Muamba's book

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Muamba's book

Post by Athers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 am

It's pretty decent, especially considering they wrote it in 5 weeks which is surely rather incredible for these things. It's a quick read but surely better than most footballer's books.

As you'd expect heavily focused on the month of being in hospital and we get a full minute by minute on everything which happened. We know of course his life story is eventful before that - from playing with blown up balloons and shopping bags to the Premier League. The drive and determination he seems to have is a constant throughout. One I've seen in other footballer's life stories who weren't the most talented at first but were the most determined to improve. What we haven't heard before is that he repeatedly lost his rag while in hospital out of frustration - his crisis point came in the hospital while everyone else's came at the time of the incident.

At one point during his chapter on the frustration of not being a regular for Bolton he mentions the stats of results when he was playing and not playing - he must be referring to Keveh's stats!

There are a few bits on Bolton dotted throughout it. That Megson used to totally lose his temper and scream his head off at them during a half time, while Fab and others stood there thinking he was an idiot. Nolan shouted back at him. He mentions how shocked everyone was when Nolan was swiftly sold, but is complimentary about Davies taking over as leader of the dressing room. Can't really remember anything hugely remarkable but there are nice little bits which make you proud of the club. His tiff and thoughts to move elsewhere have already been reprinted by the BEN.

Nothing but utmost praise for the club in the aftermath, but he doesn't want to hang around the training ground as that part of his life is over and he couldn't take the constant reminders you suspect.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Muamba's book

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:38 am

im about 150 pages in, all that stuff about coming home to find his first pair of football boots on the table had me welling up!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 am

Athers wrote:At one point during his chapter on the frustration of not being a regular for Bolton he mentions the stats of results when he was playing and not playing - he must be referring to Keveh's stats!
I'm famous!

Surprised he didn't give me a call and ask my permission.

:edit: I still often check that he still follows me on Twitter. He does :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 am

Have got my book but I'm working through a couple of others before I start it. Looking forward to reading it though - it was written by a friend of mine, so hoping for something good!

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Fabrice made an emotional return to the Lane last night. Was introduced to fans who gave him a magnificent reception that brought him to tears.

Top lad. Wish him all the best for the future.
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but i think that God's got a sick sense of humour and when i die i expect to find him laughing

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

TTID wrote:Fabrice made an emotional return to the Lane last night. Was introduced to fans who gave him a magnificent reception that brought him to tears.

Top lad. Wish him all the best for the future.
Thanks for that and your support through it all mate.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:59 pm

And it turns out he almost went in the jungle too...!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... 14335.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

scotty wrote:And it turns out he almost went in the jungle too...!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... 14335.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That would have been utter foolishness.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Bought it on Monday, haven't had chance to read it yet though.


mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

adamworthy2002 wrote:Bought it on Monday, haven't had chance to read it yet though.
Thanks for that - any other shopping to declare, while you're on?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 am

:D

Mum bought it for our kid for xmas today. I might pinch it just to see.

She got it from Tesco for the record. Good price I think.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Bought it today and queued with a few hundred others to get it signed. looking forward to reading it when it's given back to me at Christmas or my birthday.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion