U21s v Villa

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

U21s v Villa

Post by Riviman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 pm

U21s beat Villa tonight 3-2, goals from Bolger and 2 from Zach Clough. Tried hard to give it away, 3 up with 10 mins left 2 quick goals and then hanging on. Lee-Barrett played well in goal. Clough took his goals well, Stefan Popescu had a decent game at left back, Kellett played in mid field until Popescu subbed with about 10 mins to go. MoM for me,Lee-Barrett with a number of outstanding saves, Bolger also did well and scored a great headed goal from a corner.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: U21s v Villa

Post by Riviman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s/10967061._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bolton News report

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks Riviman. I remember thinking Bolger did ok in pre-season but it doesn't seem like he's anywhere near the squad.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Thanks Riviman. I remember thinking Bolger did ok in pre-season but it doesn't seem like he's anywhere near the squad.
Agreed, I expected him to get some games this season, 2 scouts were sat behind me and they were singing his praises as well as Clough Youngs and the keeper, although I thought Youngs didn't have one of his better games.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 am

The hope may well be to get Bolger in the first XI next year. The run-up for that might involve a League One loan, like he had at Colchester late last year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 am

Marc Iles views on last night (and which youngsters might make it) from his "live transfer blog" on the BN site...
I thought Clough, Wilkinson and Youngs were lively last night.

Clough and Youngs have got good footballing brains, quick feet and their movement is good - I just wonder whether their size counts against them in the modern game?

Wilkinson has the tools to be the complete package, for me. But all three of them need to get out on loan and get some League One/Two football - get kicked around a little bit to see if they can really make it.
And the bits I've seen of them I'd agree with his assessment. There is promise but until they are road tested (and IMO we are in no position to be doing that now) we don't really know about any of them. Need a decent loan for them to really see how they do.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

We had a chance on Saturday to "road test" them. Not one was even on the bench.

How does that work then ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm

The better kids will get a chance, but they are looking at next season

Now, it might be that us lot on here know better than blokes who work with them every day, but I doubt it

Kellett should've gone to Chester with the other two but was injured for 10 weeks

Think last week was his first game back
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:We had a chance on Saturday to "road test" them. Not one was even on the bench.

How does that work then ?
They need a proper run of games somewhere not a few minutes here or there.

Need to be accostomed to the physicality and pressures of first team football, and I don't think we have the luxury of doing that right now. Plus if we loan a few out now we can monitor them and always include them in games here towards the end of the season should we avoid getting sucked any further into a relegation fight.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Marc Iles views on last night (and which youngsters might make it) from his "live transfer blog" on the BN site...
I thought Clough, Wilkinson and Youngs were lively last night.

Clough and Youngs have got good footballing brains, quick feet and their movement is good - I just wonder whether their size counts against them in the modern game?

Wilkinson has the tools to be the complete package, for me. But all three of them need to get out on loan and get some League One/Two football - get kicked around a little bit to see if they can really make it.
And the bits I've seen of them I'd agree with his assessment. There is promise but until they are road tested (and IMO we are in no position to be doing that now) we don't really know about any of them. Need a decent loan for them to really see how they do.
Our current shitters are road tested.. Guess what..?

We've been through this. If Dougie chucks them all in next week (not that he would), you'd change your mind and tell us he was doing the right thing.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

http://mobile.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/u ... 2000000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Offical site report.

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Your U21s are playing Spurs U21s today.

Bolton U21s: Lynch, Threlkeld, Kellet, White, Bolger, Vela, Odelusi, Woodland, Clough, Youngs, Hall.

Bolton U21s subs: Holding, Lester, Iliev, Maher, Campbell (GK)

5 mins in & 0-0

Bolton having the better of the early chances.
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but i think that God's got a sick sense of humour and when i die i expect to find him laughing

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Break in play. Bolton's keeper is down and about to be substituted. Even game so far, McEvoy and Kane looking dangerous. 0-0, 18mins
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but i think that God's got a sick sense of humour and when i die i expect to find him laughing

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Keep it coming please lads. I'd love Youngs to score. Well impressed with that lad.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm

We're currently 2-0 down, TD.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Little Green Man wrote:We're currently 2-0 down, TD.
:(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:34 pm

GOAL - Bolton. Youngs converts from the penalty spot after Ball's foul in the box. Spurs 2 Bolton 1, 67 mins

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:34 pm

GOAL - Bolton. Lester heads home from close range. 2-2, 75 mins

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:35 pm

GOAL - Bolton. Lester capitalises on a defensive slip for Iliev to bundle home from close range. Spurs 2 Bolton 3, 79 mins

TTID
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TTID » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 pm

GOAL - Bolton. Iliev bursts through the Spurs defence and fires past Archer. Spurs 2 Bolton 4, 81 mins