Palace Game

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Toni_DelijeSever
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Palace Game

Post by Toni_DelijeSever » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

It's encouraging to see us defending well and not concede as a reward. We haven't conceded two games in a row now, first time in this season. Pretty good thing.

Anyway, I feel we missed our chance to reach top half of the table and cope with teams up front when we lost to Peterborough and Wednesday. Now it looks like it's too late. We're 16th and it should be forbidden for us to talk about promotion when we're actually pretty close to bottom teams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVIQoyFue0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Toni_DelijeSever wrote:It's encouraging to see us defending well and not concede as a reward. We haven't conceded two games in a row now, first time in this season. Pretty good thing.

Anyway, I feel we missed our chance to reach top half of the table and cope with teams up front when we lost to Peterborough and Wednesday. Now it looks like it's too late. We're 16th and it should be forbidden for us to talk about promotion when we're actually pretty close to bottom teams.
I always felt that Peterborough away was going to present us with all kinds of problems but Wednesday at home, along with Ipswich, Barnsley and Millwall are the games that have cost us dear. There's no point dwelling on it but, particularly with the players we have returning, we must make a decent go of the rest of the season, especially our home games. The last five fixtures themselves look hellish.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Jugs wrote:The last five fixtures themselves look hellish.
The next five are more of a concern at the moment. We play three of the top seven teams.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 pm

ChrisC wrote:Found out last night that we are the first team to stop Palace scoring at home in 9 months.
I know it's easy to say this about any game, but they really should have scored and we were very lucky to keep the clean sheet. It works both ways, of course - we've been beaten this season when the opposition have had far less.

But we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking we completely shut Palace down yesterday, because we didn't.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 pm

BL3 wrote:
The next five are more of a concern at the moment. We play three of the top seven teams.
Aye, Watford away next could definitely spell an end to any hopes we have of getting into the play-offs. Vydra is on fire. I'd love a striker like that.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Jugs wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Aye, Watford away next could definitely spell an end to any hopes we have of getting into the play-offs. Vydra is on fire. I'd love a striker like that.
End any hopes? If we win, you think we could?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Jugs wrote:
BL3 wrote:
End any hopes? If we win, you think we could?
Aye, why not? Its better to dream for the last few months than admit defeat and see the season out fairly listlessly with little to fight for - except, perhaps, the threat of relegation. Beating Watford would be a huge boost and coupled with the return of a few players, hope would radiate. I can't see us winning, though.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Personally, think the play offs are a bit beyond us.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 pm

At this moment, I agree with you. But football can have a funny habit of giving you hope with one win. I guess we should also remember that Watford also have a game-in-hand.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Bedwetter and PT both supporting the manager?

Crazy crazy times!

:mrgreen:
Indeed crazy times. The voices in my head are telling me to. :grin:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 pm

50sQuiff wrote:I think many on here will once again have to eat humble pie over Ream, who has played well for about 5 games in a row now, but they won't.
Just talk me through the passage of play that lead to Millwall's penalty again then? He's improving, no doubt, but he's coming from a very low base and is a long, long way away from having smoke blown up his arse, that's for sure.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm

That N'guessen guy from Millwall battered him. I actually felt sorry for Ream at HT. it was man v boy stuff.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Personally, think the play offs are a bit beyond us.
Too many teams have gone on good runs this year to say that, I think. Ipswich, Palace, Wolves, Blackburn, Cardiff, Hull, Boro and others have all gone on a good run. That seems to be the way the league is at times; teams get a couple of wins and then that momentum turns into a very good streak over 10 games or whatever.

Our season isn't over yet. It's hard to see us building that kind of momentum right now but if we get a bit of luck, bring in a bit of quality, get Holden, Wheater and Davies back, who knows? It wouldn't surprise me if we did go on a good run, like many of the teams above, and if we do, that should catapult us to the play-off spots.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:00 pm

I think the highest we can finish is fifth in fact I would like to think that is where we will still finish, we have no chance of going up though.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 pm

almost for got to mention this, it says in the palace programe the Nat Lofthouse died in 2001, not on that is it.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Too many teams have gone on good runs this year to say that, I think. Ipswich, Palace, Wolves, Blackburn, Cardiff, Hull, Boro and others have all gone on a good run. That seems to be the way the league is at times; teams get a couple of wins and then that momentum turns into a very good streak over 10 games or whatever.

Our season isn't over yet. It's hard to see us building that kind of momentum right now but if we get a bit of luck, bring in a bit of quality, get Holden, Wheater and Davies back, who knows? It wouldn't surprise me if we did go on a good run, like many of the teams above, and if we do, that should catapult us to the play-off spots.
Thing is though, I can't see us going on one if those runs..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:

Thing is though, I can't see us going on one if those runs..
Indeed, we ain't looking like a team that, if only we had a little more luck, would win 8 on the spin. We look like a team that with a little more luck might draw three, win three and lose two out of the next 8.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 pm

DSB provided the stats some time ago:
Points achieved in last decade of second-tier seasons by 1st (champs), 2nd (auto-promoted), 6th (final play-off place) & 22nd (highest relegated) teams:

2012 89-88-75-40
2011 88-84-75-42
2010 102-91-70-47
2009 90-83-74-46
2008 81-79-70-52
2007 88-86-75-42
2006 106-90-75-42
2005 94-87-73-50
2004 94-86-73-51
2003 98-92-74-46

Over 46 games, 2ppg is 92pts, which would have made you champions five of the last six seasons. 1.5ppg is 69pts, which is two whole wins shy of the remarkably stable 75-point target for the bottom play-off rung.
And the stats appear to be holding true this season - at the top, Cardiff are on just over 2ppg and Watford in sixth are on 1.7ppg. So, we probably need a minimum of 40pts from our final 18 games to get into the play offs. That's 2.2ppg for the rest of the season or something along the lines of win 12, draw 4, lose 4. We've yet to manage back-to-back wins, so the notion that we might win two out every three of our remaining games is probably fanciful. On a brighter note, we shouldn't get relegated!
Last edited by TonyDomingos on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Any thoughts of reaching the playoffs is pie-in-the-sky thinking.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Survival is the first box to tick. Blood some youth then.