Match day bus

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Match day bus

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 pm

I am a first time poster but have been reading posts on this site for a few months and find it, on the whole to be an informative hub of reasoned debate!
I was just wondering what the concensus was on the pending increase in fares for the matchday bus. My thoughts are that it is still very good value for money for adults but at a cost of 3 pound return for juniors, it now works out at being more expensive over the course of a season than a season ticket! In my opinion, it should be reduced for juniors as this fare my discourage younger fans from attending.

Any thoughts?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Match day bus

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

The R457 from Flimley is good value for £3.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Is that from the Rose and Crown? Or further up?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

PC1978 wrote:I am a first time poster but have been reading posts on this site for a few months and find it, on the whole to be an informative hub of reasoned debate!
oh you are very much mistaken!! 8)

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:Is that from the Rose and Crown? Or further up?

3 pound return or 2 pound single from everywhere. Even for my young son who gets on all GMPTE buses for free. Increase comes into effect for Barnsley game.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 pm

thebish wrote:
PC1978 wrote:I am a first time poster but have been reading posts on this site for a few months and find it, on the whole to be an informative hub of reasoned debate!
oh you are very much mistaken!! 8)
I know :wink:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:22 pm

3 bobx standard bus fare innit
you get off the ground quicker but parkings fine if there are more than two of you

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:3 bobx standard bus fare innit
you get off the ground quicker but parkings fine if there are more than two of you
It is a good service, don't get me wrong. But it goes up to 3 quid return on Saturday as Tyrers are taking over from First. I just think that it is a bit steep for kids.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 pm

£3 is still much cheaper than 'normal' bus services. Used to use the match buses every week but these days I tend to drive and just park on the retail park and still back to Leigh sooner than the match buses.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't mind the buses. Still good value, too. Get in the Bulls head. Sink a few Baltikas take one on the bus. Get dropped off outside the bull again on the way back and have a few more!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Granted its gone up 50% which is scandalous, however my 16 year old son and his mates will still look at it as either a ten minute bus ride or a 35 minute walk, possibly in the pishing rain, so they'll pay it. Or rather, I probably will as he seems to get to the match with empty pockets, hungry and thirsty whenever I drop him off :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Used to use the bus before I could drive and there was always a complete tosser on it that used to whine regardless of performance. He's probably on one of the forums to be honest. This was under the days of Allardyce when we were pissing the division.

It's a bit of a ridiculous rise, but the people who get the bus tend to be people who either can't drive or want a few pints at the game so they'll end up going on it regardless.

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

As far as i can remember its the first price increase since the service started, which after considerable hikes in fuel over the last few years it could be a lot more expensive than it is.

I only tend to use it of going on the beer in town after the match, and think its a cracking service.

Admittedly, same price for kids is a bit steep.