Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Away at Mick McCarthy's Super Ipswich Town

Post by boltonboris » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 pm

bean wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd still pick Kevin Davies when we need to hold onto a lead, but he's an odd choice to bring on when the game is there to be won. Sordell has 7 goals in 15 games, so he's a proven potent threat, unlike Davies. When was the last time Davies was involved in creating or scoring a goal? Davies has a role, I think, but just not when the game is finely balanced and there to be won.

Ha,ha. When was the last time any of our strikers were involved in creating or scoring a goal. :wink:

errr... just over two weeks ago when CD and Ngog both scored in a 3-2 win???
Good, now you can go to bed happy. Don't let a bit of humour spoil your sleep. :wink:
Having gone to the game yesterday, I'm a bit lost by the SKD bashing. Sure, he isn't what he used to be. Sure, he isn't as good as we might hope. But yesterday he did more in five minutes than cravies had done in... however long he was on for. Cravies looked uninterested, N'gog was in and out, but at least SKD came on and did some good work, nodded on a couple, looked like he ight create something (oh, and drew away two of their defenders at every set piece). Until our other strikers hit some kind of form again (or for the first time) he'll be at absolute worst a useful distraction in the air for a defence.
Ohh look. Somebody went to the game yesterday so their opinion counts more.

I've seen him nigh on 25 times this season. He's been shite in about 22 of those games.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
bean wrote:
Having gone to the game yesterday, I'm a bit lost by the SKD bashing. Sure, he isn't what he used to be. Sure, he isn't as good as we might hope. But yesterday he did more in five minutes than cravies had done in... however long he was on for. Cravies looked uninterested, N'gog was in and out, but at least SKD came on and did some good work, nodded on a couple, looked like he ight create something (oh, and drew away two of their defenders at every set piece). Until our other strikers hit some kind of form again (or for the first time) he'll be at absolute worst a useful distraction in the air for a defence.
Ohh look. Somebody went to the game yesterday so their opinion counts more.

I've seen him nigh on 25 times this season. He's been shite in about 22 of those games.
Ooooh, someones all worked up... Apparently because you've been to more games than me, your opinion counts more? I simply said that he did a job for us yesterday with our other strikers out of form, and that he worries defences. Calm down.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

bean wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd still pick Kevin Davies when we need to hold onto a lead, but he's an odd choice to bring on when the game is there to be won. Sordell has 7 goals in 15 games, so he's a proven potent threat, unlike Davies. When was the last time Davies was involved in creating or scoring a goal? Davies has a role, I think, but just not when the game is finely balanced and there to be won.

Ha,ha. When was the last time any of our strikers were involved in creating or scoring a goal. :wink:

errr... just over two weeks ago when CD and Ngog both scored in a 3-2 win???
Good, now you can go to bed happy. Don't let a bit of humour spoil your sleep. :wink:
[/quote]

Honestly couldn't care if he wins 200 headers in a game he doesn't score goals he's not scored since 28 November Sordell has 6 in 14... same amount as KD but Kevin Davies has played 34 times this season. Kevin Davies shouldn't be coming on when we're losing... fine when we need to hold on and need a physical presence to try and see out the game in the last 10, but not starting games or playing to chase a goal.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Fairly sure we've been here before. I could sort of understand the Davo bashing, if any of our other strikers were doing owt much. N'gog gets no stick even though he's shite. You could perm any two from four and it probably wouldn't make ha'p'orth of difference.

Just to brighten the debate up a bit, Davo is the second rated Bolton player on the Actim index that N'gog doesn't make the top 100 in.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/A ... 94,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it happens, I think one of them is pretty much past it and the other won't have much of an "it" to be past.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Fairly sure we've been here before. I could sort of understand the Davo bashing, if any of our other strikers were doing owt much. N'gog gets no stick even though he's shite. You could perm any two from four and it probably wouldn't make ha'p'orth of difference.

Just to brighten the debate up a bit, Davo is the second rated Bolton player on the Actim index that N'gog doesn't make the top 100 in.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/A ... 94,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it happens, I think one of them is pretty much past it and the other won't have much of an "it" to be past.
Thanks for the link.

Presumably no Craig Davies because he's played for two clubs!? And no Craig Dawson.. is that because he's only here on loan (and missed half a season in c'ship)?

Does it have any info on how they get the numbers? If being captain means points then whoever the captain is would be fairly high.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Fairly sure we've been here before. I could sort of understand the Davo bashing, if any of our other strikers were doing owt much. N'gog gets no stick even though he's shite. You could perm any two from four and it probably wouldn't make ha'p'orth of difference.

Thanks for the link.

Presumably no Craig Davies because he's played for two clubs!? And no Craig Dawson.. is that because he's only here on loan (and missed half a season in c'ship)?

Does it have any info on how they get the numbers? If being captain means points then whoever the captain is would be fairly high.
Being Captain isn't in there.

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of each player's contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim Index comprises six calculations:

Calculation 1 - Assesses a player's contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared.
Calculation 2 - Assesses a player's performance in each game, by allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards and shots off target.
Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time on the pitch.
Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers.
Calculation 5 - Allocates points for assists.
Calculation 6 - Allocates points for clean sheets.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:30 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it. From next season it'll be Opta, like the Premier League and Champions League (and la Primera and Serie A and Bundesliga-1 and Ligue Un etc etc)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

See I think that's a little harsh on NGog, especially of late.

He's played well for me in the "behind the main striker role". He clearly has a lot of ability and is mobile and is working hard.

The trouble is that his finishing is mixed, usually shocking but with the odd moment of inspiration. And because of that as a striker, he rarely shoots in good positions and also a bit like KD doesn't have the knack of being in the right place at the right time to finish moves off.

He'd probably be great paired up with a quick and sharp natural finisher.

However, the same could probably be said for CD and to a lesser extent KD.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it. From next season it'll be Opta, like the Premier League and Champions League (and la Primera and Serie A and Bundesliga-1 and Ligue Un etc etc)
Not sure the methodologies are that different regardless of which one it is?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Kevin Davies, Craig Davies and N'Gog are not natural goalscorers, which is a problem for us. The only striker we've got who makes good runs and looks like scoring when he gets a good chance is Sordell, who, for whatever reason, seems to have dropped in the pecking order despite his impressive goal scoring record when he was given a chance.

Given the qualities and playing style of SKD, Craig Davies and N'Gog, the obvious partner for them should be Sordell. These three all have something to offer but I don't think there's a lot of goals in any of them, so I'd like to see them partnered up with Sordell, who offers something different. He's not just a workhorse who puts in a shift and chases everything, he makes good runs and when he has a chance, he looks like a proper striker. You don't sense that he's going to fluff it, like you do when N'Gog is about to shoot.

I'd like to see Sordell/Craig Davies or Sordell/N'Gog start against Charlton. If it isn't working because he's a bit passive and not tracking back, fine, take him off, but I think we'd have a better chance of scoring with him in the side. I like both Craig Davies and N'Gog but I don't think they can be relied upon to get us the goals we need.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Kevin Davies, Craig Davies and N'Gog are not natural goalscorers, which is a problem for us. The only striker we've got who makes good runs and looks like scoring when he gets a good chance is Sordell, who, for whatever reason, seems to have dropped in the pecking order despite his impressive goal scoring record when he was given a chance.

Given the qualities and playing style of SKD, Craig Davies and N'Gog, the obvious partner for them should be Sordell. These three all have something to offer but I don't think there's a lot of goals in any of them, so I'd like to see them partnered up with Sordell, who offers something different. He's not just a workhorse who puts in a shift and chases everything, he makes good runs and when he has a chance, he looks like a proper striker. You don't sense that he's going to fluff it, like you do when N'Gog is about to shoot.

I'd like to see Sordell/Craig Davies or Sordell/N'Gog start against Charlton. If it isn't working because he's a bit passive and not tracking back, fine, take him off, but I think we'd have a better chance of scoring with him in the side. I like both Craig Davies and N'Gog but I don't think they can be relied upon to get us the goals we need.
I think thats where I'm at. We've nothing to lose, Sordell was very poor in his last few games, but as you say, none of the other three are natural goalscorers.

I'm not sure I've seen enough of Sordell to know whether he is likely to score lots, although if he doesn't he's a waste of space given the little he offers outside the box. But I think I'd like to see either CD with Sordell or NGog with Sordell to see if it works a bit better.

Although to be fair the latter has been tried with mixed success.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it. From next season it'll be Opta, like the Premier League and Champions League (and la Primera and Serie A and Bundesliga-1 and Ligue Un etc etc)
Not sure the methodologies are that different regardless of which one it is?
Actim and Opta? If those are Actim's methodologies you listed up the page, then I think they are. AFAIK Opta just publish lists of Most Tackles, etc - they don't squash them into entertaining but arguable linkbait like Actim's.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Went to the game with Enoch off this fair site, and what a thoroughly pleasant chap he is. Always nice to meet a new fellow Wanderer and put a face to a (pretend) name.

We were a bit late in (traffic, parking, lack of change for meter, etc) so I don't know if there was a Muamba thing going on at five minutes. I do know there were 556 Wanderers who seemed to be making more noise than 17,000 home fans.

The game felt weird and it took us until nearly half-time to work out what it was: we weren't worried. Ipswich huffed and puffed, but rarely looked like scoring. And then suddenly, ten minutes into the second half, we ratcheted up the pressure and looked at least half a division better than our hosts, pinging it round threateningly in their half as they looked on desperately. The midfielders were effortlessly mopping up Ipswich's rare attempts to break out and simply recycling it round the pitch, probing and waiting for chances to appear. When one Davies replaced another you could feel the tension in the home fans - that relegation-threatened paranoia that we all know so well.

Then they went and spoiled it by scoring, somewhat luckily. Which was a bummer. But at least we got to witness genuine joy among home fans who feared relegation to the lower tiers for the first time in half a century but now find their team three points off 11th place. And of course they've got Mick McCarthy as manager.

So that's the end of the run but certainly not the end of the season. Things aren't perfect but there is a confidence and a purpose about the team and club that I haven't seen in a very long time. We might not make the top six this season but we'll run close - and if we stay down, I'm really looking forward to next year.

Player ratings:
LONERGAN Seems confident, a good shot-stopper, and organises his defenders well. Doesn't deserve dropping when Bogdan is fully fit - not that I distrust the Hungarian.

RICKETTS Dependable and intelligent, although he definitely lacks the thrust needed in this narrow system (or a wingback formation).
KNIGHT Visibly reinvigorated by Dawson. Showed a turn of pace in the first half and then turned his man in the second. But then, he did nearly give a goal away by gifting the ball to an opponent.
DAWSON I do like to see a defender who can play. At one point Dawson won a defensive header but instead of simply putting his neck through it and powering it upfield, he cushioned a 15-yard pass to a winger. Solid at both ends of the field, and I'm led to believe he's loving his time at Bolton so if we get promoted, just maybe...
ALONSO Streets ahead of the shadow he was. Dominated the left flank and worried Ipswich for long periods. Another who will be missed when he goes.

SPEARING Our man of the match, I'd say. Constantly mopped up Ipswich attacks - including, on one occasion, winning a header against a bloke nearly a foot taller than him – and unfussily started Wanderers off again. Another who would be missed should he goes, although I'd say we have a good chance of keeping him even in this division.
PRATLEY Not as effective as he has been of late, but predictably never stopped running and notably wasn't substituted despite the presence of Kamara and Holden on the bench.
LEE Nominally on the right but has always enjoyed being able to come in off the wing and linked up with his team-mates in pleasing fashion. A good Freedman player: adaptable, quick thinker, hard worker, skilful. Tired somewhat toward the end; we need to borrow a winger to strengthen our options.
EAGLES Didn't boss the game but constantly worried Ipswich, buzzing around the width of the pitch and linking with team-mates. Not yet back to his best but looking keen to get there. I suspect those who decry him do so more on their own agenda than the evidence pout in front of them.

NGOG Clearly a clever player and adapting well to Freedman playing him as a split striker, he frequently dug back in to help out his midfield when not in possession, then linked well with them when we did have the ball. But he struggled to show the same understanding with Craig Davies.
C. DAVIES Worked his nuts off hassling the defenders, whom he never gave a moment's peace, frequently winning back possession (often via forcing throw-ins) in the Ipswich half. But despite excellent work as the 'first defender' he didn't gel well with Ngog and rarely threatened a goal. Booked for a blatant Maradona handball.

K. DAVIES Came on for Craig Davies on 66 minutes, after 10 minutes of increasing Bolton pressure. Quietly mixed reaction among the away fans, but clearly worried the home defence, so his presence could easily have freed up a team-mate. Touch is no longer the best but he worked and we looked none the weaker for his inclusion.
SORDELL Came on for Dawson in the last minute after we conceded. Not sure he touched the ball, but he did give his shirt to a fan.

FREEDMAN The usual plan could easily have worked: for most of the second half a goal at the Alf Ramsey end seemed much more likely than the one which came at the Bobby Robson end. Changed what really needed changing - the up-front chemistry - and didn't feel rushed into making any other substitutions, despite options of Sordell, Kamara and Holden. Perhaps he'd have brought on a midfield creator if we had one.

Overall, I simply can't be too disappointed. On very many occasions this season, in fact this decade, we've been miserably shit. This wasn't one of them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Went to the game with Enoch off this fair site, and what a thoroughly pleasant chap he is. Always nice to meet a new fellow Wanderer and put a face to a (pretend) name.

