The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm

BL3 wrote:The stated priority is promotion this season. If it's now a long term goal, what was the point of changing the manager 10 games in?
If we don't go up this season, it most certainly won't be because Coyle was sacked!

Whether or not Freedman can produce a promotion winning side from what he's inherited, remains to be seen. History suggests it's possible, I remain optimistic.

As a fan, there are limited things one can do to influence events. Apart from supporting the club financially at the turnstile and elsewhere, I guess the biggest influence we can exert is to get behind the team, hopefully lifting performance in some way.

I very much doubt being negative at every opportunity helps the cause.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 pm

BL3 wrote: The stated priority is promotion this season. If it's now a long term goal, what was the point of changing the manager 10 games in? There's an awful lot of complacency on here about us pushing on next season. If we don't go up this season, the odds will be a lot longer next season.
Because Owen you were quite frankly the worst manager in the last 20 ish years. You wasted money on shit signings that couldnt play in your only formation. You ruined the fitness of our playing squad assetts through your half arsed training sessions. You outstayed your welcome by about 12 months. Leave us alone!

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Enoch wrote:If we don't go up this season, it most certainly won't be because Coyle was sacked!
I don't remember anyone saying that it would, but i'd question the point of hiring a new manager if he thinks that promotion is some sort of long term plan.
Enoch wrote:Whether or not Freedman can produce a promotion winning side from what he's inherited, remains to be seen.
What he inherited was a squad that was favourites for the title at the start of the season. If can't get the best out of them, maybe we should have hired someone who could.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Enoch wrote:I very much doubt being negative at every opportunity helps the cause.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 pm

It didn't help the previous manager either but it happened regardless.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I don't think what we talk about on here impacts the manager much, either then or now.

He got sacked because he was shit. That put our long term aims back by at least 10 games, this season. He should have been flirted last October. Sometimes, you just have to acknowledge that it wasn't working.

Saturday wasn't good, but hardly a "trend" either. The downward spiral under Coyle had been getting worse, each game you added to it over a long term.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm

As I recall, the previous manager was welcomed with open arms at the start of 2010. How folk felt 28 months later was surely a consequence of his best endeavour.

Freedman is not responsible for Coyle's fate. Freedman might be judged on what Freedman achieves, not on what happened before he arrived.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Breaking news. Owen Coyle is no longer the manager. He hasn't been the manager for the last seven games. The club made a change after 10 games to 'get back on track' and win promotion this season, not next season, or the season after but the excuses have started already.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 pm

I can't say I've seen any evidence of folk making excuses for the new manager.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 pm

BL3 wrote:
Enoch wrote:Whether or not Freedman can produce a promotion winning side from what he's inherited, remains to be seen.
What he inherited was a squad that was favourites for the title at the start of the season. If can't get the best out of them, maybe we should have hired someone who could.
So you acknowledge it was right to sack Coyle then? Great! That's a start.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Enoch wrote:I can't say I've seen any evidence of folk making excuses for the new manager.
'We would have lost that with Coyle in charge'. 'The players aren't good enough'. 'He's trying things out'. I could go on. We might as well have stuck with Jimmy Phillips if we wanted someone who's still learning the job.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm

As I said, I can't say I've seen any evidence of folk making excuses for the new manager.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I agree with BL3,Freedman is rubbish.He's come in supposedly to get us promoted and has achieved nothing.We're no nearer going up now than we were under coyle. Thats no improvement. Trying Ngog on the wing,picking Pratley to start 451 WTF. He's just floundering about grasping for ideas while this premiership quality squad goes to waste.
There were a million better choices available than what we went with.Gartside should go too,We've only won 1 in 4 since DF came in and squandered leads in the last two. It's the new manager that is at fault . The buck stops with him. I'm sick of his apologists coming on with all this nonsense about it being the fault of the previous manager. My pitchfork and torch are primed,defeat at Brighton and he has to go. We'll never go up at this rate and the only man to blame for that is the manager

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Yep Dougie out. I know he hasnt had a transfer window yet but that nice person butterfield on loan has convinced me he's going to sell Eagles for 5 million and spend it on a couple of Andorran fullbacks who he is going to play on their wrong wings gor 5 matches then drop em. Jocko prick.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Yep Dougie out. I know he hasnt had a transfer window yet but that tw*t butterfield on loan has convinced me he's going to sell Eagles for 5 million and spend it on a couple of Andorran fullbacks who he is going to play on their wrong wings gor 5 matches then drop em. Jocko prick.
Exactly, forgot that, name me a decent manager to come out of scotland who didnt represent Eire! I dont like his name either sounds like a hippy getting out of the nick. How can anyone have respect for a man like that.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 pm

It's like Groundhog Day this thread.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I agree with BL3,
You had me going up to that bit! :shock:

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I agree with BL3,Freedman is rubbish.He's come in supposedly to get us promoted and has achieved nothing.We're no nearer going up now than we were under coyle. Thats no improvement. Trying Ngog on the wing,picking Pratley to start 451 WTF. He's just floundering about grasping for ideas while this premiership quality squad goes to waste.
There were a million better choices available than what we went with.Gartside should go too,We've only won 1 in 4 since DF came in and squandered leads in the last two. It's the new manager that is at fault . The buck stops with him. I'm sick of his apologists coming on with all this nonsense about it being the fault of the previous manager. My pitchfork and torch are primed,defeat at Brighton and he has to go. We'll never go up at this rate and the only man to blame for that is the manager

Satire, right? I'm a little drunk and my radar's wonky...

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm

BL3 wrote:Breaking news. Owen Coyle is no longer the manager. He hasn't been the manager for the last seven games. The club made a change after 10 games to 'get back on track' and win promotion this season, not next season, or the season after but the excuses have started already.

I don't care that we have different views – football's not that important to me. What's doing my head in, and making this website depressing to visit, is that you're an obnoxious, arrogant bore. Please feck off.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Sponge wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I agree with BL3,Freedman is rubbish.He's come in supposedly to get us promoted and has achieved nothing.We're no nearer going up now than we were under coyle. Thats no improvement. Trying Ngog on the wing,picking Pratley to start 451 WTF. He's just floundering about grasping for ideas while this premiership quality squad goes to waste.

Satire, right? I'm a little drunk and my radar's wonky...
Yes Sponge, actually I'm going to stop bothering responding to Mr Shouty. It's pissing me off and youre right it's getting hard to have a calm intelligent conversation on here.All feels like a bit of a silly game so time to stop playing I reckon.