Not That Kind Of 5-1

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

Not That Kind Of 5-1

Post by keveh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Remember the 5-1 win over Newcastle? So does Dave Sutton's barnet, but possibly not the same way...

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/no ... kind-of-51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Re: Not That Kind Of 5-1

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:01 pm

It's an interesting analysis
Regardless, it was exciting, was great to watch and I really enjoyed it as I did the later game v Blackpool, which although not ending in a win, was very entertaining
It was one of about 3 or 4 games under Coyle where we lifted ourselves above functionality and I honestly thought he had something
I was wrong
Sto ut Serviam

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Well, well, well. There's a thing. (Davies being key not Elmander I mean)
Great article, cheers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Well, well, well. There's a thing. (Davies being key not Elmander I mean)
Great article, cheers.
Damn lies :mrgreen:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:It's an interesting analysis
Regardless, it was exciting, was great to watch and I really enjoyed it as I did the later game v Blackpool, which although not ending in a win, was very entertaining
It was one of about 3 or 4 games under Coyle where we lifted ourselves above functionality and I honestly thought he had something
I was wrong
The November to Remember, good wins against Spurs, Wolves and Newcastle, and draws against Everton and Blackpool, two games we arguably should have won! (Chungy at fault for a last minute equaliser from Jermaine Beckford against Everton I think)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Beefheart wrote:The November to Remember, good wins against Spurs, Wolves and Newcastle, and draws against Everton and Blackpool, two games we arguably should have won! (Chungy at fault for a last minute equaliser from Jermaine Beckford against Everton I think)
'Arguably', aye. Blackpool had majority possession, attempting and completing more passes than us, and although we had more shots, the on-target count was only 10-6 to us. At Everton, Beckford's late leveller was a sickener but hardly undeserved: they'd had 65% of the ball, completing 357 passes to our 146, and we'd managed 3 shots on target to their 7. Oh and Wolves also matched us for shots and edged us on passing and possession, so despite a couple of gorgeous goals, it's hardly like we bossed them off the park.

I'm painfully aware that there's more to life (and football) than numbers, but I do this sort of analysis as part of my job and it's instructive. That November was successful, and I enjoyed those delightful wins, but the points came via fine goals and fine margins: let's not kid ourselves that we were Daddy Football.

It's entirely possible that our run last season was built on similar margin calls, but I can't check as Opta didn't cover the Football League last season. But elsewhere I've just noticed that the Press Association stats for the first game of Dougie's lossless run, the 2-1 home win over Burnley at which people booed his substitutions (which then produced two goals), show we registered 18 shots to the vistors' 5...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:It's an interesting analysis
I was wrong
Thanks (including for your honest self-appraisal, rare round here). I too hoped we were on the road to good things. It's hard not to enjoy a 5-1 win, or a draw from two goals down sealed with a glorious team-move goal in injury time. Likesay, I was happy too. My main point is that we weren't actually dominating teams - not a haphazard Newcastle, not even a relegation-haunted Blackpool (who, let's not forget, put four past us later that season).

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 pm

The last paragraph reads to me "Coyle probably wasn't as clueless as some might think"... preparing us for Wigan this coming season? :twisted:

Rodrigo scored for Spain U21's the other day!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:The last paragraph reads to me "Coyle probably wasn't as clueless as some might think"... preparing us for Wigan this coming season? :twisted:

Isn't he Portugese? :?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:The last paragraph reads to me "Coyle probably wasn't as clueless as some might think"...
An interesting reading, but there's some truth there – I don't think he can possibly be as clueless as some think, although I do think he was too single-minded and believed his own hype.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 pm

The link that was posted the other day from Coyles interview with 4-4-2, where he was happy to lap up the praise but was said to have bristled when told that the stats suggested our style hadn't developed since Megson.

From those stats with Jussi belting it up to SKD, it suggests we hadn't developed since Sam never mind Megson.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:From those stats with Jussi belting it up to SKD, it suggests we hadn't developed since Sam never mind Megson.
One thing for sure, it won't be our favourite tactic this time around!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 am

What I remember from the game is the performance of the front two - Davies looked a lot more effective than the super-hyped target man of the day Andy Carroll, and Elmander gave them a torrid time especially with his ball carrying - culminating in a couple of brutal fouls on him made out of frustration.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 am

I'm not a lover of statistics. To me there's only one stat that matters and the rest is just waffle.

You could say that the reason Newcastle attempted more passes was because we forced them to. Our pacey attack closing them down every time we got the ball and hurrying them into moving the ball on.

Hardly likely I know but y'know....stats.

Anyway that game I thought the result was justified and the game was as good as over at 1-0. They didn't seem to be able to go forward with any conviction and always looked dodgy at the back. Mabe 5-1 was flattering but good. Good for us.

However I think Owen let the cat out of the bag after the Blackpool 2-2 when he said that he was 'prepared to lose it 4-0 in order to try and get something out of the game'.

This all guns blazing approach might work once in a while but more often that not it will wind up with you getting stuffed out of sight.

His tactic of..erm...what was Coyle's tactic again? Well, whatever it was clearly didn't work and his only Plan B was a the gung-ho playground style on-slaught

That said at 2-0 with 10minues left I said to my mate 'Plenty of time yet' as you could see Blackpool weren't really that good.

The fact we drew 2-2 was good. The fact we had to come back from 2-0 down wasn't.

Bring back the ribbons!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:The last paragraph reads to me "Coyle probably wasn't as clueless as some might think"... preparing us for Wigan this coming season? :twisted:

No.. But he plays for a team in Portugal
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:From those stats with Jussi belting it up to SKD, it suggests we hadn't developed since Sam never mind Megson.
...whereas Jussi now has Andy Carroll to belt it upfield to. And still does, with monotonous regularity, and a similar 50% success rate.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

For some reason I thought he was. Not that it makes any difference. Ta :)

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

AT, get ya facts right before you post!!

:D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 pm

He's actually Brazilian and lived there until he was 13/14 if memory serves, but qualifies through Spanish citizenship.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

AT, get ya facts right before you post!!

:D
Brazilian/Portugese - same language, close enough :mrgreen: