Next Up - Dioufy's Dirty Leeds

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Next Up - Dioufy's Dirty Leeds

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:36 pm

So, let's see, we're not the worst team that ever was, we have no money, we're re-organising under a new manager, playing better football than all the 4-4-2 that folk were squealing about, starting to come together, and you want to get rid of everybody? Eagles, our main goal threat and a decent player is now useless and the rest can go. Hmm. Sounds like a plan to me......not. As for playing N'gog up front for a few games, just when is he available for a few games without some sort of injury? We've had a lousy time with injuries, Holden still not fully fit, Mills and Wheater still out, Chungy just coming back to fitness, Warnock and Afobe on loan and players that still haven't played together all that often. What do you really expect? If it's miracles, Lourdes is just a short flight away.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Head ruled heart so I didn't end up going and boy was I glad when I saw the score.

I had a much better time eating meatballs in Ikea.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 pm

I think a potent striker would really lift the mood at the club, not to mention get essential goals. I don't think we're anywhere near threatening enough up front, no matter who we play. N'Gog seems the liveliest but he can be awful. Afobe is useless, Sordell is a bench warmer and Davies just hasn't got enough going forward. Crucially, I think Davies lacks pace and he tries to get too involved when he's up front on his own.

A striker who can get us 2 goals every 3 games or something like that would be ideal. That's the position which is going to let us down most this season. It doesn't even matter if that player doesn't contribute to the team as a whole, like Davies does, a greedy, selfish goalscorer will do.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm

“I have been here for 12 games and I have assessed many things that are wrong with the club,” Freedman said.

“Let’s not hold punches here – there are many things that need to change and on the pitch is one of them.

“We have got to start learning that when we control a game like we did today that clean sheets are vital.

“I think we have got to understand the division we are in and what it takes.

“The attitude of several individuals has got to be one of seeing these games out.
Seems Dougie doesn't like the attitude of some in the camp.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 am

ChrisC wrote:
“I have been here for 12 games and I have assessed many things that are wrong with the club,” Freedman said.

“Let’s not hold punches here – there are many things that need to change and on the pitch is one of them.

“We have got to start learning that when we control a game like we did today that clean sheets are vital.

“I think we have got to understand the division we are in and what it takes.

“The attitude of several individuals has got to be one of seeing these games out.
Seems Dougie doesn't like the attitude of some in the camp.
Just home and thought I'd better show my face in case I get told off!

You don't suppose he read my bullshit thread do you Chris? :doh:

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 am

Does the table lie at his point in the season? I think not. Talented, expensive squad that is seriously underachieving. On our day we can beat anyone ... Or be beaten by anyone. Peterborough, Sheffield Wednesday ... This season is agony.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I haven't seen anything of the game, but even assuming we were brilliant but robbed, it's another defeat and another game where we've failed to follow up on a win. We're now at least 8 points from the playoffs (Watford have a very winnable game in hand against Bristol City) and 7 points from the relegation zone.

For those keeping score...

We now need to win every single game between now and the end of the season to reach our pre-season target of two points per game.

We now need to amass over two points in every single game (2.15 to be exact) to reach the 75 points usually needed to scrape the last playoff place.

r0ckpaperscissors
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by r0ckpaperscissors » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

I was at the game in the Leeds end. It's worth noting at the start that I've been to Elland Road on five separate occasions this season and our away following was by far and away the smallest of any team that I've witnessed there. I know it was January 1st, but I was really disappointed by the turnout (even though I didn't help by sitting with the home fans).

Second, I'm a fan of Dougie so far. He has made us more solid at the back, whilst still getting us to play football, rather than the hoofball approach adopted by Leeds. In my opinion this will work we'll for us in the long term. Yes it's patient (read: boring) at times, but I'd rather we had the ball than the opposition and this possession game certainly gives us that. The only thing letting us down is the actual quality of our players. Too many people unable to complete a pass successfully (pratley, afobe, zat), too many players going missing from their position (eagles when the ball is in the middle, lee not making the right runs when mears gets up in support, the whole central midfield when Davies holds up the ball with his head), nobody capable of actually putting the ball in the net, and defenders who are too liable to give fouls away in the penalty box.

It was individual mistakes that have cost us again. Not only in the goal, but also causing our attacking play to break down. Wholesale changes won't help, buy one or two more solid players who can do the simple stuff will turn us around. Then we won't be relying on show-ponies who can't also get stuck in (eagles, Alonso).

Interestingly, I noticed that Alonso was clearly injured yesterday (a groin problem) which really inhibited his runs and gave us less attacking support than we should have had. He would probably have made the difference to our whole attacking set up had he not been held up by injury, and yet he wasn't substituted.

I'm looking forward to January to see go we can bring in to play the simple game better, even though I was in a really bad mood after the final whistle yesterday.
contrite contrarian

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:so yeah.....

I thought this pic was ace when I saw it at the weekend but it appears to have been causing a bit of a SM storm according to the DM....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... layer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by newcarsmell on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Some people really need to get a life.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 am

r0ckpaperscissors wrote:I was at the game in the Leeds end. It's worth noting at the start that I've been to Elland Road on five separate occasions this season and our away following was by far and away the smallest of any team that I've witnessed there. I know it was January 1st, but I was really disappointed by the turnout (even though I didn't help by sitting with the home fans).

Second, I'm a fan of Dougie so far. He has made us more solid at the back, whilst still getting us to play football, rather than the hoofball approach adopted by Leeds. In my opinion this will work we'll for us in the long term. Yes it's patient (read: boring) at times, but I'd rather we had the ball than the opposition and this possession game certainly gives us that. The only thing letting us down is the actual quality of our players. Too many people unable to complete a pass successfully (pratley, afobe, zat), too many players going missing from their position (eagles when the ball is in the middle, lee not making the right runs when mears gets up in support, the whole central midfield when Davies holds up the ball with his head), nobody capable of actually putting the ball in the net, and defenders who are too liable to give fouls away in the penalty box.

It was individual mistakes that have cost us again. Not only in the goal, but also causing our attacking play to break down. Wholesale changes won't help, buy one or two more solid players who can do the simple stuff will turn us around. Then we won't be relying on show-ponies who can't also get stuck in (eagles, Alonso).

Interestingly, I noticed that Alonso was clearly injured yesterday (a groin problem) which really inhibited his runs and gave us less attacking support than we should have had. He would probably have made the difference to our whole attacking set up had he not been held up by injury, and yet he wasn't substituted.

I'm looking forward to January to see go we can bring in to play the simple game better, even though I was in a really bad mood after the final whistle yesterday.
It was £36 on New Years day, no wonder the away end was empty!
Troll and proud of it.