Freedman on Summer Recruitment (And past mistake)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman on Summer Recruitment (And past mistake)

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 03, 2014 7:01 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:With a lot of the fans still thinking we should be pushing for Europe Dougie is having to downplay everything. When Tony Livesey asked him about hanging onto some of the players we have on loan he went off about not having money... then they signed Danns the next day. He's managing expectations more than anything.

And his style in interviews is sometimes jumping about from tangent to tangent so when you put it on a page there should maybe be more paragraphs than there often are. I think that causes a fair bit of the confusion.
I think its just he's a prick myself.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 03, 2014 10:01 am

↑↑↑↑

Ah. The voice of reason.

Bravo Hobes.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue May 06, 2014 11:39 am

I've just read his 'swipe' at the players he's booted.

Blaming them for not scoring enough? Well he's obviously talking about Eagles because Zat's outshone himself this year up front.

If that's his critera then Knight should be doubling his money right now.

Feel a bit sorry for the two. Knight was the fans focus for everything that was going wrong but when I saw him play this year he was always a contender for MotM. Yes he cost us a couple of important goals but which defender doesn't? He did well to battle on and never shirked his role - which is something DF is accusing his departees of.

Jay Lynch? As a local lad I would have like to have seen him given a chance. Perhaps fell foul of Dougies preference to bring in loanees from London rather than lads brought up in the club. Can't really give an opinion on him.

Eagles - Never won a tackle, often drifted from games and sometimes just ran about a bit but when he was on his game he was a genuine match winner. He never fitted in with DF's style of play though and it's probably for the best that he goes. Not that I'm happy about that. I would like to have seen a midfield with Eagles and Davies in it but we all know that'll never happen - even if they were both fully fit.

The goals thing though. Hard to score when you're not being played.

He's kept Beckford.

Once again Dougie ties himself in knots with his double-speak.

Mears? I agree. Off you go son.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue May 06, 2014 11:56 am

Jay's main problem at this level is his size he's only relatively small, like Hoppy was but without his skill.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 06, 2014 12:05 pm

His main problem was that he was struggling with recurring injuries and we've got young Jaaskelainen coming through the ranks
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 06, 2014 12:17 pm

coffeymagic wrote:I've just read his 'swipe' at the players he's booted.

Blaming them for not scoring enough? Well he's obviously talking about Eagles because Zat's outshone himself this year up front.

If that's his critera then Knight should be doubling his money right now.

Feel a bit sorry for the two. Knight was the fans focus for everything that was going wrong but when I saw him play this year he was always a contender for MotM. Yes he cost us a couple of important goals but which defender doesn't? He did well to battle on and never shirked his role - which is something DF is accusing his departees of.

Jay Lynch? As a local lad I would have like to have seen him given a chance. Perhaps fell foul of Dougies preference to bring in loanees from London rather than lads brought up in the club. Can't really give an opinion on him.

Eagles - Never won a tackle, often drifted from games and sometimes just ran about a bit but when he was on his game he was a genuine match winner. He never fitted in with DF's style of play though and it's probably for the best that he goes. Not that I'm happy about that. I would like to have seen a midfield with Eagles and Davies in it but we all know that'll never happen - even if they were both fully fit.

He's kept Beckford.

Mears? I agree. Off you go son.
Beckford is under contract...

I agree though, don't like what Dougie said. I mean he's right, it is blatantly obvious that Eagles, Knight and Mears were paid far in excess what they were worth to the football club in terms of output. Absolutely right. But it doesn't need saying. It sets him up for criticism and should just be left unsaid. We all know certain players attitudes were appalling. No need for Dougie however frustrated he is to draw further attention to it. It has happened, move on, bring the ones who have the right attitude in.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 06, 2014 2:35 pm

coffeymagic wrote:

He's kept Beckford.

Beckford's contract isn't up, is it? Unless I am mistaken, we signed him on a 2 year contract - so he wouldn't be included with those whose contracts are up...

how is keeping Beckford "double speak"? we can't simply release him...

this doesn't mean we wouldn't sell him if we got an offer.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue May 06, 2014 2:42 pm

I took it as his dig at underperforming players was aimed at Eagles and Mears.

Whereas those subject to club cutbacks were Knight and Lynch

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
For me, it's been mainly about his disconcerting use of English right from the off, when he was seeking sanctuary up north with his kids. I've never wavered in my opinion that there is a secret esoteric hidden Dan Brown-like code in his every utterence, if only I could find the key to it.
it may make me a bad person - but in my mind, people who reference Dan Brown in support of anything at all rapidly lose whatever credibility they had in the first place! :wink:
:(
Worry not Spotski. Exceedingly clever bloke, that Dan Brown. Wrote a controversial and highly entertaining fantasia by finding a bunch of answers and writing a novel around the questions. Like all religious topics, neither provable nor disprovable, so therefore controversial. Managed to cause an uproar in the Vatican, entertained half the nation, had a film made of his book (which was gash, by the way, the film, not the book), made himself a millionaire in the bargain and laughed all the way to his offshore account. Worth a mention for me... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue May 06, 2014 3:18 pm

I know Beckford's still under contract but to point the finger at Eagles and say 'you're going because you're not scoring enough' while backing a stump like Beckford to 'come good' is just typical of the man.

Dougie says he knows 'what kind of player it takes to do well in the Championship' that's clear to see it's a goalscorer.

