PLYMOUTH'S stupendously all singing dancing transfer thread!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PLYMOUTH'S stupendously all singing dancing transfer thr

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

I like having Cravies around and his energy appeals - he can be a good sub or starter, nobody other striker quite puts in the effort he does. I'm also concerned that we haven't got many options up top, although we presumably have loanees in mind and you can't make clear-the-deadwood omelette without breaking a few eggs. Or something.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I like having Cravies around and his energy appeals - he can be a good sub or starter, nobody other striker quite puts in the effort he does. I'm also concerned that we haven't got many options up top, although we presumably have loanees in mind and you can't make clear-the-deadwood omelette without breaking a few eggs. Or something.
I get the impression there is a problem with Cravies but it is not on the pitch.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 pm

jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:If this is right and it all comes off then its very strange and for me confirms that Duggie has lost the plot.

We let go our own handy striker who is replaced by a lump who cannot score and bring in a lightweight player who didn't fit in when he was here.

Barking mad he is.

hmmmm... but cravies isn't exactly devastating for us - didn't show much at QPR... Mason is a puzzle - but surely beckford can't be far off coming back - so then we'd have this new unpronouncable bloke (who looked OK to me on Tuesday - had more impact than Cravies did) and beckford and Odelusi...

i'd not lose that much sleep over cravies leaving - i don't think he's really the one to build our future on...
loan players aren't for building the future on either.

he hasn't really had a chance this season

last year at home against Burnley he turned the game in our favour
i agree - wouldn't build the future on mason - but, we have beckford, and his strike-rate has been impressive compared with all the strikers we've had in recent years... you may be right - cravies hasn't had a run - and maybe he'd become more impressive, I just don't see it myself... the new loanee from boro looked more impressive on tuesday, and he'd only just got off the bus with his overnight bag...

I'd rather play out the rest of the season with a loanee from another club if he has more impact rather than play our own less impactful striker just to make a point...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Am I confusing myself. Wasn't Cravies Deadeye Dougie's first ever permanent signing for us. WTFs he doing buying players just to loan them out a year later?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm

that goes against developing other teams players though...

anyway what will be, will be

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Am I confusing myself. Wasn't Cravies Deadeye Dougie's first ever permanent signing for us. WTFs he doing buying players just to loan them out a year later?
yep, £300k spunked for nowt :conf:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

I'd keep Cravies over Mason any day of the week. He's nothing special, but tough Championship grafter trumps lightweight headless chicken every time for me. I'm sure there's more to |mason than that really but that was all I saw when I watched him play. Probably not his fault, not surprised he struggled in this team.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 pm

He's never really stayed anywhere for a particularly long time. Strange, ultimately forgettable signing if he goes.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

jaffka wrote:that goes against developing other teams players though...

yeah - it does - but if he lets Cravies go - then I'd conclude that for whatever reason (on or off pitch) dougie doesn't think Cravies is worth the investment of time and effort for what he might turn into... i'd rather a manager made an honest assessment of what he thinks a player can do rather than keep him over other options (like an occasional loan) just to make a point... flexibility in these matters is probably a good thing to have!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 pm

thebish wrote:

yeah - it does - but if he lets Cravies go - then I'd conclude that for whatever reason (on or off pitch) dougie doesn't think Cravies is worth the investment of time and effort for what he might turn into... i'd rather a manager made an honest assessment of what he thinks a player can do rather than keep him over other options (like an occasional loan) just to make a point... flexibility in these matters is probably a good thing to have!
so you mean that Duggie thinks that he made a bad signing and wasted the money then

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:01 pm

jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

so you mean that Duggie thinks that he made a bad signing and wasted the money then
aye - you could call it that... all managers make signings that don't work out as they hope... dougie's no different... and - in the grand scheme of things, whilst 300k IS money - it's not an out of the park disastrous amount of money to take a bit of a punt with...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't want him taking a bit of a punt, I want him making sound astute financially viable miraculous signings!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 pm

And on that note tomorrow will be two years to the day of the signing of the original saviour Marvin Sordell!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 pm

allegedly FOUR clubs are sniffing after Mason... is there summat we haven't seen??? :conf:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

aye - you could call it that... all managers make signings that don't work out as they hope... dougie's no different... and - in the grand scheme of things, whilst 300k IS money - it's not an out of the park disastrous amount of money to take a bit of a punt with...
there is no calling it, if he signed him last year and getting rid now, he made a bad signing. simple really

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

thebish wrote:allegedly FOUR clubs are sniffing after Mason... is there summat we haven't seen??? :conf:
he did ok in a 2 up top, on his own, he is lost

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:09 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:
thebish wrote:

IIRC, Dougie said that it was a bit of a gamble with Cravies when he signed him and that £300k want too much to lose if it didnt work out. I'm guessing the rumours about Cravies' off-field antics :drink: maybe playing a major factor.
According to Iles, Dougie said he wished he had good news for the fans, but its not sounding good. Dark times ahead methinks :cry:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 pm

jaffka wrote:
there is no calling it, if he signed him last year and getting rid now, he made a bad signing. simple really
punt... signing that didn't come off... mistake.. potayto/potahhto - who cares? It happens to all managers with big and small amounts... dougie ain't no different... let's just be happy that in the grand scheme of things it was a relatively small amount...

which manager never made a signing that didn't really come off? i can't think of one... better to cut your losses and move on when you realise it, I'd say...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 pm

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:
punt... signing that didn't come off... mistake.. potayto/potahhto - who cares? It happens to all managers with big and small amounts... dougie ain't no different... let's just be happy that in the grand scheme of things it was a relatively small amount...

which manager never made a signing that didn't really come off? i can't think of one... better to cut your losses and move on when you realise it, I'd say...
what are you going on about?

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm

The local newshound re Trotter has said that your offer was

a) dependent upon you shifting a player(s) off the wage bill

and

b) that your offer was "laughed off" by the Millwall board

They are waiting on whether you will up your bid.