attacking midfielder and the oppo simply catch us on the break. It's all so very glaringly obvious and we've been found out. Resulting in very low confidence on the pitch. We got on the scoresheet at the weekend and took the lead twice BUT.... they caught us on the break, defenders panicked (low confidence) Leicester gifted with 2 goal opportunities the ONLY opportunity they had all game, gifted by us :( Grrrrr

CPFC4EVA
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CPFC4EVA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 am

thebish wrote:has wilfried gone off the boil since his big money move?
NO. He's not getting much service tbh. As I said above, a little too much hoof ball going on for my liking. previously we were playing the ball on the ground through midfield and out to the wingers, Zaha & Bolassie. When Wilf has seen some action he continues to beat his man and whizzes the ball in the box. Sadly not much is being done on the receving end of those crosses. AGAIN, this is all my opinion of course. Some other Palace fans may beg to differ. Just reporting what I see on matchday ;)

CPFC4EVA
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CPFC4EVA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am

Only if you are genuinely interested - http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241374

The wheels came off at Brightom away. Something happened that day which is only just coming out and the damage that was done, IMO, is irreversable.
IH needs to be quiet, keep away from the media and interviews etc and simply concentrate on the job in hand and tdo his speaking on the pitch! That is all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am

CPFC4EVA wrote: IH needs to be quiet, keep away from the media and interviews etc
Aye. Good luck with that one. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

CPFC4EVA wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:
Thanks cpc...He,s certainly getting a lot of admirers up here now after a touchy start!! What do you,re lot think of Holloway as His replacement....My limited opinion is that Dougie will prove to be a far better Manager Long Term, than IH ever will?

Not an area I wish to discuss right now to be honest. Fan base is somewhat split 50/50 seeing as we have gone from looking like absolute dogs b**** to now look like utter dog poo! In short, IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION, he’s tinkered with the team, no ball on the ground playing through the midfield, using our incredibly fast wingers. Instead, hoofball up front and if in doubt throw on another attacker
Enoch wrote:Just to bring a touch of caution to the Freedman love-in, it's early days yet.
…………The late push toward playoff qualification has been great and I've certainly enjoyed the ride, but it's hardly been through polished displays of commanding football. At times since he took charge, we've played some sublime stuff, but it's been 10 or 15 minute spells and much of the rest has been efficient at best.
Palace fans might recognise some of our performances this year from the previous two seasons. September/October last year I watched Palace three times and the less jaundiced among them might confess they were playing with real quality. A very high tempo game and counter attacking at pace with the ball on the ground, they were a joy to watch.
Having experienced this myself, I feel I am best placed to comment on this. Listen, just trust him ok. He’s looking to build something with you guys. With the right business mind, buying and selling, he will come good. Well, even better I mean ;)
thebish wrote:recently, DF seems to have perfected a model where we are ace for 10-20mins and go 1 or 2 goals up - and then turgid for the rest and concede and hang on...
Again, trust what he is building for you. We had the same, keep the faith. One thing we have completely lost since DF exit, is the ability to keep hold of a lead. Oh what I would give to swap back to those performances even if sometimes they were slightly defensive and boring. It is now abuntly clear to me what he was trying to do. And he did it!!! But.. he then left  wahhhhhhh
What we have to endure now is a one trick pony style of play where the solution is to simply throw on another striker or attacking midfielder and the oppo simply catch us on the break. It's all so very glaringly obvious and we've been found out. Resulting in very low confidence on the pitch. We got on the scoresheet at the weekend and took the lead twice BUT.... they caught us on the break, defenders panicked (low confidence) Leicester gifted with 2 goal opportunities the ONLY opportunity they had all game, gifted by us :( Grrrrr
Given you "don't wish to discuss" whether DF or IH is the better, you've given us a fair bit to go off! I think I'd take a stab at who you prefer...

Cheers for coming back and giving us your views. I for one sincerely hope we play you again this season (as a Bolton fan living in Palace, looking north to Wembley...).
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 pm

This might be off the mark but I see Holloway as a more antagonistic version of Owen Coyle. Another Keegan-esque "just go out and play" one-trick pony of a manager that implodes the second he faces a bit of adversity. It's unfortunate for Palace that they didn't have the financial firepower to keep hold of Freedman.

Dougie, on the other hand, is like a more enigmatic Sam Allardyce. I actually think he's a very cool guy, whatever that means. All the signs were there - even when we were 20th - that he was going to turn this around. Kudos to everyone who saw beyond the bad results. Humble pie and contrition for the rest.

To see a team so mentally and physically unfit turned into a side that has ground out 8 home wins in a row with such discipline and resolve is truly impressive to me. The scale of the 'project' on and off the field, such was the damage done by Clueless, must have been daunting. I can only conclude that Freedman is the real deal. With every point he puts on the table he makes Owen Coyle look more and more ridiculous.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22293217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

They also don't start the 'run of wins' on the BBC graphic till 20th Feb but we'd beaten Burnley on the 9th Feb and then drew the next game. So all told the last fourteen games have been W10 D1 lost3
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

TKIZ! wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22293217?

They also don't start the 'run of wins' on the BBC graphic till 20th Feb but we'd beaten Burnley on the 9th Feb and then drew the next game. So all told the last fourteen games have been W10 D1 lost3
Played properly well in about 4 of them too.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 pm

True, but I'm more than happy with that.
Pfffft.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Just wait until we start playing well, then! #Champ1ons
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"