PLYMOUTH'S stupendously all singing dancing transfer thread!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Re: PLYMOUTH'S stupendously all singing dancing transfer thr

Post by wigan white » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:51 pm

LeverEnd wrote:See this is the sort of signing we need, another one quite understandably goes elsewhere. Shame.

LOAN DEAL
Billy Sharp joins Championship side Reading on an emergency loan deal from Southampton. The striker moves to the Madejski Stadium on a temporary basis having been left out of Saints' first team squad for the 2013-14 season.
Yep, definitely a player I thought we should have gone for on loan.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:54 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:It's depressing to read other fans viewing us as a laughing stock. No more money should be spent, be it loans, free transfers or whatever. Giving Freedman money for anything other than a bus fare back to Scotland is money down the drain.
this might sound mad - but I think I'll wait a bit and see just how freedman's loan army performs before totally writing them off as a waste of money...
He'll be 4th choice? 5th, maybe?
how on earth do you know that??
His best position is central midfield and he won't start ahead of Medo, Ream, Spearing or Pratley because he's not as good as any of them.
how on earth do you know that dougie agrees with your assessment?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

valid point bish but surely it will cast further doubts over DF, if he starts a loanee over 2 guys he's signed, one who he's recently put into m/f which resulted in a few recent MOM performances, and a guy who seems to have won over fans for his honest endeavour. Especially since he's said he didnt like using/developing loanees.

Of course if it works great - but it all seems a bit haphazard/ desparate

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:32 pm

My understanding is Danns is a different sort of midfielder to Spearing and Medo. I imagine he's been brought in to play further up the pitch, maybe in the Mark Davies role.
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Jack Butland has gone to Barnsley on loan from Stoke ;opportunity missed by Dougie methinks ..??????????????

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:valid point bish but surely it will cast further doubts over DF, if he starts a loanee over 2 guys he's signed, one who he's recently put into m/f which resulted in a few recent MOM performances, and a guy who seems to have won over fans for his honest endeavour. Especially since he's said he didnt like using/developing loanees.

I have a feeling he's going to put Ream in the Back Four to replace Wheater against Yeovil, and put Spearing/Medo in Centre mid, with Danns infront of them.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Jack Butland has gone to Barnsley on loan from Stoke ;opportunity missed by Dougie methinks ..??????????????
We've got Lonergan, who I personally think needs to be in infront of Bogdan, so money on another keeper is a bit wasted at the minute as we need to spend it on more pressing areas.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Both very similar and interchangeable. Good shot stoppers (what keeper isn't though?) but that's about it. Wouldn't mind seeing a new keeper if we do end up getting promoted, but it's far from a concern at the moment.
I just feel that Lonergan commands his area better than Bogdan and in the games he played last season the defence seemed more confident with him behind them. Also think he doesnt have as many mistakes in him as Bogdan does.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 pm

wigan white wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:valid point bish but surely it will cast further doubts over DF, if he starts a loanee over 2 guys he's signed, one who he's recently put into m/f which resulted in a few recent MOM performances, and a guy who seems to have won over fans for his honest endeavour. Especially since he's said he didnt like using/developing loanees.

I have a feeling he's going to put Ream in the Back Four to replace Wheater against Yeovil, and put Spearing/Medo in Centre mid, with Danns infront of them.
Hope so. Ream deserves another go in his proper position. We need him to be a good CH, not a def midfielder. The reality might be different however, but home to a Yeovil side that's scored 3 all season is as good a time as any to make that change. How much worse can it be?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:29 pm

West Brom have just posted this on their YouTube channel ae:)

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Freedman: "Neil Danns is a wonderful character. He's got great athleticism and has a goal in him. He's the kind of player we need right now."

Signing players because they're good blokes – we've been there before!

Still, I'm reserving judgement...

