Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:Why Solksjaer though?

Again, a real student of the game. Learned at the highest level. As much as I, and many on here have a hate , hate, relationship with the team he played for; they were one of the most succesful trophy winning teams of the recent era. He learned a great deal from the most succesful manager of the era. He is winning things, ( albeit in Norway) with his current side and is well respected within 'the game' as someone who will one day ( with us?) be a very good and succesful manager. And as a change, I think he would do the club a world of good, as we have had two managers in three years who have failed to produce anything like winning football. We, as a club, are in a massive slump. This needs to be addressed urgently. As mentioned in my previous post, the next drop is a massive one, and one which as a club, town and community can ill afford.
Solskjær turned his nose up at the bolton job didn't he? - or refused to talk to PG as I understand, when OC got sacked and PG was "looking for an up-and-coming young manager"

I have a lot of time for Solskjær (with Neville alongside would be splendid in my book) - I don't buy into this "I hate United and everyone associated with it" attitude. If somebody can do a job for us and puts his heart and soull into BWFC I don't care what backgropund they might come from, as long as they are gooood

Surely City are more hate-worthy?
:shock: , I celebrated city winning the league simply because it stopped united winning the league.
Really? I was at Stoke, gutted we got relegated.....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:32 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:understandably the anti DF sentiment is higher tonight - wheres that poll gone ? - and the Df supporters seem to be lying low.

back in October Enoch was saying about giving dougie more time and I asked how long should he be given. I couldnt draw an answer then, but just wondered (from the pro and con DF camps what the concensus of opinion is now ?

to me if we keep him to the end of the season - suspect mid table, but worried of having a flirt with relegation. wonder what he would be given and do in the jan window

I'm still in the camp that thinks we have a relative wealth of players who should be competing at the top end. so I don't think any new manager needs the jan window. however its simply a case of what we want from this season - is it a write off. To me its still retrievable,but only just and if we want to have a chance he's got to go now
I'm no "Dougie apologist" I just want whats best for the club. If Dougie does go I would hope that Gartside goes too. He's becoming less and less relevant in the footballing world
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:34 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:There is a lot of talk of Dougie outers and supporters. There is a fairly large (IMO) 3rd camp, that admittedly is diminishing in favour of the outers. The 3rd camp is the 'Don't think Dougie is doing a great job, but are fearful of the merry-go-round' camp.

I'll get this in early; I didn't think appointing Dougie was a good decision. In fact I thought it was a poor one, but figured we need to get behind someone and stick with them.

I'm now of the opinion that Dougie needs to go unless there is a sudden and radical sustained transformation. Do I believe that will happen (the transformation)? No. The issue I have is that before we dispense with the services of yet another poor/average manager, we need to have a proper decent one lined up. Unless there is a good candidate we will end up with another Johnny Come Lately, who will tinker around with staff and players, costing a good few million quid and a result fairly close to what we have now. The cycle repeats over the decades until we get lucky and stumble upon an Allardyce or Rioch. Meanwhile Uncle Eddie can't last forever and the underwriting of the mess dries up. I firmly believe the decision on firing of Dougie and hiring the next guy will dictate if we have any hope of not joining the likes of Coventry.

With Dougie we're just going to stumble around the Championship for the next few seasons. Lets get rid, but wait until we have the right replacement available, even if that means waiting months.
Very eloquently put, sir. That's what I was trying to say and I would add myself to that 3rd group
Pfffft.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:43 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

Again, a real student of the game. Learned at the highest level. As much as I, and many on here have a hate , hate, relationship with the team he played for; they were one of the most succesful trophy winning teams of the recent era. He learned a great deal from the most succesful manager of the era. He is winning things, ( albeit in Norway) with his current side and is well respected within 'the game' as someone who will one day ( with us?) be a very good and succesful manager. And as a change, I think he would do the club a world of good, as we have had two managers in three years who have failed to produce anything like winning football. We, as a club, are in a massive slump. This needs to be addressed urgently. As mentioned in my previous post, the next drop is a massive one, and one which as a club, town and community can ill afford.
Solskjær turned his nose up at the bolton job didn't he? - or refused to talk to PG as I understand, when OC got sacked and PG was "looking for an up-and-coming young manager"

I have a lot of time for Solskjær (with Neville alongside would be splendid in my book) - I don't buy into this "I hate United and everyone associated with it" attitude. If somebody can do a job for us and puts his heart and soull into BWFC I don't care what backgropund they might come from, as long as they are gooood

:shock: , I celebrated city winning the league simply because it stopped united winning the league.
Really? I was at Stoke, gutted we got relegated.....
I tried to see the bright side of a dim situation, I had an exam the next day so it would not have been sensible to go up to Stoke. I have said many times I much prefer being in the championship and I will stick buy that.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Barefoot Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barefoot Wanderer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:There is a lot of talk of Dougie outers and supporters. There is a fairly large (IMO) 3rd camp, that admittedly is diminishing in favour of the outers. The 3rd camp is the 'Don't think Dougie is doing a great job, but are fearful of the merry-go-round' camp.

I'll get this in early; I didn't think appointing Dougie was a good decision. In fact I thought it was a poor one, but figured we need to get behind someone and stick with them.

