Watford Away 09/08/2014 - Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Watford Away 09/08/2014 - Match Thread

Post by clapton is god » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:04 am

Bijou Keith doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:07 am

the bijou bit is bang on though (sorry Bob)!!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:11 am

Robbie Savage was subbed off in that game, should have walked but didn't.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 am

Well done Dougie, bang on about how two strikers ripped us apart then persist with one up front. Most teams do it because it works you clueless tit.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 am

Andy Waller wrote:Well done Dougie, bang on about how two strikers ripped us apart then persist with one up front. Most teams do it because it works you clueless tit.
Let's not get silly. We don't have the quality up front Watford do. We don't have two to play up front together. It certainly isn't worth weakening midfield just to put Beckford and Davies together.

Watford have a striker they turned down £6M for this summer and Vydra. If we had those two moaning about not playing them together might be fair enough, but we don't and I don't think playing one up was the fundamental issue.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Well done Dougie, bang on about how two strikers ripped us apart then persist with one up front. Most teams do it because it works you clueless tit.
Let's not get silly. We don't have the quality up front Watford do. We don't have two to play up front together. It certainly isn't worth weakening midfield just to put Beckford and Davies together.

Watford have a striker they turned down £6M for this summer and Vydra. If we had those two moaning about not playing them together might be fair enough, but we don't and I don't think playing one up was the fundamental issue.
Yes - because the midfield is obviously such a strong part of the team....and Freedman's ultra defensive midfield loaded tactics certainly worked yet again yesterday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:31 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yes - because the midfield is obviously such a strong part of the team....and Freedman's ultra defensive midfield loaded tactics certainly worked yet again yesterday.
Well he didn't play an outlet. Which is poor I agree. But demanding two up front in our current state isn't the answer. I can't understand why Feeney didn't start.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well he didn't play an outlet. Which is poor I agree. But demanding two up front in our current state isn't the answer. I can't understand why Feeney didn't start.
The lack of creativity and attacking intent in Freedman's teams is alarming, as is the amount of defensive minded players that he likes to play - 6 defensive players in almost every game home or away and we continually concede poor goals.

Freedman's negativity & dour personality spreads throughout the team, a clear lack of passion, a lack of tempo, poor defensive organisation, poor communication

He hasn't learned, changed or improved anything at all since he joined the club....such a sad state the club is now in with no clear direction or strategy from both chairman & manager apart from it appears survival.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am

After waiting months for the season to start, I woke up this morning wishing it hadn't. I really wish Dougie Freedman would stop sending out messages of hope and glory and just tell the players to get their fingers out, show some fight (although not really of the Medo variety) and start earning their wages. All the changes and "improvements" result in a 3-0 loss first game.
Fantastic stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote: so much so I had a rant on 5 live about him.
And here it is, live from the back seat of my car, from 44:35 :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04d4mn3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely brilliant. Sounded even better than it did live from the back seat. Best thing about it was BB sticking the boot in on Savage, for his actions in that 2-2 draw! :pray:

Nothing further to add on the performance, than has gone before, just to say, 'We wuz shiiittee'!

Fortunately, the game didn't quite spoil the day, which was spent in the excellent company of Bruce, Will, Bijou, Harry, Gooner Girl (who was very kind about our team and didn't mention Arsenal once, well maybe once or twice :D ), Lever End and Dan. Apologies if I missed anyone. I'd do the day all over again, but stay in the pub next time!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Only got sent off once in your career, that's coz managers kept taking you off when on a booking after half an hour you complete and utter prick!

I'd have been wary chucking around extravagant offers like 10 bob around, I'd have sold him for that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Have managed to get on the wrong train home, have no idea where I am and currently sitting next to some strange man who keeps trying to talk to me, but journey home aside, I had a good day (other then the result.) Was great to meet some lovely forum members and you played some good football in the second half. I watched Arsenal lose 3-0 on the first day of last season and we went on to lead the league most of the season (did I mention that today?) so don't despair just yet!
Still, you have managed to find your way back onto here. Good.

Aye, the football was shite but the company was top notch - especially mine. :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Slightly extended lowlights from those on the FLS -D-Pratz must have been doing the editing for their second goal:

Also, whoever was blaming Lonergan for any of them, wtf?!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 pm

i would blame lonergan for the one that beat him at the near post - and for the one that chipped him - (ie - both the first half goals) - he was woefully out of position both times... not that he's the only one to blame for either of them - but he sure made it easy for them to capitalise. (from where we were stood anyway - right behind the goal)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Good job Bappers wasn't playing. Sure fire penalty for them in the 2nd have if he had been..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Woefully out of position?! Bugger me. A bit out of position for the first, yes, though if that's 'woefully' we're going to need some new words soon.

1st one: There's a case to answer, he half and halfed, not coming out immediately and not staying, making Deeney's mind up for him. I'd still be concentrating more on why Matt Mills was wrong side, and then why he didn't show his usual turn of pace. Maybe that's what Dougie meant by uncharacteristic errors -that Matt Mills suddenly had the turning circle of an oil tanker, unlike normal? I'd also probably be concentrating most on the absolute worldie of a ball from their LB. Lonners could have done better, but it was hardly a glaring shocker.

2nd one: Getting beat at your near post is what happens when you're set, and they have a shot from a bit of distance that you can't save because you've left too big a gap or whatever, it isn't what happens when Tim Ream, having done the hard bit and got Vydra to the byline, inexplicably dives in (doing his best to give away a penalty in the process) meaning Vydra has all the time in the world 8 yards out. All Lonergan can do is make himself big and hope for the best there.

3rd one: Dervite showing that when people said he could provide competition for Ream, they were right in a different way than they meant. Then a 1v1 where again all he can do is make himself big.

1st one there's half a case, t'others? Naaah.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm

As a defender, I'm far more critical of the back 4 than the keeper. Looks as though the lot of them had sub-par afternoons (apart from McNaughton perhaps, didn't really see him in the highlights.)

Mills should be goal side on the first. The moment the striker was on the wrong side of him, Ream should have come across and covered him. Unless he had some trickery up his sleeve, the goal would have been stopped. This screams "I am not a centre half".

Ream was caught at least 4 metres in front of the attacker for the second (I guess Pratley's idiocy is partly to blame). Should never be that far from your man. Diving in like he did was amateurish. He had him covered and if he held his ground, the best he could have done would be to cross it in, where it would have hopefully been dealt with by Lonners or one of the other defenders. Looks like it went through Lonnergan's legs unfortunately.

Third was a decent ball, but easily should have been intercepted by Dervite. I've fluffed a few like those in the past, but I don't get paid to play.

A bad day for our defenders. Can't score and can't keep em out. A recipe for success!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:Woefully out of position?! Bugger me. A bit out of position for the first, yes, though if that's 'woefully' we're going to need some new words soon.
i was there... maybe it looks better on the TV angle - but he was EASILY beaten at his near post - nowhere near it it wasn't even struck that hard - it was passed into the net. There was an identical chance for beckford late on from exactly the same place in the same set of goals - he missed it (quelle surprise!) - but their keeper had it well covered.

lonergan wasn't solely to blame - but from where we were sat, he might have well sat on a deckchair and invited the shot. why bother to cross it when the keeper has left a HUGE near-post hole? answer - no need - just tap it in.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:25 pm

as for mcNaughton - he wasn't great - and he isn't only grey-haired - but in the way he moves, he now looks very old...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I agree with everything Bish said. Ever.