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:18 pm

thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote: His best position is central midfield and he won't start ahead of Medo, Ream, Spearing or Pratley because he's not as good as any of them.
I don't, which is why I put a question mark after what I said. Freedman could have brought him in to replace Bogdan for all I know. I've seen him play and he's not good enough to break into our starting 11 in his strongest position though.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I have noticed that there is some differing opinions that he is more of an attacking midfielder than a defensive midfielder
I don't care what sort of midfielder he is ... until we sort out centre-half we don't need any more midfielders ffs.

He persuaded ED to loosen the purse to bring in Moritz, who seems a tidy attacking midfielder. He was, apparently so unfit after missing pre-season that he didn't pick him for half a dozen games and is now injured. Pratley, while no footballing God, can play that role. Eagles maybe also. Not that he selects people to play there anyway and this has 'bench warming' written all over it.

But, first, last and everything in between we need a thoughtful, capable, quick moving centre half .... two preferably.

Someone above says that they want Dougie to succeed but he makes it very difficult to support him when he does things like this and he's spot on.
Lets get this straight at least. He didn't persuade ED to loosen anything. The Moritz move was blocked and only re-established once he managed to shift Sordell out creating the space for the wages (which are reportedly very low).
... and that makes my point that we need a centre half before any other position incorrect how ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:54 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote: His best position is central midfield and he won't start ahead of Medo, Ream, Spearing or Pratley because he's not as good as any of them.
I don't, which is why I put a question mark after what I said. Freedman could have brought him in to replace Bogdan for all I know. I've seen him play and he's not good enough to break into our starting 11 in his strongest position though.
no - I quoted what you said - no question mark - you said he WON'T start ahead of Medo, Ream, Spearing or Pratley because he is not as good as any of them{full stop}

how do you know dougie agrees with your assessment or with your understanding of the position he's been brought in to fill?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:39 pm

meanwhile...

sordell sets the world alight at charlton... not.
"News Shopper, London 16:41"CHRIS Powell believes there is a lot more to come from on-loan Bolton striker Marvin Sordell after a tricky start to life in SE7.

Sordell joined the Addicks for a year from their Championship rivals but after starting the opening two games against Bournemouth and Middlesbrough was dropped to the bench before returning to the starting XI for the 3-2 defeat at Huddersfield last Tuesday.

The 22-year-old was forced to settle for a substitute role in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Millwall but did at least provide a few signs he could be in contention to start again at Burnley this weekend, especially if Yann Kermorgant fails to recover in time for the Turf Moor trip.

Powell understandably refused to speculate on Sordell’s chances of kicking off the game at the Clarets, but pointed out he remains a big part of his long-term plans.

The manager said: “He is in the squad, we haven’t decided on regards to what we are doing yet.

“We’ve worked on some stuff today with all the players.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:41 pm

is ricardo still knocking about the club somewhere? he could still do a job... :-)

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:53 pm

I have seen Bogdan and Lonergan and neither inspire confidence. IMO we would be a better team with a half decent keeper.The facts are there that ;(we can score) goals.But ship far too many with Boggers at fault.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 pm

jonnycooper wrote:I have seen Bogdan and Lonergan and neither inspire confidence. IMO we would be a better team with a half decent keeper.The facts are there that ;(we can score) goals.But ship far too many with Boggers at fault.

hmmmm... 6 goals in 8 league games (and one of those an own goal)? only yeovil have scored fewer than us - and I am sure that'll be rectified on saturday! :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

jonnycooper wrote:I have seen Bogdan and Lonergan and neither inspire confidence. IMO we would be a better team with a half decent keeper.The facts are there that ;(we can score) goals.But ship far too many with Boggers at fault.
Boggers is the least of our problems at the moment. If you made a list of all the problems it would probably come somewhere between missing pens and ink for Garty's fax machine.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:12 pm

It isn't bloody difficult ; Centre-halves that can be trusted >> leaving our midfield looking forward instead of being flooded by players there to cover the c-h's >> allowing the forwards to get some service.

All roads lead to the centre-half positions.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".