We were a bit late in (traffic, parking, lack of change for meter, etc) so I don't know if there was a Muamba thing going on at five minutes. I do know there were 556 Wanderers who seemed to be making more noise than 17,000 home fans.

The game felt weird and it took us until nearly half-time to work out what it was: we weren't worried. Ipswich huffed and puffed, but rarely looked like scoring. And then suddenly, ten minutes into the second half, we ratcheted up the pressure and looked at least half a division better than our hosts, pinging it round threateningly in their half as they looked on desperately. The midfielders were effortlessly mopping up Ipswich's rare attempts to break out and simply recycling it round the pitch, probing and waiting for chances to appear. When one Davies replaced another you could feel the tension in the home fans - that relegation-threatened paranoia that we all know so well.

Then they went and spoiled it by scoring, somewhat luckily. Which was a bummer. But at least we got to witness genuine joy among home fans who feared relegation to the lower tiers for the first time in half a century but now find their team three points off 11th place. And of course they've got Mick McCarthy as manager.

So that's the end of the run but certainly not the end of the season. Things aren't perfect but there is a confidence and a purpose about the team and club that I haven't seen in a very long time. We might not make the top six this season but we'll run close - and if we stay down, I'm really looking forward to next year.

Player ratings:
LONERGAN Seems confident, a good shot-stopper, and organises his defenders well. Doesn't deserve dropping when Bogdan is fully fit - not that I distrust the Hungarian.

RICKETTS Dependable and intelligent, although he definitely lacks the thrust needed in this narrow system (or a wingback formation).
KNIGHT Visibly reinvigorated by Dawson. Showed a turn of pace in the first half and then turned his man in the second. But then, he did nearly give a goal away by gifting the ball to an opponent.
DAWSON I do like to see a defender who can play. At one point Dawson won a defensive header but instead of simply putting his neck through it and powering it upfield, he cushioned a 15-yard pass to a winger. Solid at both ends of the field, and I'm led to believe he's loving his time at Bolton so if we get promoted, just maybe...
ALONSO Streets ahead of the shadow he was. Dominated the left flank and worried Ipswich for long periods. Another who will be missed when he goes.

SPEARING Our man of the match, I'd say. Constantly mopped up Ipswich attacks - including, on one occasion, winning a header against a bloke nearly a foot taller than him – and unfussily started Wanderers off again. Another who would be missed should he goes, although I'd say we have a good chance of keeping him even in this division.
PRATLEY Not as effective as he has been of late, but predictably never stopped running and notably wasn't substituted despite the presence of Kamara and Holden on the bench.
LEE Nominally on the right but has always enjoyed being able to come in off the wing and linked up with his team-mates in pleasing fashion. A good Freedman player: adaptable, quick thinker, hard worker, skilful. Tired somewhat toward the end; we need to borrow a winger to strengthen our options.
EAGLES Didn't boss the game but constantly worried Ipswich, buzzing around the width of the pitch and linking with team-mates. Not yet back to his best but looking keen to get there. I suspect those who decry him do so more on their own agenda than the evidence pout in front of them.

NGOG Clearly a clever player and adapting well to Freedman playing him as a split striker, he frequently dug back in to help out his midfield when not in possession, then linked well with them when we did have the ball. But he struggled to show the same understanding with Craig Davies.
C. DAVIES Worked his nuts off hassling the defenders, whom he never gave a moment's peace, frequently winning back possession (often via forcing throw-ins) in the Ipswich half. But despite excellent work as the 'first defender' he didn't gel well with Ngog and rarely threatened a goal. Booked for a blatant Maradona handball.

K. DAVIES Came on for Craig Davies on 66 minutes, after 10 minutes of increasing Bolton pressure. Quietly mixed reaction among the away fans, but clearly worried the home defence, so his presence could easily have freed up a team-mate. Touch is no longer the best but he worked and we looked none the weaker for his inclusion.
SORDELL Came on for Dawson in the last minute after we conceded. Not sure he touched the ball, but he did give his shirt to a fan.

FREEDMAN The usual plan could easily have worked: for most of the second half a goal at the Alf Ramsey end seemed much more likely than the one which came at the Bobby Robson end. Changed what really needed changing - the up-front chemistry - and didn't feel rushed into making any other substitutions, despite options of Sordell, Kamara and Holden. Perhaps he'd have brought on a midfield creator if we had one.

Overall, I simply can't be too disappointed. On very many occasions this season, in fact this decade, we've been miserably shit. This wasn't one of them.
I think your report virtually echoes what the radio commentary team of Dearden and Iles said, so that's good to hear from someone who actually made the trip.

