Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I don't think he should be criticised for not usually lasting 90 mins, he runs himself ragged and then gets taken off for fresh legs (or SKD!). No shame in that.
There's no shame in a professional footballer not being able to last 90 minutes? Oh my giddy aunt. Occasionally could see me agreeing with that. Week in, week out it's flippin criminal negligence.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:59 pm

He plays at quite a high intensity. But nowhere near the same intensity of lets say, Wayne Rooney. Who does that 50 times a season at least and smokes 20 a day.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I don't think he should be criticised for not usually lasting 90 mins, he runs himself ragged and then gets taken off for fresh legs (or SKD!). No shame in that.
There's no shame in a professional footballer not being able to last 90 minutes? Oh my giddy aunt. Occasionally could see me agreeing with that. Week in, week out it's flippin criminal negligence.
I'm not saying he can't last 90 minutes, and I expect he wants to stay on. I mean that the way he plays makes him an obvious candidate for a 'fresh legs' substitution and that I don't think the stat that you quoted should be used to berate him with. I agree with the Insane one that he'd be a perfect foil for a finisher and I'd try him with Sordell at Charlton. Out of all our strikers he's made the biggest contributiuon to the run we've had.

Problem is that our lack of a goalscorer means that the other abilities of the forwards we do have aren't fully appreciated because we so obviously need the kind of skills that they lack. If that makes sense. If Ngog's unselfish play was providing the bullets for a poacher I think he'd get a lot more credit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm not saying he can't last 90 minutes, and I expect he wants to stay on. I mean that the way he plays makes him an obvious candidate for a 'fresh legs' substitution and that I don't think the stat that you quoted should be used to berate him with. I agree with the Insane one that he'd be a perfect foil for a finisher and I'd try him with Sordell at Charlton. Out of all our strikers he's made the biggest contributiuon to the run we've had.

Problem is that our lack of a goalscorer means that the other abilities of the forwards we do have aren't fully appreciated because we so obviously need the kind of skills that they lack. If that makes sense. If Ngog's unselfish play was providing the bullets for a poacher I think he'd get a lot more credit.
I'm more than happy to use that stat I quoted to berate him. :-) 11 sets of 90 minutes he's lasted, in two years.

He had plenty of better foils as finishers than we have when he was at Liverpool. He was pretty shit there too.

We talk about him as an aside to one of our problems being the lack of a goalscorer, but he's one of the guys that should be goalscoring - not an adjunct to it.

I don't think he has what it takes to be in the Prem either as it happens - although it is possible for strikers to develop late I guess.

I'd have no problems with him and Sordell being given a go at Charlton. I found myself largely in agreement with PT at weekend (abandon hope all ye that enter here). The whole forward thing needs sorting out. N'gog is part of that equation, not different from it. Whereas some people think we're only one person short upfront, I happen to believe we're two. That is all. :-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Well I guess that's where we differ. I'm still holding out hope that he'll work out where the goal is at some point. Starting at the Valley would be nice. We're definitely lacking up front though, no doubt about it. Dougie would call it a 'balance issue', i.e the balance between strikers who can't score regularly (4) and strikers who can (0). If Ngog is David Reeves we need a Tony Philliskirk!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Well I guess that's where we differ. I'm still holding out hope that he'll work out where the goal is at some point. Starting at the Valley would be nice. We're definitely lacking up front though, no doubt about it. Dougie would call it a 'balance issue', i.e the balance between strikers who can't score regularly (4) and strikers who can (0). If Ngog is David Reeves we need a Tony Philliskirk!
Well, he's not lost. He's at Oldham !

Less facetiously, whatever happened to his son who we were hoping to sign but Chelsea came running in & knicked from under our noses ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Danny? He was released by Chelsea, signed for Sheffield United, was then released by them and is now at Coventry on a year-long deal.

Since he signed professional terms at Chelsea, he has made a grand total of 9 league apperances (13 overall) and has scored 0 goals.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm

mrkint wrote:Danny? He was released by Chelsea, signed for Sheffield United, was then released by them and is now at Coventry on a yearOooooh. Missed ou-long deal.

Since he signed professional terms at Chelsea, he has made a grand total of 9 league apperances (13 overall) and has scored 0 goals.
Oooooooh. Missed out there then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mrkint wrote:Danny? He was released by Chelsea, signed for Sheffield United, was then released by them and is now at Coventry on a yearOooooh. Missed ou-long deal.

Oooooooh. Missed out there then.
What the blithering crin did you do to my post? :D

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:31 pm

:lol:
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm very old !!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

We'd probably be better off with a 50 yr old Tony then. Even at his peak he made the 2013 version of SKD look mobile, so there was nothing to lose in that respect. What a finisher though. Could knock a penalthy in under pressure as well. As Sir David of Higsonshire used to say ' The Ice-Man cometh to Burnden park'. Then Eidur came along and cornered that lazy headline.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Well I guess that's where we differ. I'm still holding out hope that he'll work out where the goal is at some point. Starting at the Valley would be nice. We're definitely lacking up front though, no doubt about it. Dougie would call it a 'balance issue', i.e the balance between strikers who can't score regularly (4) and strikers who can (0). If Ngog is David Reeves we need a Tony Philliskirk!
I'd prefer either of those two over that plank Ngog.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Raven wrote:
I'd prefer either of those two over that plank Ngog.
All things considered, a well thought out an balanced response. :-)

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Didnt need to be well thought out on the subject of Ngog :P
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Raven wrote:Didnt need to be well thought out on the subject of Ngog :P
I'm sure you said similar on Elmander, yet since he's gone we've never had anyone remotely as good.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Yep can't hide that one, both planks, we just have a load of them, should pop down to Jewsons!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Raven wrote:Yep can't hide that one, both planks, we just have a load of them, should pop down to Jewsons!
Or perhaps, you slightly underrate strikers we have at Bolton.

Just saying, it's a possibility like......

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

N'gog is a plank.

For (for) - 2
Against - 1
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:N'gog is a plank.

For (for) - 2
Against - 1
I think he's quite good. :wink: