Coyle on Talksport now

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coyle on Talksport now

Post by a1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: I think we can now see how the likes of Knight managed to get re-signed in the summer.
i can too, but its probably not for the same reason as you.

my guess is you're thinking knight's crap , so coyle signed him coz he's crap.

well my thinking is something like, coyle thought knight were crap (probably coz he had zero apperances for burnley's reserves) , so tried giving , say, steven cauldwell 38 grand a week. but for some reason couldnt buy him. so the fallback were get knight in for 18k.

#coyle-o-nomics

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 am

Relentless09 wrote:His influence on the pitch is decreasing but I'd say his influence on starting players and youth players is increasing and benefiting them.
Yeah, I agree with this. Even if he isn't starting regularly, I'd keep him in the squad just to be an influence for the younger players. When Henry went back to Arsenal, it was because Wenger wanted his influence to rub off on the players, and even though he was well past his best, it worked. Davies might be past his best too, but he's still our captain and it'd be poor form to get rid of him so quickly, I think. He still has a role to play, even if that means he's relegated to cup games and the odd 15 minutes at the end of a game. That small bit of influence on games isn't much, but I'm sure our squad would be stronger with him in it, because of what he offers away from the pitch.

He's a club legend, he has played for England, he's performed against some of the best teams in the world and is undoubtedly a leader. For all his poor performances in recent months, his past alone is reason to keep him around, and it's not purely sentimental either. He's a wise head for someone like Sordell or one of the younger lads to get advice from, and can be an inspiration for them to look up to.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:32 am

So we should give him another million quid and make him some sort of mascot?

Bit having that.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 am

boltonboris wrote:So we should give him another million quid and make him some sort of mascot?

Bit having that.
Aye, it's one of the more fanciful ideas of how to chuck around Eddie's money.

IF Kevin Davies IS a good influence and happy to be one when not playing and IF there is a suitable role for him, that he's happy with, then I don't think anyone would be unhappy in him fulfilling that role.

However, I don't think filling up a squad place and a wage with a player you're not intending to play much is a sound plan. It's ludicrous to suggest keeping him on as some sort of "influence" merely for that role.

Surely we have the likes of Dougie, Curtis, Lennie, Phillips and Lee to influence the young players in the right way. I'm not entirely convinced what Kevin Davies can add to that. But if they feel he can then I think it would have to be in the correct role, not just as some "overpaid bench warmer".

IF Dougie thinks he can still contribute to the team then I'm sure he will offer him a new (but vastly reduced) deal on that basis.

I suspect the issue is more that Davies wants to play week in week out and isn't happy not doing so. Understandable at this point in his career. Wouldn't bank on him being keen on any sort of reduced playing role, especially seeing as he will almost certainly be having to take a wage drop.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am

boltonboris wrote:So we should give him another million quid and make him some sort of mascot?

Bit having that.
Exactly if he is not worth his place in the side and his wages are too much, then he has got to go.

He has been a great for us but nothing lasts forever.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.
How many of that majority on this forum have ever managed a professional side, played professional football, sees them in training, or would even last ten minutes in a decent football match themselves? That's your yardstick for judging a player like Kevin Davies, is it? Forgive me for ever doubting you. What did he get that applause for on Saturday when he was subbed and why did the match commentators claim he'd played really well? Marc Isles in Bolton News gave him 6, same as N'gog, Eagles and Chungy, and said: "Occupied the Brighton defenders plenty. Yet more proof that the skipper has a big role to play". Do they know less than the majority on this forum? If so, some should be contacting the Reebok pronto.
We can take it that this fellow from the local rag has managed a professional side, played professional football, seen them in training and would last ten minutes in a decent football match himself then can we, Tango? That is, according to you, the required criteria for holding an opinion then?!
No, it isn't. Not at all, and it isn't what I asked. It's quite clear above. Mark Wilson and his mate said the same and they're Tower Radio's commentators and were at the game. Nowhere, repeat nowhere, have I said anything whatsoever about not holding opinions. I just claim the same right to have one. I asked if sports reporters knew less than people on the forum. This might include the manager who keeps selecting Kevin Davies regardless. My opinion might not be worth a carrot; fair enough, but it's mine. If BWFCi does indeed speak for the majority on this forum who go to games, then obviously it's a solitary one.
It's stuff like this that irks me.

He started the last 2. The 4 before that he did NOT start in. 2 of those 4 he didn't even get off the bench in.

So lets not pretend that Dougie is picking him week in week out, or is picking him "regardless".

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21742877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bolton Wanderers: Kevin Davies yet to begin contract talks

Bolton Wanderers captain Kevin Davies has revealed he is yet to be offered a new deal at the club.
The 35-year-old striker, who joined from Southampton in 2003, has featured 37 times this year but is out of contract in the summer.
"This is my 10th season but there is no offer of a contract at the minute," he told Late Kick Off North West.
"I think the club are obviously waiting and seeing where we are and if we can get back to the Premier League."
He added: "It's not about me, it's about the club, and I'll keep doing my best until the end of the season."
Davies was one of the few players to remain at the Reebok last summer after they were relegated from the Premier League, signing a new one-year deal.
The one-time England striker has scored six times this season and explained in October that he had begun to use yoga to keep fresh for matches.
Bolton are on a run of five wins in a row in the Championship, which leaves them three points adrift of the play-offs, and Davies' future could depend on what division they are in next season.
"We've struggled throughout the season to have any sort of consistency, but we managed to get the back-to-back wins and we've gone on from there.
"The way we're playing now and the manner we're winning games, we're not blowing teams away, but we're grinding results out which is pleasing.
"It just shows how quickly it can turn around - we've got some momentum."
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Not much of interest. He did say he sees no reason why Kevin Davies shouldn't get a new contract here.
Though his reasoning for that was cos he's a top bloke and he played last Saturday.
I think we can now see how the likes of Knight managed to get re-signed in the summer.

:roll:

seek medical help....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Not much of interest. He did say he sees no reason why Kevin Davies shouldn't get a new contract here.
Though his reasoning for that was cos he's a top bloke and he played last Saturday.
I think we can now see how the likes of Knight managed to get re-signed in the summer.

:roll:

seek medical help....
That genuinely was the reasoning that he verbalised in the interview.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 am

He also said he's waiting for the right offer to come along...

I hope he's got a comfy chair.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

Andy Waller wrote:He also said he's waiting for the right offer to come along...

I hope he's got a comfy chair.
I suspect Coyle could get a job if he wanted. There are enough desperate clubs out there.

However, his insistence on bringing his backroom staff as he once again muttered on about on that interview, will probably put a lot, if not all clubs off.

It's one thing having a sucessful top team of people you want to bring, I think that's expected.

But when brother in law pitches up, 3 big macs in hand and a bag of bibs I suspect even the most desperate, wet behind the ears chairman starts to smell a rat.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.
How many of that majority on this forum have ever managed a professional side, played professional football, sees them in training, or would even last ten minutes in a decent football match themselves? That's your yardstick for judging a player like Kevin Davies, is it? Forgive me for ever doubting you. What did he get that applause for on Saturday when he was subbed and why did the match commentators claim he'd played really well? Marc Isles in Bolton News gave him 6, same as N'gog, Eagles and Chungy, and said: "Occupied the Brighton defenders plenty. Yet more proof that the skipper has a big role to play". Do they know less than the majority on this forum? If so, some should be contacting the Reebok pronto.
We can take it that this fellow from the local rag has managed a professional side, played professional football, seen them in training and would last ten minutes in a decent football match himself then can we, Tango? That is, according to you, the required criteria for holding an opinion then?!
No, it isn't. Not at all, and it isn't what I asked. It's quite clear above. Mark Wilson and his mate said the same and they're Tower Radio's commentators and were at the game. Nowhere, repeat nowhere, have I said anything whatsoever about not holding opinions. I just claim the same right to have one. I asked if sports reporters knew less than people on the forum. This might include the manager who keeps selecting Kevin Davies regardless. My opinion might not be worth a carrot; fair enough, but it's mine. If BWFCi does indeed speak for the majority on this forum who go to games, then obviously it's a solitary one.
It's stuff like this that irks me.
He started the last 2. The 4 before that he did NOT start in. 2 of those 4 he didn't even get off the bench in.

So lets not pretend that Dougie is picking him week in week out, or is picking him "regardless".
Sorry? Did I mention starting or playing full games as opposed to being "selected" in the squad? Awful sorry for "irking " you if I did. I'll try not to do it again....Do carry on.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:47 pm

see - Tango and BWFCi can have a narky-spat without me being involved at all! It must not be me who is the common denominator!! :wink: ;-)

I must be losing my touch!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sorry? Did I mention starting or playing full games as opposed to being "selected" in the squad? Awful sorry for "irking " you if I did. I'll try not to do it again....Do carry on.
He's being selected in the squad, but so was young Odelusi for the last two games.

Clearly Dougie still sees a role for him within the side at times too.

But whether he'll give him another contract or not, we don't know. As he's already given Mark Davies one, but seems to be stalling on KD, I'd say there was some doubt as to whether another contract will be forthcoming, would you not?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
He's being selected in the squad, but so was young Odelusi for the last two games.

But whether he'll give him another contract or not, we don't know. As he's already given Mark Davies one, but seems to be stalling on KD, I'd say there was some doubt as to whether another contract will be forthcoming, would you not?
Only honst answer is, I haven't the faintest idea.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Only honst answer is, I haven't the faintest idea.
Fair enough. I agree.

I think TD, that the whole KD thing is really hard, because however much anyone watches him now with an open mind, either they will see a player struggling to be even a shadow of his former self, or a club legend who has been brilliant for the cause out there doing his best.

And I think it's why the opinion gets so polarised. I find it really sad that this season in particular Kev has struggled and rather than him going out on a high with great memories we'll remember the season or two or three should he stay where his legs have just caught up with him.

It's another thing I blame Coyle for (and yes Bish I probably need help, but I revel in the fact that one day I may just get myself sectioned :wink: ) in that we should have stayed up last season, Kev should have scored the crucial goal to keep us there, and then been given a testimonial for his charity (a year early but what the hell) and then shaken hands with the club and both sides moved on.

He would have rightly been remembered for what he contributed, the massive, massive amount he contributed to our success and as I said gone out on a high.

But it didn't pan out like that, and we've got now a rather expensive ageing player on our hands who as I said above is only going to divide opinion more and more, and sadly decline even further with age.

It's really not, what should have happened, IMO, and I don't think it's what anyone would have really wanted.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Surely we have the likes of Dougie, Curtis, Lennie, Phillips and Lee to influence the young players in the right way. I'm not entirely convinced what Kevin Davies can add to that. But if they feel he can then I think it would have to be in the correct role, not just as some "overpaid bench warmer".
I think you're underestimating the differences between a player/player relationship and a player/coach relationship. There's a significant difference between those two, even though the end goal is the same.

Michael Owen was signed by Man United because they needed someone to help the younger players in the squad. They didn't need him on the pitch, which is why he played so infrequently as a starter, yet they kept him around for 3 years, presumably on a good wage. Stoke are a good side too, and they want to keep him on for a second year, even though he very rarely gets a chance to play, and even when he does he's well past his peak. Both Pulis and Ferguson want him around, not because he sells shirts, which he doesn't, or because he's a supersub, but solely because of his influence on a squad. Even though fans can't see what he is bringing to the table, the managers can and they know how invaluable it is. Del Piero hung around at Juventus for the same reason, as did quite a few other Italians like Costacurta, for example. Generally, your leaders or good influences at clubs are kept around, not for financial reasons or because they are needed on the pitch for 15 minutes every 2 months, but because they add something else to a squad, which a coach doesn't really bring.

Not that I'm arguing every old player should be given the same treatment, of course, but I do think there's a role for a club legend. Give him a deal which only sees him receive a decent wage when he gets played, and keep him around for the younger players to learn off. It's a good deal for everyone involved.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Surely we have the likes of Dougie, Curtis, Lennie, Phillips and Lee to influence the young players in the right way. I'm not entirely convinced what Kevin Davies can add to that. But if they feel he can then I think it would have to be in the correct role, not just as some "overpaid bench warmer".
I think you're underestimating the differences between a player/player relationship and a player/coach relationship. There's a significant difference between those two, even though the end goal is the same.

Michael Owen was signed by Man United because they needed someone to help the younger players in the squad. They didn't need him on the pitch, which is why he played so infrequently as a starter, yet they kept him around for 3 years, presumably on a good wage. Stoke are a good side too, and they want to keep him on for a second year, even though he very rarely gets a chance to play, and even when he does he's well past his peak. Both Pulis and Ferguson want him around, not because he sells shirts, which he doesn't, or because he's a supersub, but solely because of his influence on a squad. Even though fans can't see what he is bringing to the table, the managers can and they know how invaluable it is. Del Piero hung around at Juventus for the same reason, as did quite a few other Italians like Costacurta, for example. Generally, your leaders or good influences at clubs are kept around, not for financial reasons or because they are needed on the pitch for 15 minutes every 2 months, but because they add something else to a squad, which a coach doesn't really bring.

Not that I'm arguing every old player should be given the same treatment, of course, but I do think there's a role for a club legend. Give him a deal which only sees him receive a decent wage when he gets played, and keep him around for the younger players to learn off. It's a good deal for everyone involved.
Fine if you're Juve, but you're describing a luxury we can't afford.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 am

It might be fine if it wasn't bollocks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

Prufrock wrote:It might be fine if it wasn't the latest in a long line of 'knowing the game' bollocks.
EFA
Sto ut Serviam