The Macron Stadium

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

The Macron Stadium

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

Is where we will be playing our home matches as of next season....

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/club ... 07087.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The Macron Stadium

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Is where we will be playing our home matches as of next season....

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/club ... 07087.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh. Right.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Is where we will be playing our home matches as of next season....

Well ... adios Reebok and thanks.

Thanks for the decades of support and the fact that our ground, a sporting stadium, was named after a sporting business. Hopefully that will continue.

A shame, after all this time and given the historical links of Reebok as a century old business which began in Bolton but things move on.

I suspect the ground will continue to be thought of as the 'bok for many ears .. a bit like I still think of the longer form cricket knock-out cup as The Gillette Cup.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 am

bobo the clown wrote:

Thanks for the decades of support and the fact that our ground, a sporting stadium, was named after a sporting business. Hopefully that will continue.

A shame, after all this time and given the historical links of Reebok as a century old business which began in Bolton but things move on.

I suspect the ground will continue to be thought of as the 'bok for many ears .. a bit like I still think of the longer form cricket knock-out cup as The Gillette Cup.
I mean the Reebok thing was only a matter of time once they were bought by Adidas.

I don't think many will call it The Macron though.....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I mean the Reebok thing was only a matter of time once they were bought by Adidas.

Sounds...... Cheesy?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Attachments
mekon.jpg
mekon.jpg (90.63 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

^^ I'd at least want an elephant on there with that Andy !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:50 am

Quite a strong negative reaction on social media. It's not THAT big of a deal.

I mean Leicester, Derby and Wigan have all done it recently and its not turned out bad for them eh?

I'm just happy somebody is willing to invest, fair play to whoever secured the deal I say.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 am

mcflykyle182 wrote:Quite a strong negative reaction on social media. It's not THAT big of a deal.

I mean Leicester, Derby and Wigan have all done it recently and its not turned out bad for them eh?

I'm just happy somebody is willing to invest, fair play to whoever secured the deal I say.
That's social meeja for ya.

Especially after the successful campaign against the first sponsorship deal. Does anyone have a constructive alternative ? (which, I know, isn't what social media campaigns are about).

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

Feckin idiots on social media moaning. The Bok has been a big advertising machine since its birth. If we had renamed Burnden then fair enough. I honestly feel we have the worst fans in football sometimes. All Bolton fans ever do is feckin moan! I understand some things being moaned at but we moan any chance we get!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 am

Suppose the club got into a tough spot now that the Reebok brand is barely involved in football anymore and Adidas presumably think there's little point in associating with losers. Could have maybe kept it as Reebok for no money or name it something like this for money. I think common preference would be to keep the name it's had for all of its 17 years but we lose dozens of £m a year these days.

That said this takes us on a path of changing every few years which is a sad but reflective state of the modern game blah blah etc
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

Adidas pulled out of sponsorship.

We have lost half the parachute money for next season.

Gate income is reducing.

We have a debt in excess of £100M and need to reduce losses massively to comply with FFP.

What on earth do these morons think the club will do? Write off sponsorship money for the stadium naming rights for a laugh?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 am

A kit is a kit and they are changing the name of the stadium from a another brand name.

As far as I am aware they aren't associated with anything untoward or scandal.

Nothing to see here for me.

Well done to whoever secured the deal.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 am

jaffka wrote:A kit is a kit and they are changing the name of the stadium from a another brand name.

Here here !!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am

sh*t name but whatever helps pay the bills i guess

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

Riviman wrote:
jaffka wrote:A kit is a kit and they are changing the name of the stadium from a another brand name.

Here here !!
And here.

I struggle to believe the mentality of some.

It appeareth to me that the Reebok Roar will now be known as the Macron Moan.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 am

I've no problem with the change. The name might be a little less prestigious than Reebok but at least it is a sporting name. Certainly better than Quick Quid and Bet188 or whoever...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Riviman wrote:

Here here !!
And here.

I struggle to believe the mentality of some.

It appeareth to me that the Reebok Roar will now be known as the Macron Moan.
And still it will be as quiet as a whisper unless the referee does something unpopular.....
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

While all points about Adidas & the money are correct it is also not necessary to 100% dismiss any form of romance/identity/whatever in this.

I did think that Reebok at least was a local sports company made good and it was more of a 'partnership' than having the ground named after a tin of bins invented in Germany, so it's OK to be sad that's where we're going (in four years maybe) imo.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Might just be me but I generally refer to buildings by their original names anyway, like Valley Parade, Landsdowne Road and The Nynex regardless of what they've had done to them.
May the bridges I burn light your way