Bogdan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Bogdan

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:11 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Quite amusing to read this thread from the top after his performance on Tuesday. A little short-term version of the hindsight that quite a few folk are using by insisting they said at the time that we should keep the very saleable asset / unhappy reserve AAH, perhaps by leaving one of the club's biggest earners on his arse.

Well, they say they said it, but they don't provide proof...

:fishing:
Just ask a librarian then DSB. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , second post from Bobo provides proof of his assertion and he is joined by others in the thread.
do you mean the second post (which happens to be Bobo) or Bobo's second post?

if the former - then Bobo just says it is a shame - not that it is Coyle's biggest mistake or anything like that... It's a shame when we have to lose any of our decent players...

of course he may have said that kind of thing elsewhere - and if he says he has, then i am happy to believe him - but the one you quote shows a low "proof threshold" for librarians, that's all! :wink:
Wow. That was pretty good (the second post on there, whch was written by me).

Just to clarify ... it is/was a shame but I believe we should have binned Jussi & kept Ali, and had felt that for some time.

I thought I had made that assertion & I'm glad my memory is proven correct here. If I could be arsed I believe I could find that position from earlier threads.

I was very much of the view that (was it in the 'Megson-is-our-saviour' season ?), when Jussi got injured and Ali played the final 10-12 games and was superb, from then we would have done well to put our faith in Ali &, if Jussi didn't like it, sell him off. He was aging, very expensive and I never liked the way he'd hold us to ransom for months on end.

It wasn't intended to be nasty to Jussi, just that Ali was ready and would be a better long-term bet. Both Ali's progress at Wiggin and Jussi's poor form last year.

I still feel that's what we should have done.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:18 pm

I still feel we made the right call in selling Ali, we needed the cash short term for other areas. As wonderful as Wash is, perhaps not the best use of the cash. Where we went wrong was not bringing Jussi back in when he was fit.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Quite amusing to read this thread from the top after his performance on Tuesday. A little short-term version of the hindsight that quite a few folk are using by insisting they said at the time that we should keep the very saleable asset / unhappy reserve AAH, perhaps by leaving one of the club's biggest earners on his arse.

Well, they say they said it, but they don't provide proof...

:fishing:
Just ask a librarian then DSB. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , second post from Bobo provides proof of his assertion and he is joined by others in the thread.
do you mean the second post (which happens to be Bobo) or Bobo's second post? if the former - then Bobo just says it is a shame - not that it is Coyle's biggest mistake or anything like that... It's a shame when we have to lose any of our decent players... of course he may have said that kind of thing elsewhere - and if he says he has, then i am happy to believe him - but the one you quote shows a low "proof threshold" for librarians, that's all! :wink:
Indeed. If that's the proof of the pudding, I'm still hungry :D

And while it's a very nice offer, Monty, if folks are gonna play the Told You So card they could at least provide their own proof of their incredible foresight. Then, after that, perhaps they can go about explaining what else we should have done when we couldn't pick both an unsettled £4m asset and a high earner challenging for the same position. There was a lot of Championship Manager thinking.
Let me quote:
bobo the clown wrote:A real shame, but they must have enormous faith in Bogdan.

I have to say I'm still in the "thanks Jussi" camp .... given age & potential. That may seem ungrateful, but gratitude doesn't catch crosses.

Still, best of luck to him. Shame though also that he, with N'Zogbia, are probably the reason Wigan aren't cut adrift at the bottom.
I think the second sentence makes it clear that he would have kept Al-Habsi and said thanks and goodbye to Jussi given the age and potential of the two. You can construe it how you will.

I assumed you investigative reporter types might have read a little further in the thread. But perhaps spoonfeeding is required.
General Mannerheim wrote:i would rather sell 36 year old Jussi and keep 29 year old Al Habsi.
plymouth wanderer wrote:
agreed jussi been awesome but we can get another 10 years out of ali not to mention jussi's probably get's more than treble wat ali-habsi get's u no cutting cost's and al that
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I'd be sad to see us shop Jussi around. You just don't see that many guys playing for a club for 13 years, especially a player as good as Jussi at a club as modest as ours. If an Arsenal or a Man U came in for him and he wanted to go, I wouldn't begrudge him a shot at the Champions League, but if nobody is interested I think we have to sell Ali and keep faith with Bogdan.
Is football a matter of loyalty or business sense? I'm kind of with the general on this one. If he wants to stay for his twilight years, perhaps it should be backup to Ali. When Jussi retires we would have young Bogdan as backup to Ali, and we could loan him out to Wigan.
I could perhaps go on, but why bother.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 pm

:conf: because you picked out Bobo as your example of "proof"??

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:I still feel we made the right call in selling Ali, we needed the cash short term for other areas. As wonderful as Wash is, perhaps not the best use of the cash. Where we went wrong was not bringing Jussi back in when he was fit.
I'd agree that Bogdan keeping Jussi out from the day he was dropped right through to the season end wasn't bright, but hey-ho, look who did that.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Jussi wasn't dropped, he was injured. Boggers came in, had a few decent games and so stayed in when Jussi came back. No problem with the principle of it, but Boggers performances then dropped and Jussi should have been reinstated.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 pm

thebish wrote::conf: because you picked out Bobo as your example of "proof"??
No, Bish. DSB suggested that people were now saying they would have kept Ali instead of Jussi. These included Bobo and myself. He then said "Well, they say they said it, but they don't provide proof...". So I merely linked him to the thread where these things were discussed. I highlighted Bobo a) because he was one of the ones who said he had said it originally and b) because his was the second post in the thread.

It is not that complicated. Some of us did say it at the time and a perusal of the thread should prove this even to the most obtuse. I don't see why you are :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
No, Bish. DSB suggested that people were now saying they would have kept Ali instead of Jussi. These included Bobo and myself. He then said "Well, they say they said it, but they don't provide proof...". So I merely linked him to the thread where these things were discussed. I highlighted Bobo a) because he was one of the ones who said he had said it originally and b) because his was the second post in the thread.

It is not that complicated. Some of us did say it at the time and a perusal of the thread should prove this even to the most obtuse. I don't see why you are :conf:
I was just querying the strength of you naming Bobo and picking out his post specifically as proof. Had you just linked the thread - there are MANY much better examples there! it was YOU who singled out Bobo! - yet the proof for Bobo is by far the weakest! that's all..

in your words... it's not complicated! :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Oh well, it's a good job you're not so arsed about proof these days anyway....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I was just querying the strength of you naming Bobo and picking out his post specifically as proof. Had you just linked the thread - there are MANY much better examples there! it was YOU who singled out Bobo! - yet the proof for Bobo is by far the weakest! that's all..

in your words... it's not complicated! :wink:
You may have the last word, bish - you always insist on that anyway. I did link to the beginning of the thread. I assumed that , having found the thread, people would read on to see who agreed and who did not. I noted Bobo's view, which seemed quite clear to me, because it was the first response, not on the basis of relative strength, and also because he was the one accused of being wise after the event. However, I apologize for my lack of clarity and leaving DSB hungry for more and you confused. Mea culpa.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

lol! the old last post declaring that the other person can have the last word trick!! 8)

(nobody accused Bobo specifically, did they - unless I missed something! DSB certainly didn't... You were the first to out him!)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I feel used !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I feel used !
8) a pawn in an intercontinental game, casually tossed and turned on the rolling ocean of Friday time-wasting opportunism....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 am

the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Who is the gk coach now? is it still that muppet coyle employed? I think Bogdan can still be a too keeper but he needs some coaching...asap.
New guy has come in with Freedman.
We do /

Who ?

(I'm sure I've seen that somewhere before !)

I don't know his name.
I just know we have got someone new :conf:
Beware opinion stated as fact!

Good point officer_dibble. At this moment, Phil Hughes, 'that muppet coyle employed', is still in place. Freedman's goalkeeping coach, Lee Turner, is currently still working at Crystal Palace.

I don't think saving a few shots one night, when the opposition play through the middle, makes up for his poor performance when the opposition throw in crosses for 90 minutes. We'll see a lot more Cardiffs than Leicesters this season. As for the face save, if he'd dealt with the corner in the first place, he could have saved himself the pain.

Can a different coach produce a better Bogdan, quite possibly. Would that be good enough? It remains to be seen.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 am

He seemed decent again yesterday. Not a lot to do with the goal, made one good save first half, caught pretty much everything else. Not a worry atm, for the first time in a while.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I thought their keeper was excellent...made every save and catch look easy through good positioning

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:He seemed decent again yesterday. Not a lot to do with the goal, made one good save first half, caught pretty much everything else. Not a worry atm, for the first time in a while.
Overall better, though he did, on about 80m make a near post save where he parried the ball back into the 6yd box. Their player buggered it up &, I think, hit the post.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:He seemed decent again yesterday. Not a lot to do with the goal, made one good save first half, caught pretty much everything else. Not a worry atm, for the first time in a while.
Overall better, though he did, on about 80m make a near post save where he parried the ball back into the 6yd box. Their player buggered it up &, I think, hit the post.
Boggers predicted he'd do that - so it was ok...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Oh aye I'd forgotten that! It looked like he got up quick and actually saved the follow up from where I was though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:I thought their keeper was excellent...made every save and catch look easy through good positioning
Not convinced any other keeper wouldn't have done the same. His positioning was stand fairly central and we'll pass it to you!