The commentators made the comment about "not feeling worried" as Ipswich won a couple of corners in a row and I think it's true. We seem much better at just defending now, in general.

They also praised the strikers work rate but noted that neither really seriously managed to threaten the goal.

I think in general the plan is working. It was always a big ask to make the play-offs from where we were and things are bound to go wrong along the way as they did on Saturday.

As long as the club keeps believing and buying into the plan, with the odd extra player here and there, I think next season should hopefully be brighter.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He's played well for me in the "behind the main striker role". He clearly has a lot of ability and is mobile and is working hard.

The trouble is that his finishing is mixed, usually shocking but with the odd moment of inspiration. And because of that as a striker, he rarely shoots in good positions and also a bit like KD doesn't have the knack of being in the right place at the right time to finish moves off.

Probably a little harsh on N'gog, but then again, I don't really see his purpose. I can understand how better teams than us can afford a non-scoring link man (potentially) with their team/bench full of strikers banging them in and the midfield contributing as they seemlessly join the midfield, overlappers, etc. to the attack-force and lay them in nicely.

I'm just not seeing that with N'gog. What I'm seeing is a body playing in that role, but not really adding to it, and because it's the vogue, everyone says "must be right", and he's quick (not like Kevin Davies) and he isn't Kevin Davies. Think I said in Jan, that we probably needed to get shut of both, I've not seen anything since, even during "our good little run that has now finished because we're domed", to convince me otherwise. Mobile and working hard are two good attributes that I admire, but on their own, they're not enough - something Elmander was often criticised for (and lets face it Elmander was a class and a half better then N'gog).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Probably a little harsh on N'gog, but then again, I don't really see his purpose. I can understand how better teams than us can afford a non-scoring link man (potentially) with their team/bench full of strikers banging them in and the midfield contributing as they seemlessly join the midfield, overlappers, etc. to the attack-force and lay them in nicely.

I'm just not seeing that with N'gog. What I'm seeing is a body playing in that role, but not really adding to it, and because it's the vogue, everyone says "must be right", and he's quick (not like Kevin Davies) and he isn't Kevin Davies. Think I said in Jan, that we probably needed to get shut of both, I've not seen anything since, even during "our good little run that has now finished because we're domed", to convince me otherwise. Mobile and working hard are two good attributes that I admire, but on their own, they're not enough - something Elmander was often criticised for (and lets face it Elmander was a class and a half better then N'gog).
I think the Elmander and NGog comparisons are quite apt. Though as you say Elmander a superior player by some way. Though we are a league lower......

I guess ultimately, NGog is good to feet and can run at defences and does link it up well.

I agree that the issue is he doesn't score many although he's not alone there.

Out of interest, are there any stats for our strikers for goals per games this season? Or I guess the number of goals they've scored against the number of starts they've made?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Out of interest, are there any stats for our strikers for goals per games this season? Or I guess the number of goals they've scored against the number of starts they've made?
http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd ... Tabs=stats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Player - League starts (subs), goals; cup starts (subs) goals; total starts (subs) goals
B Afobe......5 (15) 2.....2 (1) 1.....7 (16) 3
C Davies......3 (8) 2.....0 (0) 0.....3 (8) 2
K Davies....28 (7) 6.....0 (3) 0.....28 (1) 6
D Ngog......18 (8) 6.....1 (1) 0.....19 (9) 6
M Sordell.....7 (8) 2.....3 (1) 4.....10 (9) 6

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Out of interest, are there any stats for our strikers for goals per games this season? Or I guess the number of goals they've scored against the number of starts they've made?
http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd ... Tabs=stats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers.

So in terms of "league goals per start" the list in order of "best to worst" goes....

Craig Davies - 0.67
David NGog - 0.33
Marvin Sordell - 0.29
Kevin Davies - 0.21

On that basis, given I think outside the box he contributes at least as much as, if not more than the others "outside the box" in general play, NGog playing seems fair enough.

The Craig Davies stat is clearly a bit false given the low number of starts.

And I think it's hard to make any sort of a case for Kevin Davies starting ahead of the other three, especially instead of NGog.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: SORDELL Came on for Dawson in the last minute after we conceded. Not sure he touched the ball, but he did give his shirt to a fan.
I know the young fella that got the shirt. He was ball boy for the day and it capped off a dream day for him :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:SORDELL Came on for Dawson in the last minute after we conceded. Not sure he touched the ball, but he did give his shirt to a fan.
I know the young fella that got the shirt. He was ball boy for the day and it capped off a dream day for him :D
Good to hear. Couple that with the ticket giveaway and you've got decent evidence that not every footballer's a knobhead...