I'm now of the opinion that Dougie needs to go unless there is a sudden and radical sustained transformation. Do I believe that will happen (the transformation)? No. The issue I have is that before we dispense with the services of yet another poor/average manager, we need to have a proper decent one lined up. Unless there is a good candidate we will end up with another Johnny Come Lately, who will tinker around with staff and players, costing a good few million quid and a result fairly close to what we have now. The cycle repeats over the decades until we get lucky and stumble upon an Allardyce or Rioch. Meanwhile Uncle Eddie can't last forever and the underwriting of the mess dries up. I firmly believe the decision on firing of Dougie and hiring the next guy will dictate if we have any hope of not joining the likes of Coventry.

With Dougie we're just going to stumble around the Championship for the next few seasons. Lets get rid, but wait until we have the right replacement available, even if that means waiting months.
Sam Allardyce will be looking for a new club soon.

Barefoot Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barefoot Wanderer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:42 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

I was gutted city didn't beat QPR for us (when there was only 89mins on the clock) then Ream had one kicked off the line and I'm thinking to myself well, at least united have won the league and not city. So I was double gutted that day.

:evil:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Barefoot Wanderer wrote:

Sam Allardyce will be looking for a new club soon.
aye - and he's doing a great job at west ham...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

anyway - it'll be reet - you're all being panic-fannies! :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Come on statto's, where is he up to in the "shittest manager we've had in an age" stakes? Not quite Roy McFarland, but surely past Coyle and (bloody hell, can't believe it myself) Megson?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 pm

He's currently level pegging with Sammy Lee in the positives...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Well, we aren't a division lower than we were when he started, so I don't see how he can be worse than Coyle! Meggo levels of sidewaysness.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:16 pm

We're lower than when he took over from Coyle, aren't we?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

I think so, but not by much.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:29 pm

14 months to get lower (but by not much) still ranks as a downward trajectory to me.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:49 pm

We're arguing over shades of shitness. The shysters have all been really shit since Sam. Putting them into order serves no purpose.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 pm

thebish wrote:anyway - it'll be reet - you're all being panic-fannies! :D
Panic-fannies!!
How dare you sir!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:25 pm

TKIZ! wrote:

Very eloquently put, sir. That's what I was trying to say and I would add myself to that 3rd group
Isn't it a question of making a decision though - the inners and outers have made a clear call. The wait & see brigade (of which I was one till about October) have also effectively made a decision to keep him, however reticent you are in doing that.

For the inners, its all then about a decision of where you are drawing the line as acceptable performance - position end of season, next christmas ? ? To me its a cop out if you don't have something like that in mind. Thats why I was wondering whats in the mind of Eddie & PG & forum members. Sure you can take into account circumstance when you are judging what target you've previously set - key injuries etc, but I don't see many valid excuses kicking around for dougie

the manager one is an interesting one - strikes me the world of football has lost respect for manager. Rich owners, directors of football, mega rich players, supporters, all can basically blame the manager and get away with it. Are there any club managers who are universally loved at their clubs ? I don't disagree that someone needs to be targeted as a replacement, but if the 'dougie out' criteria really is having the right replacement - that in itself is will be the source of a million opinions as to whats right. At the end of the day it will be a gamble, as dougie was. Unfair as it is, they only have a short time to show signs of progress. Some you win and some you lose.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:51 pm

I'd say as soon as Malky Mackay gets the boot thanks Dougie for his efforts and get on the phone. A bit like QPR ditching Hughes for Redknapp last year for fear of missing out.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:anyway - it'll be reet - you're all being panic-fannies! :D
Panic-fannies!!
How dare you sir!
there's no other word for it - I had to invent a compound-word specially for the occasion...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:56 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:Isn't it a question of making a decision though - the inners and outers have made a clear call. The wait & see brigade (of which I was one till about October) have also effectively made a decision to keep him, however reticent you are in doing that.
Well, that's me from the comfort of the armchair. Not so much "wait and see" as "it's not my money so I wonder how long it'll take for him to go".

Was thinking earlier that LSL wasn't in charge for very long, someone was fairly quick to show him the door. Megson seemed to take ages and Coyle took far too long. So we generally have a club that let's managers prove they've lost it before getting rid. I think it may be down to not having too much cash to splash, and maybe both chairman and owner being fans.

I've stopped caring much about other teams playing football but watched a FLS today. The thing that jumped out at me was the number of household names other teams in the league have that people like me recognize from the EPL. It's hard for me to look at our team and say which players I'd know of if I didn't follow Bolton but Spearing, Beckford, Eagles and LCY is my guess (...Ngog too). I'd say there have probably been games where 3 out of those 4 have been missing/under-performing.

When he wasn't doing what was required Dougie dropped Eagles, then he came back a much more motivated player it seems. So, I'm not sure what else he can do man-management-wise. Beckford is a mystery but maybe he'll come back doing more of whatever Dougie wants from him.

On the one hand I'm disappointed and hate spending money to watch some of the rubbish I've seen. And on the other hand maybe Dougie needs time to strip out the players who aren't up for it and bring in a squad of Danns(s).
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.