The Championship 2013/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

The Championship 2013/14

Post by Enoch » Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Forty six games left, one hundred and thirty eight points on offer, promotion achievable.

I'm really looking forward to it!

:drink:

On a purely selfish note, I'm also looking forward to QPR, Reading and hopefully Brentford for some away days and that's without adding all the cut and thrust of The-Wanderer into the mix.

Bring it on, I can't wait.
Last edited by Enoch on Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Chapionship 2013/14

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Aye Reading and QPR are two defos. Hopefully Leicester will go up. Brentford would be nice too. Bournemouth might even be doable. Plenty football next year!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat May 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Football is dead to me.........until August.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I envy you. I think I've found a six-a-side team to play for thankfully coz I'd go mental otherwise. Think I'm gonna take up tennis too. Anything to speed up the time till August. Hopefully dougie's got this home form nailed. Cardiff won something like their first 13. Some sort of run like this and hit the top early would be good. I really don't think we're as far away as some think. Centre half, left back if Alonso goes, and a striker. Couple of squadies if poss and we'll be reet. As good a player as Jedinak has looked when I've seen him, surely him OR Spearing?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Think you could add an "m" into your headline Enoch? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Think you could add an "m" into your headline Enoch? :wink:
I thought I'd got away with that you bugger, ain't it past your bedtime!!

In mitigation I have been busy helping some Maidstone fans celebrate their promotion today. If anyone thinks the Championship's a poor standard, they should watch some Ryman South Division. Cracking fun though.

:)

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Re: The Championship 2013/14

Post by freeindeed » Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 pm

QPR
Reading
Bolton
Nottm Forest
Charlton
Derby
Burnley
Birmingham
Leeds United
Ipswich
Blackpool
Middlesbrough
Blackburn
Sheff Wed
Huddersfield
Millwall
Barnsley
Doncaster
Bournemouth

Plus

One of: Wigan, Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich or Southampton.
One of: Brentford, Yeovil, Sheff Utd, Swindon
Three of: Watford, Brighton, Crystal Palace or Leicester

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Personally I am not to disappointed to be not to be in the play offs, I don't think our current squad has enough quality to step up to the premiership next year without massive investment. That said this year the Championship has been probably one of the most competitive leagues in Europe with only 14 points between play offs and relegation. This tightness meant that on the last day of season 2 teams competed for the last automatic spot, 4 teams for the last two play of slots, and any one of about 5 clubs could of been relegated.

I see no reason for next year to be any different, a minimum of 16 teams with premiership experience ( 9 in the last 3 years including the 3 relegated this year ). Promotion next year is going to be no easy feat, although play offs have to be our minimum target.

Certainly we have the potential to challenge a core of players to build round, I think we need 4 key players ( An out and out goal scorer, Central defenders and an experience midfield general ). Injuries have cost us at the latter end of the season Mavies, Spearing and Ngog. Holden will get a full pre season under him and hopefully recapture the form he showed when he first joined us, CYL showed glimpses of his best and we can get more consistant performances next season. Medo looks to be a great signing and becoming a fans favourite. Also expect to see some of this seasons young fringe players step up and may an impression Hall ( DF clearly rates him), Eaves and Vela.

Top of my wish list would be Jordan Rhodes although maybe out of our budget, Richard Dunne is out of contract in the summer and would certainly organise our defence on the pitch.

Looking forward to August already.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Next season will be no cake-walk.

As much as I think we need to rebuild somewhat and as much as I think Dougie is ace, I'm worried that we still have quite a lot to do, to be really competitive.

Two full backs, a centre half or two, a wide player or two, someone who can create in midfield, a striker, if not two...

Big shopping list is that....good luck Dougie.

I just hope we are mentally tougher next season and the players that come in can stand up and be counted when needed. We were close this season. But still think even on our best run we lacked a few key qualities.

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Next season will be no cake-walk.

As much as I think we need to rebuild somewhat and as much as I think Dougie is ace, I'm worried that we still have quite a lot to do, to be really competitive.

Two full backs, a centre half or two, a wide player or two, someone who can create in midfield, a striker, if not two...

Big shopping list is that....good luck Dougie.

I just hope we are mentally tougher next season and the players that come in can stand up and be counted when needed. We were close this season. But still think even on our best run we lacked a few key qualities.
Think we need four quality players, maybe 5 assuming we have to replace Alonso.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun May 05, 2013 12:05 am

For me, the middle of the park isn't far off.

CYL Holden Medo Eagles

With Pratley & Vela along with the injured Mark Davies as backup we just need decent wingers to back up CYL and Eagles and possibly someone like Jedinak at Palace to solidify the central midfield.

