We're going to visit the queen

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: We're going to visit the queen

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Clyde1998 wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Clyde1998 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Now then, Clyde. Step carefully, there will be some who want all visitors banned, regardless of previous good behaviour, but answer this: what was your view of the game? Did 7-1 flatter you? Do we look a side in trouble? That sort of thing.
It seemed a one-off game. You had a chance in the first half that got saved (it was a good save as well), but had it gone in the game would have been very different. We were just clinical today. 7-1 maybe flattered us, but I think that Bolton just had an off game. Your side should be able to survive and reach a safe mid-table position by the end of the season. Our performance came out of nowhere and we won't play like that again all season.

Maybe the "Matt Mills banter" would have inspired our players to score as many as we could against him - considering how he treated our fans to a "two finger salute" when he played for us.
Maybe its a performance that has just been waiting to happen. Its what I and maybe others have been waiting for bwfc to deliver, they just never really have.
We haven't been convincing in a win since we beat West Ham 4-2 a couple of seasons ago.

You have a few injuries don't you - maybe that isn't helping you?

We have a crap manager - maybe that isn't helping us !
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:52 pm

BBC quotes...

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman:
"Not too many players stood up for the jersey.
"I don't want many days like that and I certainly wasn't prepared for a half-time speech like that. It had to come from the heart. I told the players to play for their pride and their place in the team but I didn't see too many players who wanted that.
"I'm not going to stick up for anyone today. It was just embarrassing."

The board should be asking why they have this mentality, leadership being the key focus.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

The ad hoc selection policy doesn't help.

The press interviews confuse the fans, who knows what his private talks with the players do?

Public slating of players, followed by no action.

Perseverance with tactics that clearly don't work.

Everything is great here, I just have to keep waiting for that 'tatering' of the opposition.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:56 pm

LeverEnd wrote:BBC quotes...

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman:
"Not too many players stood up for the jersey.
"I don't want many days like that and I certainly wasn't prepared for a half-time speech like that. It had to come from the heart. I told the players to play for their pride and their place in the team but I didn't see too many players who wanted that.
"I'm not going to stick up for anyone today. It was just embarrassing."

The board should be asking why they have this mentality, leadership being the key focus.
When you have been humiliated, like us, before half time, the usual team talk is to win the second half and prove a point. We also lost the second half. The players don't respond to him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Entirely agree. He doesn't though, you can bet your house on that.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:42 pm

The number is irrelevant really... the main thing is that there were no redeeming qualities in our processes whatsoever.

Today felt like it may be a watershed moment.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I didn't go, so I await the verdicts of those who did (not that I'm saying others shouldn't have an opinion).

Just to note that according to the BBC, Reading had 8 shots on target (to our 2). Not a day for goalkeepers, and no matter how well Lonners may have played, you'd suspect he'd be in the cull surely required after a result like this.
I'd have to see them again, but it didn't look like any of the goals were his fault. I do actually remember him making a good save.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Feels like Coyle's Stoke semi. Just less public. This could be the catastrophic score line that relegates us.

7. Seven. I just... SEVEN
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Couple of questions...

1. Was it a penalty? Didn't look like deliberate handball or inside the area to me.

2. What did the home fans do to attract the attention of the Capslock delegation in the first half?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Crayons,

We had majority possession, the same number of corners... And just about everything they hit went in. Is it possible that this was a freak result, a 2-0 with thrombosis?

(I'm not saying all is perfect and we will be fine, or that DF is a genius... But after some improved showings recently v Blackpool and Forest, there's something very weird about today...)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Like match fixing?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Crayons,

We had majority possession, the same number of corners... And just about everything they hit went in. Is it possible that this was a freak result, a 2-0 with thrombosis?

(I'm not saying all is perfect and we will be fine, or that DF is a genius... But after some improved showings recently v Blackpool and Forest, there's something very weird about today...)
It really wasn't like that. They killed us off by going through us like a knife through butter and having very clear cut chances.

