Palace Game

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Palace Game

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Why is he on an American network?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Why is he on an American network?
cos he is badass...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Two months ago, I seem to remember the consensus on here was that our defence was dreadful, as it surely was. Today was the first league game this season Crystal Palace have failed to score at home.

I'm not suggesting we couldn't do with some better players, I'm sure we could do with some better players, just suggesting that the bit of the week between matches isn't being totally wasted.

Oh! And wasn't Alonso a complete waste of space?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Decent point, looks like they were having a good go at winning it, even before the late subs. Not winning today isn't a problem, not winning against millwall was. Need to follow up with some home wins. On the plus side if someone had written on here a month ago that Warnock would go back to his fat Prem reserve salary and subsequently our defence would improve with Alonso and Ream in it....?
A great point LE and to be fair, given that we have conceeded two goals a game on average, things seem to be on their way to being sorted at the back with one to come back in and a new CB either on the way or in the bag.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Jugs wrote:Is Freedman playing mind-games with Sordell?
Could be fitness. Who knows.
If it's fitness then he shouldn't even be on the bench. feck only knows what signal this sends to Sordell. Utterly atrocious man-management as far as I can tell.
It's not fitness. He said last week that his fitness is exactly where it needs to be.

I agree that it's god awful player management. Sends out a signal of "don't bother working hard, we're still playing a traffic cone in front of you"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:43 pm

boltonboris wrote:I agree that it's god awful player management.
What's that statement based on?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Enoch wrote:Two months ago, I seem to remember the consensus on here was that our defence was dreadful, as it surely was. Today was the first league game this season Crystal Palace have failed to score at home.

I'm not suggesting we couldn't do with some better players, I'm sure we could do with some better players, just suggesting that the bit of the week between matches isn't being totally wasted.

Oh! And wasn't Alonso a complete waste of space?
Alonso is a decent player with potential to improve, personally I'd prefer to see him play higher up the pitch as more of a left winger -but like a lot of players they need a decent run of games.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Jugs wrote:Is Freedman playing mind-games with Sordell?
Could be fitness. Who knows.
If it's fitness then he shouldn't even be on the bench. feck only knows what signal this sends to Sordell. Utterly atrocious man-management as far as I can tell.
It's not fitness. He said last week that his fitness is exactly where it needs to be.

I agree that it's god awful player management. Sends out a signal of "don't bother working hard, we're still playing a traffic cone in front of you"
It was down to his fitness. Sordell was fit before the Sunderland game but can't play two games in a week. That's fair enough, I think.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Jugs wrote: What's tiresome is hearing of these 'whole host of reasons' why he might not play. It's not good enough; its vague and offers nothing. 'A whole host' also suggests that there's an absolute myriad of reasons. How many reasons can there be? Is the situation really that complex? The simple fact is that we need goals and he can score them. If Freedman can give me a whole host of reasons why he didn't get a minute today then I wouldn't accept them, not even if there were a hundred or a thousand reasons to accept. The lad scores three goals in two games against superior opposition and then cannot get a minute - it's perplexing and, as a fan, its deeply frustrating, particularly when the score is 0-0 and we need a winner. The frustration and bewilderment is further increased when two strikers are thrown on - and neither of them are Sordell. If my frustration and bewilderment spills out onto a forum and translates into the linguistic manifestation of a spoiled teenager then so be it. Commenting on a game rarely calls for eloquence when you're a fan and want to see your team get a goal. Passion brims over. Restraint can be ignored.
I don't know why he didn't play. You didn't know why and no one on here knows why. A whole host of reasons means just that.There are many reasons why the decision could have been made. Maybe Sordell got out of bed the wrong side. Maybe he wanted to start with more experience given the probable intensity of this match. Maybe he is bringing him on slowly. Maybe he was late turning up. Maybe he caught him in the loo tweeting. If you were discussing the reasons that'd be fine in my book. You weren't though. You just posted a series of little whines. Why is Mears playing when he is shit. Why isn't Sordell playing he's good. And so on.

I'm not saying I agree with Dougie's choices. Hell, I didn't want him as our manager. 1 line whines doesn't add to the debate. There is no analysis beyond he score 2 goals. Irony is, I'm whining about your whining :wink:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Can't play 2 games in a week?!?

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Apparently Sordell was warming up but his hamstring felt stiff – perhaps because of the cold – so Dougie decided not to risk him.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Before the game?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Before the game?

Dunno, I made it up.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Maybe even yesterday, it's not unheard of.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Given we are not allowed to win two on the bounce thsts as good is it could get.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Jugs wrote: What's tiresome is hearing of these 'whole host of reasons' why he might not play. It's not good enough; its vague and offers nothing. 'A whole host' also suggests that there's an absolute myriad of reasons. How many reasons can there be? Is the situation really that complex? The simple fact is that we need goals and he can score them. If Freedman can give me a whole host of reasons why he didn't get a minute today then I wouldn't accept them, not even if there were a hundred or a thousand reasons to accept. The lad scores three goals in two games against superior opposition and then cannot get a minute - it's perplexing and, as a fan, its deeply frustrating, particularly when the score is 0-0 and we need a winner. The frustration and bewilderment is further increased when two strikers are thrown on - and neither of them are Sordell. If my frustration and bewilderment spills out onto a forum and translates into the linguistic manifestation of a spoiled teenager then so be it. Commenting on a game rarely calls for eloquence when you're a fan and want to see your team get a goal. Passion brims over. Restraint can be ignored.
I don't know why he didn't play. You didn't know why and no one on here knows why. A whole host of reasons means just that.There are many reasons why the decision could have been made. Maybe Sordell got out of bed the wrong side. Maybe he wanted to start with more experience given the probable intensity of this match. Maybe he is bringing him on slowly. Maybe he was late turning up. Maybe he caught him in the loo tweeting. If you were discussing the reasons that'd be fine in my book. You weren't though. You just posted a series of little whines. Why is Mears playing when he is shit. Why isn't Sordell playing he's good. And so on.

I'm not saying I agree with Dougie's choices. Hell, I didn't want him as our manager. 1 line whines doesn't add to the debate. There is no analysis beyond he score 2 goals. Irony is, I'm whining about your whining :wink:
I'm just frustrated with Bolton, mate, and the Bolton match-day topics have a habit of bringing out my most primal rages and frustrations and I'll admit that during a game, I'm not exactly verbose on here or willing to enter into a discussion. By the same token, though, entering into a discussion would have detracted much more from listening to the game. Honestly, though, I can't see a concrete argument against Sordell getting a few minutes today. You've posited a few and fair play for trying but I'm to remain perplexed about this one for a while. Haven't we scored one goal in our last three league games? And, conversely, we've scored four in our last two cup games, with Sordell grabbing three? I wasn't whining about him not starting - I actually somewhat agreed with going for Davies upfront - but what irked me was Ngog and Cravies getting on before him. I can't help but be reminded of Klasnic's limited game-time and I fear that we're going through the same thing again. Yes, we continually had to accept that there were reasons why he didn't get much game-time but the reasons never seemed adequate.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gravedigger wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Good result and a clean sheet....
Ha ha, PT. Take that tongue out of your cheek. 8)
He's right it is a good point. Lots of fans not facing reality. We are a near the bottom of the championship side. A point away at a top four side is good. And something to build on after Sunderland.
I thought you said that facing reality was that anything short of promotion this season would be an utter and complete unmitigated disaster from which we would never recover?? you seem pretty cool with it now??
It's called double standards
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: He's right it is a good point. Lots of fans not facing reality. We are a near the bottom of the championship side. A point away at a top four side is good.
You really are quite a one :lol:

You said that we're going to piss this league whilst showing our bare arses at the opposition as we go?! :lmfao:

You must feel such a terrible c*nt now!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gravedigger wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Good result and a clean sheet....
Ha ha, PT. Take that tongue out of your cheek. 8)
He's right it is a good point. Lots of fans not facing reality. We are a near the bottom of the championship side. A point away at a top four side is good. And something to build on after Sunderland.
I thought you said that facing reality was that anything short of promotion this season would be an utter and complete unmitigated disaster from which we would never recover?? you seem pretty cool with it now??
It's called double standards
It's not at all. It's about reassessing the situation having removed the major cause of that situation and realising its going to take a while to sort things. And not acting like a petulant child in the meantime stamping your feet every five minutes just like Arsenal or West Ham fans.

This is exactly the sort of result we weren't capable of digging out before. And now we have. Progress may not be quick enough to rescue this season but by Christ I'm more optimistic about the future. The fact that even with renewed optimism that future looks fairly bleak is solely down to the failure last season.

Mind a few of us on here had the vision to see what was coming. Amid all the 'it'll be reet' and 'it'll be ok if we go down cos the premiership is shit and the championship is well ace'.

Not going up is a disaster. But we haven't been going up all season

Might as well hope that we can do better next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: He's right it is a good point. Lots of fans not facing reality. We are a near the bottom of the championship side. A point away at a top four side is good.
You really are quite a one :lol:

You said that we're going to piss this league whilst showing our bare arses at the opposition as we go?! :lmfao:

You must feel such a terrible c*nt now!
Last season I said we were going down. Plenty disagreed.

Wonder how they're feeling?

I've said that I underestimated this league and our own squad.

Wonder how many are gonna come on and admit they got Coyle wrong?