Up top like most have said, we need a goal scorer. No messing about with this.. We don't have time to try somebody untested. We need a Murray or a Rhodes or even someone like Ebanks-Blake at Wolves. Scored 15 goals this season for relegated Wolves and would be cheap enough. He would score the goals we need but not be upto much if we was promoted.

The backline needs work. I would keep Ricketts in there. Not the player he was for us but can do a job. I would think about bringing him inside to CB with his ageing legs. Wheater is more than good enough but I would think about replacing Knight. Always got a mistake in him and certainly shouldn't be Captain IMO. Ream & Mills are fine as backup. Alonso looks to be off so its looking like a new LB and RB. Would love to see us go for Kieran Trippier at Burnley. Been fantastic this season and still only 22. I think he made team of the year aswell.

I don't envy Dougie's task but I do however have every confidence that he will sort it out.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 am

Goalkeepers: I think Bogdan and Lonergan are easily good enough for the division. Should Bogdan get injured, I have a lot of confidence in Lonergan to step up, so there's no issue there for me. It'd be hugely unfortunate to lose two keepers at the same time and even though, Jay Lynch seems to be a decent prospect.

Right back: Mears is good enough, I think. I'd like to keep hold of Riley as cover because I think he does have potential but it's a shame he seems permanently injured. I think a lot of Bolton fans were hoping he'd force his way into the team this year, given Steinsson leaving us and Mears looking quite average. I hope it happens for him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced. Mears is a good enough first choice and Ricketts provides good cover.

Left back: Alonso will almost certainly be off now, which is a shame. I hope we can keep hold of him but if he does go, I think Ricketts will be pushed back to left back if we don't bring in a first choice replacement. I don't mind Ricketts on the left but we certainly need extra help there, maybe in the form of a starter to replace Alonso.

Centre back: Wheater being fit will be a massive boost for us next year as he's our best centre back by quite a distance. I'd partner him with Ream again, as I liked their partnership last year. Knight and Mills are good cover there, so I see no reason why we would be in the market for a central defender.

Right wing: Chungy will definite be a starter here for us next year. He's not impressed enough to warrant a move, plus we'd probably want too much for him. The issue here is cover, which is very limited. Eagles can play on the right but I expect him to be starting elsewhere. We need another right sided midfielder.

Left wing: Same as on the left really. Eagles will be starting on the left but that's not enough, in case of injuries/fatigue/suspension etc.. We need a left winger, preferably one with a left foot who will attack opposition directly and threaten from crosses.

Central midfield: I like the look of out midfield. Pratley puts in so much effort, he's a very useful squad player in this league. We have Holden back, Vela, Medo and Andrews, who are all sound enough players. I'm excited to see Mark Davies back too and when he is back, I hope he can touch some of the form we saw glimpses of this year.

Strikers: We need a goalscorer here. I'd say Sordell is the most likely to bag 15+ goals a season but I wouldn't fancy a bet on it. I like N'Gog and Davies but I'm not sure how many goals they have in them. Eaves has impressed me from what I've seen but I don't think he's the natural goalscorer we need, so it must be a priority for Freedman to bring in a proper goalscorer. Kevin Phillips is a long way past his best but if we had someone like him in our starting 11 for most games, I think he'd have scored far more than any other of our strikers despite his weaknesses.

So yeah, key positions for me are both full back positions, two wingers and a goalscorer up front. Aside from that, I think we've got a well balanced and strong squad, so rather than rebuild too much, I hope we just add to what we've already got and come back stronger next year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am

Since Dawson arrived and started playing we played 8 home games and conceded 3 goals in them and kept 5 clean sheets. So 3 games we conceded 1, and in 5 games we kept a clean sheet. Yesterday, well we all know what happened.....

I'd say the evidence is pretty clear that we need a new centre back who can replicate the sort of defending, organisation, physicality and reading of the game that Dawson brought to the club.

Not a chance in hell Ream can do that. Yesterday he spent most of the game backing off and retreating behind the striker, scared to come and win the ball. He is not what is needed at a level where you need to stand up to the physical presence of a striker and counteract it. He might be nice on the ball, but we need two solid as a rock centre backs. Ream definitely one to move on if we can.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am

Ream just looked frightened to me. If you dont enjoy football find another job!

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 am

To be honest we weren't going to beat Watford, Brighton or Palace over two legs.

I'm just happy that we might have a bright future over the next 20 years. By the time Clueless was deposed, I thought I'd be an old man before we saw a decent Prem promotion campaign. I imagined waiting decades for the next Rioch to come along.

Thanks to Freedman we only had to wait a few months for a serious tilt at the top flight. He seems like a seriously smart and ambitious club-builder of a manager. By August we could be a mean match-winning machine. We might even win a few away.

Code: Select all

Bogdan

Ricketts       Wheater           ???           ???

Eagles         Holden           Spearing         Lee      

M. Davies    
                                Sordell
Bogdan has earned his place back. Wheater is the only CB on our books I actually like as a footballer. Ream had potential but the Coyle run sapped his confidence and he needs a fresh start elsewhere. Knight has been OK this year but I'm not sure how many more aimless long-balls I can stand to watch. Mears is a reasonable Championship player but I saw him remonstrate with fans (with the ball still in play) because he was getting dogs abuse. Just move on, son.

Our midfield - including Kamara and Pratley on the bench - could be formidable. Up front, Sordell is still the forward on our books with the most potential. This summer it's time to help him realise it. He's young and already proven he can do it in this division.

I've always wanted to see Mavies behind the main striker and, before he got injured, Dougie had just started to use him so. If we're under pressure, Mavies drops back while Spearing does likewise and you have 4-5-1 with a holding player for however long you need.

After Coyle threatened to take the club back to the dark ages, the future still has a soft glow about it. More London games to look forward to. Maybe I'll see some of you there :)

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 am

freeindeed wrote:QPR
Reading
Bolton
Nottm Forest
Charlton
Derby
Burnley
Birmingham
Leeds United
Ipswich
Blackpool
Middlesbrough
Blackburn
Sheff Wed
Huddersfield
Millwall
Barnsley
Doncaster
Bournemouth

Plus

One of: Wigan, Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich or Southampton.
One of: Brentford, Yeovil, Sheff Utd, Swindon
Three of: Watford, Brighton, Crystal Palace or Leicester
Thanks for that freeindeed, have bolded the grounds I will be looking to do next season, obviously some are barring ifs and buts. Already buzzing for next season. Personally I think we underacheived this season and we should of finished in the play offs, next season we need to make sure we are in the mix for automatic promotion at the very least.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I would resign Faye in a heart beat. Strong and good aerially. Would provide great cover. Got two teams promoted in two seasons. Great addition for squad cover/rotation

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Since Dawson arrived and started playing we played 8 home games and conceded 3 goals in them and kept 5 clean sheets. So 3 games we conceded 1, and in 5 games we kept a clean sheet. Yesterday, well we all know what happened.....

I'd say the evidence is pretty clear that we need a new centre back who can replicate the sort of defending, organisation, physicality and reading of the game that Dawson brought to the club.

Not a chance in hell Ream can do that. Yesterday he spent most of the game backing off and retreating behind the striker, scared to come and win the ball. He is not what is needed at a level where you need to stand up to the physical presence of a striker and counteract it. He might be nice on the ball, but we need two solid as a rock centre backs. Ream definitely one to move on if we can.
Ream was fine yesterday, better than Knight, and that's considering he's not been in the team for such a long time which you have to bare that in mind when judging his overall performance. He would have been physically rusty and not as quick mentally either. All players need regular performances before they can reach their full playing potential, which isn't something Ream has had for us except during his strong partnership with Wheater.

If I was looking to get rid of any defender, it'd be Knight. He's as error prone as Ream, with less pace, much less ability on the ball but better aerially. I don't think any individual player has come close to costing us as many points as Knight did this season, both with his clumsiness and inept defending. For a 33 year old with over 300 appearances in his career, his organisational qualities are remarkably poor.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Since Dawson arrived and started playing we played 8 home games and conceded 3 goals in them and kept 5 clean sheets. So 3 games we conceded 1, and in 5 games we kept a clean sheet. Yesterday, well we all know what happened.....

Ream was fine yesterday, better than Knight, and that's considering he's not been in the team for such a long time which you have to bare that in mind when judging his overall performance. He would have been physically rusty and not as quick mentally either. All players need regular performances before they can reach their full playing potential, which isn't something Ream has had for us except during his strong partnership with Wheater.

If I was looking to get rid of any defender, it'd be Knight. He's as error prone as Ream, with less pace, much less ability on the ball but better aerially. I don't think any individual player has come close to costing us as many points as Knight did this season, both with his clumsiness and inept defending. For a 33 year old with over 300 appearances in his career, his organisational qualities are remarkably poor.
I don't dispute Knight has weaknesses in his game. However, he's better than Ream. By some way.

Yesterday Ream retreated at every chance he got. Not once did he push up and win the ball.

Knight was part of the defence that had our best run of clean sheets at home in two decades or whatever....

Anyhow, I think we need two new centre backs.

Get rid of Ream and Mills if at all possible and bring in two who can actually defend.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 05, 2013 3:27 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote: Ream was fine yesterday, better than Knight, and that's considering he's not been in the team for such a long time which you have to bare that in mind when judging his overall performance. He would have been physically rusty and not as quick mentally either. All players need regular performances before they can reach their full playing potential, which isn't something Ream has had for us except during his strong partnership with Wheater.
That not something training should take care of then, Smoky? Assuming they do play football in training these days as well as have talks on structure and cohesion, of course. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?