Sure - it wasn't like they dominated possession and made sustained pressure tell. No - they were just an ordinary side who scored at will, which is actually even more terrifying.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jaffka wrote:Visitors from other clubs who are ok and make good points should be allowed to post, regardless of how shite we are/have done.

Not wanting to hear the view of others, to me, shows how soft football is.
Again, I agree with the swivel-badged one. The Royals on TW before the game seemed decent sorts. We could learn something.

Of course, if they come the c*nt, then by all means fire, Zulu...
That's my take on it too DSB. I'll never bullet an opposing fan if they are constructive and add to the debate, as Clyde 1998 does. However anyone taking the piss will be be removed with extreme prejudice. :evil:

Especially this weekend.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 pm

It probably was 'one of those days'... The team was just completely disjointed, like they had never played together before (which is why I compared them to a school team as it had that feeling of kids just kicking the ball about the field with no sense of structure or teamwork).

We played a ridiculously high line at times and because our back line has the pace of a funeral march driving through tar, we were caught out any time Le Fondre was ready to dash off Knight's shoulder. I forgot Mark Davies was playing until about 40 minutes in, Spearing looked sluggish and overworked, Ream was static and didn't give any support going forward, but the absolute worst player on the pitch was N'Gog. I have never seen a player which somehow manages to mentally apply a top speed that is slower than he can actually run, nor have I seen a player so flakey in attack as him. The chap at Liverpool who coaxed 4m out of even Owen Coyle for him is a genius. He'd have the same goal ratio at Sunday League level, because he seems to inherently align himself to the most lazy player in the league he's playing. Some wheezy 45 year old on Haslam Park could outrun, outthink and outscore this complete waste of a human being.

I wasn't even annoyed by the end, because at least I know now I will never see a professional team play worse than that. Guaranteed.

I am now also of the opinion that it's time for Dougie to go. Some of our players may be awful, but a decent manager would either make sure they never play for us again or organize them to be the best they can be, and Dougie is doing neither.

One last thing.. Lots of fans calling for 442 today... We'd have let double digits in if we were a man short in midfield today. We were overrun by their own flat 4, so how do they think we'd do with a man less!?!
Last edited by danardif1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daib0
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by daib0 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 pm

sorry, we're not Reading pricks, but I honestly don't know what to say. Certainly didn't see anything like this happening, check our predictions thread if you don't believe me. In points in the table it's the same 1-0 as 7-1, so doesn't actually mean that much. Just a lucky day. I hope you'll allow me to post again ...
'Royals Rendezvous' - a friendly Reading forum

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm

daib0 wrote:sorry, we're not Reading pricks, but I honestly don't know what to say. Certainly didn't see anything like this happening, check our predictions thread if you don't believe me. In points in the table it's the same 1-0 as 7-1, so doesn't actually mean that much. Just a lucky day. I hope you'll allow me to post again ...
No problem with you.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 pm

daib0 wrote:sorry, we're not Reading pricks, but I honestly don't know what to say. Certainly didn't see anything like this happening, check our predictions thread if you don't believe me. In points in the table it's the same 1-0 as 7-1, so doesn't actually mean that much. Just a lucky day. I hope you'll allow me to post again ...
We've had a lot of experience over the past couple of years with dick-heads coming on here to mock and poke fun at our rapid decline. While it might be fun from an outside perspective, it's pretty heart-wrenching in the inner-circle.

All we want is some sympathy...(and a new man in charge)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:24 pm

And some biscuits. Bring biscuits.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Tripod2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tripod2 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi I used to post on here as Tripod just forgot my password. Anyway I happened to be working in Berkshire this weekend and was unlucky enough to catch the game. Never in 22 years of watching the wanderers have I seen such a gutless, spineless not-give-a-fcuk performance. I'm unsure what the future of our club is but Freedman shouldn't be part of it, the man's clueless.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 pm

7-1 thriller and we're still not on the FLS first. The BBC must really hate Reading.
Businesswoman of the year.