Coyle on Talksport now

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jjpp
Hopeful
Hopeful

Coyle on Talksport now

Post by jjpp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Just tuned in, he's talking about his playing days at the moment. Hope he doesn't end up trying to claim credit for our recent form.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Coyle on Talksport now

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 pm

What else did he have to say, Fella?
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richar ... tic-193423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Not much of interest. He did say he sees no reason why Kevin Davies shouldn't get a new contract here.
Though his reasoning for that was cos he's a top bloke and he played last Saturday.
I think we can now see how the likes of Knight managed to get re-signed in the summer.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Not much of interest. He did say he sees no reason why Kevin Davies shouldn't get a new contract here.
Though his reasoning for that was cos he's a top bloke and he played last Saturday.
I think we can now see how the likes of Knight managed to get re-signed in the summer.
Much as OC managed badly with us, I very much doubt that's the extent of his reasoning re KD..He probably knows his value to the squad far better than you do.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't mind Coyle as a person, just wasn't the manager we wanted him to be or that he thought he was
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Not much of interest. He did say he sees no reason why Kevin Davies shouldn't get a new contract here.
Much as OC managed badly with us, I very much doubt that's the extent of his reasoning re KD..He probably knows his value to the squad far better than you do.
Tango - we are talking about a man here that signed that old codger from Burnley by dint f him being good to have around the place.

BWFC-I. Apparently Knight wanted to leave but not one single other club came in for him - and he was on a free!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?

The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?

The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.
Sorry. Must get that radio of mine fixed.....

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I for one still like the guy...just keep him as far as way from the Reebok as possible!!

Always felt his heart was in the right place, he just didn't always have the head for it. Hopefully he takes some time out, thinks about what and where he went wrong and gets some better, at least more learned, people around him. His charisma during the good old days was infectious and I really hope he applies that with a bit of tactical know how and does a good job at his next club.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I don't. He single-handedly dismantled the club. Not just results, but tactics, attitude, drive. It's difficult to actually believe it wasn't deliberate, so fully did he achieve the task.

He remained cocky, arrogant & full of himself right to the very end. Oblivious to the devastation he created.

He ostracised players because they didn't fit his personal life-style.

He mobbed the club with a backroom staff so woeful it's impossible to explain.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.
How many of that majority on this forum have ever managed a professional side, played professional football, sees them in training, or would even last ten minutes in a decent football match themselves? That's your yardstick for judging a player like Kevin Davies, is it? Forgive me for ever doubting you. What did he get that applause for on Saturday when he was subbed and why did the match commentators claim he'd played really well? Marc Isles in Bolton News gave him 6, same as N'gog, Eagles and Chungy, and said: "Occupied the Brighton defenders plenty. Yet more proof that the skipper has a big role to play". Do they know less than the majority on this forum? If so, some should be contacting the Reebok pronto.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: TD, how comes the majority on this forum who go to the games and watch, think KD's time is up. Why do you think that is?The bloke is just struggling and games are going on around him. It's not exactly hard to see.
How many of that majority on this forum have ever managed a professional side, played professional football, sees them in training, or would even last ten minutes in a decent football match themselves? That's your yardstick for judging a player like Kevin Davies, is it? Forgive me for ever doubting you. What did he get that applause for on Saturday when he was subbed and why did the match commentators claim he'd played really well? Marc Isles in Bolton News gave him 6, same as N'gog, Eagles and Chungy, and said: "Occupied the Brighton defenders plenty. Yet more proof that the skipper has a big role to play". Do they know less than the majority on this forum? If so, some should be contacting the Reebok pronto.

It's Marc Iles and I'm really not sure how his opinion is any more valid than anyone else's who watches football.

Nobody is picking on Kevin Davies, people just say what they see.

At the end of the day I don't see how you can on the one hand say Coyle's judgement was poor, but he's right about this. Kevin had one of his better games for a while on Saturday and worked hard. He still was pretty much ineffective all the way through.

I'd also say that our current manager has not yet offered KD a contract yet. Which perhaps suggests he's not exactly desperate to keep him unlike his namesake, Mark Davies who was given a new contract recently.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 pm

I wouldn't go too much off the applause either. Wasn't really a day to be booing - atmosphere in the ground just wasn't that bad on Saturday.

I think he might have been on a par with the same "score" as N'gog, but I thought both CYL and Eagles were a bit better than both our forwards who were largely ineffectual.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I wouldn't go too much off the applause either. Wasn't really a day to be booing - atmosphere in the ground just wasn't that bad on Saturday.

I think he might have been on a par with the same "score" as N'gog, but I thought both CYL and Eagles were a bit better than both our forwards who were largely ineffectual.
I thought Ngog played pretty well, in the link role. He just isn't great in the box.

He was more effective than KD IMO, and has been over the past few games.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 pm

His influence on the pitch is decreasing but I'd say his influence on starting players and youth players is increasing and benefiting them.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Relentless09 wrote:His influence on the pitch is decreasing but I'd say his influence on starting players and youth players is increasing and benefiting them.
Then shouldn't we being signing him as a coach instead of using one of the 18 spots on the team sheet on someone who isn't benefiting us on the pitch.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

He was the best of a very sorry bunch earlier in the season. 4th choice at best at the moment, though. I'd like to have him around, partly for a link with the days when we were good (can't be many, if any, others who remember that) and partly because I still think he can play a big role in the last ten minutes of games. That said, he's on captain's wages, and I think the money it would take to keep him wouldn't be worth the reward. Cheapo wages in the summer for me. I wouldn't expect him to take it though and I'd be surprised if he didn't have an eye on Chesterfield; and, if they don't go up, there could be a player-manager role in Sheffield.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
We can take it that this fellow from the local rag has managed a professional side, played professional football, seen them in training and would last ten minutes in a decent football match himself then can we, Tango? That is, according to you, the required criteria for holding an opinion then?!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
We can take it that this fellow from the local rag has managed a professional side, played professional football, seen them in training and would last ten minutes in a decent football match himself then can we, Tango? That is, according to you, the required criteria for holding an opinion then?!
No, it isn't. Not at all, and it isn't what I asked. It's quite clear above. Mark Wilson and his mate said the same and they're Tower Radio's commentators and were at the game. Nowhere, repeat nowhere, have I said anything whatsoever about not holding opinions. I just claim the same right to have one. I asked if sports reporters knew less than people on the forum. This might include the manager who keeps selecting Kevin Davies regardless. My opinion might not be worth a carrot; fair enough, but it's mine. If BWFCi does indeed speak for the majority on this forum who go to games, then obviously it's a solitary one.