Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

VICIOUS
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Freedman out!

Post by VICIOUS » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Looking forward to your cup final on tuesday?Dont worry,we will go easy on you.

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:52 pm

VICIOUS wrote:Looking forward to your cup final on tuesday?Dont worry,we will go easy on you.

It will be an interesting night. I would personally take another 4-1 or 4-2 beating off Bury if it results in Freedman sacked.

On the back of all the failure Freedman has delivered Gartside and Davies wouldn't put up with that would they?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 am

BWFC have always been very patient with their managers. Can't imagine this will change anytime soon. By the way, hi everyone. I have introduce myself on the New Members :)

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 am

VICIOUS wrote:Looking forward to your cup final on tuesday?Dont worry,we will go easy on you.
Will you be supplying your own buckets to rattle or do you want to borrow some?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:51 am

Ah well, just feck off dugout! I'd wager you couldn't manage a crap properly.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am

I think all football people go on media courses these days. With such a high demand for 'content' they need to be able to talk to tv, radio, internets, print and so on on a much more frequent basis than they ever did even say 10 years ago.

I think the club bungled though and sent Dougie on a course ran by a company more used to handing the PR for dictators and terrorist organisations.

The man's amazing at blustering and obfustication. Ask him a question and you'll get so many answers rolled into one reply that you won't know if he's defending his team selection or attrocities carried out by Khmer Rouge.

His blatent refusal to accept what everyone can see borders almost on Lance Armstrong-esque sociopathy and his beligerence and constant repeition of his 'message' would make Chemical Ali blush.

'Uncharacteristic'? Are you having a laugh Dougie?

Jack Dearden's hardly Paxo and I know they have to keep in with the club but Jesus H Campo - can he not be called out on anything?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:21 am

I don't like Freedman, never have, but i am/was hoping going into his third season he would have what would vaguely resemble a fairly decent team, or one he could organise adequately. What I see are a bunch of players he can't organise and some of them are "mirror images" i.e Spearing/Medo, Beckford/C. Davies. They just don't compliment each other. Don't see the team or Freedman doing much this season, apart from struggling. Hope i'm wrong :(

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:11 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28730678

Maybe we should follow suit? :lol:
Wishful thinking - but not with our pathetic excuse of a chairman who thinks that Freedman is doing such a good job, despite most supporters thinking that Freedman is a useless amateur....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 am

I accept that it's not a simple role, that we're in a terrible state and he isn't free to spend his way out of that. I even want to believe that he's doing magnificent work in the background, that invisible stuff.

I want Freedman to succeed. Simply because that will mean Bolton are succeeding. I will be delighted to be proven wrong and to eat my words. I will apologise fulsomly. I will admit I was unfair and too quick to condemn, that I know nothing of football and that I'm no more than a negative thinker.

It's just that I'm not going to have to, am I ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am

Freedmans been in post longer and arguably performed worse given resource...

See I think its crazy, knee jerk to talk about sacking but you look at that team yesterday and listen to those there - he just doesn't learn! Its hard to see it going any other way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am

Bloody hell! Football is nuts.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 am

Mark Robbins saved Alex Ferguson's career - couldn't even save his own!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 am

Some clubs act quick don't they :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 am

That's not a good thing!

Either he should have been flirted at the end of last year, or you give him more time than 1 game! It's turning into a parody of itself. There'll be half-time sackings next.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:That's not a good thing!

Either he should have been flirted at the end of last year, or you give him more time than 1 game! It's turning into a parody of itself. There'll be half-time sackings next.
Freedmans mistake is chasing players 'he knows', 'yes boss' men, familiarty breeds contempt.
I suspect this causes problems with those who are not in his clique hence underlying tension within the club.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:13 pm

I understand we are shopping in the bargain basement, but am frustrated that dougie only seems to see one way to be a manager - he seems to think that the way to be a manager is to define a style of play (however mysterious it might be) and then buy players to match it...

the outcome is that he can't afford the players he wants and so ends up pissing and moaning about not having any cash or about players not buying into what he is trying to do...

all of that would be fine and dandy if we had the luxury - but we don't. I still reckon that the manager's basic job is to take the players he has - whether they are the exact mix/quality that he would like or not - and do one (or preferably both!) of two things with them...

1) set them up so they all know clearly and unmistakeably what they are supposed to be doing - and forge a plan/strategy/shape that exploits their best qualities and makes us hard to beat. in other words - Pulis

2) instill in them through the (surely essential) skills of man-management a do-or-die/give-everything/challenge-for-everything/always-chase-a-lost-cause mentality. in other words - Big Sam

what we need is the bastard son of Pulis and Allardyce. Freedman isn't that :-(
Last edited by thebish on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:45 pm

thebish wrote:I understand we are shopping in the bargain basement, but am frustrated that dougie only seems to see one way to be a manager - he seems to think that the way to be a manager is to define a style of play (however mysterious it might be) and then buy players to match it...

the outcome is that he can't afford the players he wants and so ends up pissing and moaning about not having any cash or about players not buying into what he is trying to do...

all of that would be fine and dandy if we had the luxury - but we don't. I still reckon that the manager's basic job is to take the players he has - whether they are the exact mix/quality that he would like or not - and do one of two things with them...

1) set them up so they all know clearly and unmistakeably what they are supposed to be doing - and forge a plan/strategy/shape that exploits their best qualities and makes us hard to beat. in other words - Pulis

2) instill in them through the (surely essential) skills of man-management a do-or-die/give-everything/challenge-for-everything/always-chase-a-lost-cause mentality. in other words - Big Sam

What we need is a miracle. You reckon your boss fancies handing any out again?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm

The players that Freedman wants aren't the right types. He wants players who have high workrate, get around the pitch, are able to attack and defend but realistically, if a player can do all of that and yet are technically gifted too, they aren't coming to us, they'll be in the Premier League. There has to be a compromise and you do need a few 'lazy' but enigmatic players, though when you look through each name, how many of the players in this Freedman squad have the ability to dribble past an opponent? How many are good passers of the ball? How many good finishers do we have? He's shipped out Eagles, who was a good dribbler, Moritz, who was skillful and Sordell, who is a good finisher and yet bring in players who don't have that same level of technical ability.

Freedman's squad building philosophy is wrong and he's not going to find the right balance because he doesn't believe in having a balance at all, he wants every player to suit his ideal. The players he's signed aren't all terrible but they don't make an effective team either.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:That's not a good thing!

You're right of course. As much as I'd like to see the back of him there's no way he's going any time soon. I think they could reasonably assess and make a decision after 6 games, unless we get hammered in the next 3.

As silly as I think it is, I'm a little bit jealous of Huddersfield fans today though.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:45 pm

thebish wrote:I understand we are shopping in the bargain basement, but am frustrated that dougie only seems to see one way to be a manager - he seems to think that the way to be a manager is to define a style of play (however mysterious it might be) and then buy players to match it...

all of that would be fine and dandy if we had the luxury - but we don't. I still reckon that the manager's basic job is to take the players he has - whether they are the exact mix/quality that he would like or not - and do one (or preferably both!) of two things with them...

The Bish has nailed it for me there. We can argue until the cows come home about which players would improve us/would join us/we can afford but until they all know collectively what they are supposed to be doing, we've no chance.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"