Matchday Tips

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Matchday Tips

Post by superkev » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi All,

First I realise this is not a travel forum, so apologies if it appears I am hi-jacking it as such. However, I need some info direct from the fans!

Long story short, I am staying in Manchester on business over the weekend and see the mighty Wanders are playing Boro so have decided to get the train up and take in the game.

Any good boozers near the ground for a beer and a sing-song before the match?

Should I get a ticket now or just stroll up on the day 5 mins before kick-off? Don't really mind where I sit but would prefer not to be in with the away fans.

Any other tips?

Thanks indeed!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Matchday Tips

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Pubs aren't great, Scott's or Harvester opposite the stadium are ok and there may be the 'fanzone' under the East Stand. Ticket wise, I recommend buying online and using the Print@Home option.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 am

Top boys are going to Wetherspoons, Walkden
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

superkev wrote: Any other tips?
For the love of God - avoid Walkden (and Farnworth)
May the bridges I burn light your way

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Cheers lads. Any particular reason to buy the tickets online? Was hoping to just stroll up to stadium on the day. Is the game likely to be a sell-out?

Any songs should I learn?

#superkev #beans

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:16 pm

superkev wrote:Cheers lads. Any particular reason to buy the tickets online? Was hoping to just stroll up to stadium on the day. Is the game likely to be a sell-out?

Any songs should I learn?

#superkev #beans
It's just that it'll save you a lot of pfaffing around if you get them online and print them out at home. Would recommend the ESL for seats but at the opposite end to the scoreboard as the little scroats more interested in goading the away support than watching the game sit at the scoreboard end :D
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
superkev wrote:Cheers lads. Any particular reason to buy the tickets online? Was hoping to just stroll up to stadium on the day. Is the game likely to be a sell-out?
It's just that it'll save you a lot of pfaffing around

"Moi?"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
It's just that it'll save you a lot of pfaffing around

"Moi?"
:lol: :wink: classic
Pfffft.

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Ha ha! "Jean-Marie", when will you ever get your shit together?

Ok, so got the tickets, so just grab a train from Manchester Picadilly then?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 pm

superkev wrote:Ha ha! "Jean-Marie", when will you ever get your shit together?

Yes but make sure it stops at Horwich otherwise you will have to change at Bolton stn to get to the ground (That is a secret us Bolton fans are not supposed to tell visitors especially away fans :D )
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
superkev wrote:Ha ha! "Jean-Marie", when will you ever get your shit together?

Yes but make sure it stops at Horwich otherwise you will have to change at Bolton stn to get to the ground (That is a secret us Bolton fans are not supposed to tell visitors especially away fans :D )
Nice one! Looking forward to this now!

Are you allowed drink cans of "Stella" on the train? The last time I was in Manchester I was drinking cans of Stella on the train and I wonder if this courtesy is extended across the rail network or is it just an Airport train things?

Did I mention I like Stella? Mmm.....beery.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Get the Blackpool train from Manchester and makes sure it stops at the Parkway (Horwich) as that's the Reebok station. Only a five minute walk from there with the stadium in full view. The Glasgow train goes through Manchester, Bolton and Blackpool but (unless it's changed lately) doesn't stop at Horwich Parkway.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Get the Blackpool train from Manchester and makes sure it stops at the Parkway (Horwich) as that's the Reebok station. Only a five minute walk from there with the stadium in full view. The Glasgow train goes through Manchester, Bolton and Blackpool but (unless it's changed lately) doesn't stop at Horwich Parkway.
Excellent. Is drinking outside the stadium enouraged / frowned upon / illegal? Will they have Stella? Are there any other drinks they have.

Sorry for all these questions, but I am not a regular visitor to England.

Let's say I go into the local 'spoons for and English brekky, and say I don't want beans, will they throw on an extra rasher if I ask them nicely?

What are the chances of meeting some of the players after the game?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Get the Blackpool train from Manchester and makes sure it stops at the Parkway (Horwich) as that's the Reebok station. Only a five minute walk from there with the stadium in full view. The Glasgow train goes through Manchester, Bolton and Blackpool but (unless it's changed lately) doesn't stop at Horwich Parkway.
5 minutes with a zimmer maybe. I could hop it on a stilt in less! :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 pm

superkev wrote:
Excellent. Is drinking outside the stadium enouraged / frowned upon / illegal? Will they have Stella? Are there any other drinks they have.

Let's say I go into the local 'spoons for and English brekky, and say I don't want beans, will they throw on an extra rasher if I ask them nicely?

Unlikely they are so far removed with the common man these days (footballers in general I mean). I am not saying it will not happen am just saying it is unlikely.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
5 minutes with a zimmer maybe. I could hop it on a stilt in less! :D
How long would it take if I have been consuming cans of Stella non stop since 7 in the morning? I'm not usually a big drinker but hey, why not? As long as it's Stella mind.

I made up a song about Kevin Davies.

"Oh Kevin Davies
He used to play for Villa*
But he's a trotter now"

*Did not play for Villa.

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
superkev wrote:

Unlikely they are so far removed with the common man these days (footballers in general I mean). I am not saying it will not happen am just saying it is unlikely.
That's true. Kevin Davies seems like a nice guy. I need to make up a new song for him, my last one wasn't very good (see above).

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm

How long does a soccer game go on for? How long does the break between each quarter last for? Do they serve cans of Stella?

Oh Kevin Davies
His middle name is Cyrill
And he has a car

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

superkev wrote:How long does a soccer game go on for? How long does the break between each quarter last for? Do they serve cans of Stella?

Oh Kevin Davies
And he has a car
American, got you there my friend. I suggest on your trip to England you use the word football. A game of footy lasts 90 mins with a break at the half way point (called half time) this lasts 15 mins. This may help you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football with any further questions on the greatest sport in the world. Hope it helps.

superkev
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superkev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
superkev wrote:How long does a soccer game go on for? How long does the break between each quarter last for? Do they serve cans of Stella?

Oh Kevin Davies
And he has a car
American, got you there my friend. I suggest on your trip to England you use the word football. A game of footy lasts 90 mins with a break at the half way point (called half time) this lasts 15 mins. This may help you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football with any further questions on the greatest sport in the world. Hope it helps.
Ah, with you now. Sorry about that? So they probably don't sell foam fingers at the game?

By the way, that wikipedia website looks good, where did you find it? don't think we have it in the states...