Someone who's going to score 20+ each season with another couple of 15+ in the team will get you in the top 8. After that it's pretty much a lottery as most of the teams in the league (and the bottom half of the prem) are pretty much identical everywhere else.

The answer seems to be sign LukeyJukey, perhaps Mason, maybe play Klasnic a bit more but if the answer 'isn't Eagles' then it certainly isn't 'Beckford'.

Freedman's got to come up here soon. When I see him I'll shake his hand, get a photo with them, and say well done.

But I'll be THINKING 'You wanker Freedman'.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm

coffeymagic wrote:I know Beckford's still under contract but to point the finger at Eagles and say 'you're going because you're not scoring enough' while backing a stump like Beckford to 'come good' is just typical of the man.
:conf: I'm really not sure what your beef IS here... first it was that dougie was hanging on to Beckford while he is under contract.

NOW it seems to be "backing Beckford to come good"..

given that Beckford is under contract and may well be expected to play for us next season - isn't that what you'd expect a manager to do?? would you rather Dougie slagged Beckford off knowing that he was going to have to motivate him to play next season??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 06, 2014 3:24 pm

coffeymagic wrote:I know Beckford's still under contract but to point the finger at Eagles and say 'you're going because you're not scoring enough' while backing a stump like Beckford to 'come good' is just typical of the man.

Dougie says he knows 'what kind of player it takes to do well in the Championship' that's clear to see it's a goalscorer.

Someone who's going to score 20+ each season with another couple of 15+ in the team will get you in the top 8. After that it's pretty much a lottery as most of the teams in the league (and the bottom half of the prem) are pretty much identical everywhere else.

The answer seems to be sign LukeyJukey, perhaps Mason, maybe play Klasnic a bit more but if the answer 'isn't Eagles' then it certainly isn't 'Beckford'.

Freedman's got to come up here soon. When I see him I'll shake his hand, get a photo with them, and say well done.

Not being funny but what he actually said basically was that the players were just coasting on a big contract rather than really trying. The scoring goals thing was used as a symbol of that rather than a definitive decision making statistic.

And lets be clear Beckford has finished our season as top goalscorer. So IF you're metric is purely scoring goals (which in reality it isn't) then Dougie would be bang on in keeping Beckford?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue May 06, 2014 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not being funny but what he actually said basically was that the players were just coasting on a big contract rather than really trying. The scoring goals thing was used as a symbol of that rather than a definitive decision making statistic.

And lets be clear Beckford has finished our season as top goalscorer. So IF you're metric is purely scoring goals (which in reality it isn't) then Dougie would be bang on in keeping Beckford?
nah it says - players were got rid of because they did not want Dougie 'to change their lives'.
So he did anyway usually by firstly ostracising then and then binning them off.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm not saying he should have kept Eagles. If Freedman says 'Chris Eagles doesn't fit in with my plans for the club and I wish him well where ever he goes' then that's fine.

But why try and be clever and maon about his lack of goals when we have plenty of other players doing exactly the same.

Look, here we are at the end of a season which saw us on a freefall ito oblviion that Dougie (let's give him the credit) managed to salvage into one of the dullest seasons in a long time.

It could have been worse couldn't it? We could have been Birmingham on Saturday - we could have gone 2-0 down with 15mins left - would we have come back from that?

That's one for the pub.

I'm going to shake my etch-o-sketch memory and opinions of Freedman clean and give him a fresh start for 2014/15

I'm backing Freedman, with the players he wants, playing the style he wants to lead us back to the promised land.

I won't hear a bad word said against him.

For five games.

COYWM!

twitter @thetonycoffey

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
nah it says - players were got rid of because they did not want Dougie 'to change their lives'.
except that it doesn't, not really...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:nah it says - players were got rid of because they did not want Dougie 'to change their lives'.
except that it doesn't, not really...
Well, it kinda does, really ....

“It was difficult in most cases but not with one or two, who need a fresh start,” the manager said of his decision. “That’s what I told one or two players, we are moving the club in a different direction and I don’t think they contributed enough to the football club for what they have drawn out of it.”

The Scot took a swipe at some of the departing players as he looked forward to having some breathing room in his budget. “Part of what it means to be a manager or a coach is to bring in players who actually want to be coached and move forward,” he said. “Monday mornings they turn up and actually want to improve themselves. I’ve found too many players since I have been here that do not want me to change their lives. Their lives are okay – they don’t want to go out on loan, they only want a new contract. They sit down, score no goals and say their life is okay".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 06, 2014 4:25 pm

nahh - what it basically says is that they are not performing in proportion to the wodge we are paying them... which i would have thought was fairly uncontroversial and pretty much reflects the oft-stated view of many, many posters on here...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 06, 2014 4:26 pm

The words are there and assembled in the right order. Quotes and everything ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Oh & I personally think Knight performed creditably when he broke back into the reckoning. Not well enough to be a regular first choice, not better than Wheater or Mills, but he DID act like a professional. But before we start weeping for the poor love ... it was in his hands to stay. If budgets are tight it was up to him to accept a more realistic one.

He clearly has opted not to. Which is fine, but he did have the opportunity to discuss one within our budget.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm

thebish wrote:nahh - what it basically says is that they are not performing in proportion to the wodge we are paying them... which i would have thought was fairly uncontroversial and pretty much reflects the oft-stated view of many, many posters on here...
Staffs said Freedman said he wanted to change players lives .... you said he didn't say that ... I just showed you he did.

Not too complex.