First ever League Goal in 1888

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

First ever League Goal in 1888

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 am

It has just been "proven" that Bolton winger Kenny Davenport scored the first ever league goal at 3.47pm on the 8th September 1888 in the game against Notts County at Pikes Lane. Unfortunately we lost the game 6-3 after being 2-0 up, nothing ever changes I guess. :) But at least we have a record that can never be beaten or equalled.

See article on today's BBC Sports web page.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Re: First ever League Goal in 1888

Post by m_taylor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23397062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 am

We actually scored the first two :) both by Davenport.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

FaninOz wrote:It has just been "proven" that Bolton winger Kenny Davenport scored the first ever league goal at 3.47pm on the 8th September 1888 in the game against Notts County at Pikes Lane. Unfortunately we lost the game 6-3 after being 2-0 up, nothing ever changes I guess. :) But at least we have a record that can never be beaten or equalled.

Found this on it as well, Fella.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

FaninOz wrote:It has just been "proven" that Bolton winger Kenny Davenport scored the first ever league goal at 3.47pm on the 8th September 1888 in the game against Notts County at Pikes Lane. Unfortunately we lost the game 6-3 after being 2-0 up, nothing ever changes I guess. :) But at least we have a record that can never be beaten or equalled.

Two things:
1st - where's the video? :wink:
2nd - against Derby County, not Notts County.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

Yes, but did it take a deflection?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Yes, but did it take a deflection?
No. They didn't deflect until about 1962, before then they went straight in or felled the defender. 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Two things:
Exactly, I wanna see what this davenport fella looks like on youtube before we claim this goal...

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Two things:
Oops I was only young at the time so I gets the Counties mixed up at my age. My memory isn't what it used to be. :)
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

bean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Turns out that the BBC originally got the counties mixed up, as one of the comments (accurately) says:
Small error, Bolton played Derby County that day. Not an earth shattering fact but we like to make sure all the unwanted records are ours.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm

bean wrote:Turns out that the BBC originally got the counties mixed up, as one of the comments (accurately) says:
Small error, Bolton played Derby County that day. Not an earth shattering fact but we like to make sure all the unwanted records are ours.
So why are we playing Burnley and not Derby County on Saturday??

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:03 pm

FaninOz wrote:
bean wrote:Turns out that the BBC originally got the counties mixed up, as one of the comments (accurately) says:
So why are we playing Burnley and not Derby County on Saturday??
I bought this up in another thread. I got poo pooed about it, something about playing Derby would be a meaningless game. Less meaningless now though, surely?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください