Gartside Out

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gartside Out

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:24 pm

If my Chief Exec tells me I have to cut my budget as a priority then as a manager that is what I do.

Football is the same.

I'm not claiming it is some great skill to sack folk or let them go but if that was an objective laid out for Freedman, and it clearly was, then he has achieved that. It seems that Eddie is happy that has happened and isn't so concerned with what is happening on the pitch side.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If my Chief Exec tells me I have to cut my budget as a priority then as a manager that is what I do.

Football is the same.

I'm not claiming it is some great skill to sack folk or let them go but if that was an objective laid out for Freedman, and it clearly was, then he has achieved that. It seems that Eddie is happy that has happened and isn't so concerned with what is happening on the pitch side.
I think you're right on this... although how far that will hold if we fail to win either of our next two home games is another question. I'm pretty sure (though it took too long) the increasingly hostile atmosphere tipped the balance in Megson's fate. How much worse do things need to get at the Macron before Freedman goes the same way?

The pity of it is, I think a lot of us would be willing to cut DF quite a bit of slack (given the financial constraints you quite rightly mention) if there were any signs of him shaping up in other respects.

He persistently tinkers with personnel and formation and yet it's unimaginative tinkering which seems to have the sole outcome of ensuring that we continue to play like a team of strangers. Hard for the fans to climb on board with a man who seems to be determined to drive blindfold.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 pm

All this has to make you wonder where football will be in ten years' time? I'll probably be beyond caring by then, but......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm

It's a bizarre thread. People point to the only thing Gartside getting right was the appointment of Allardyce, yet we were still in the Prem 5? Years later.

They point to the debt, which is all pretty much owned by one bloke who's bankrolled us. How the hell else did anyone think we were going to get top 10 in the Prem? Fairy dust? What do people expect? That Gartside said no thanks, we'll just chug along and maybe get relegated, see if we can bounce back?

For me, Lee was a poor manager, he recognised that and got shut quickly. Megson was dire performances, but he didn't take us down, we stabilised under Coyle season 1. He should have shunted Coyle 12 months earlier.

Freedman nearly (and probably should have) got us into the playoff's first go. You can talk about luck all you like - I don't care how he might have achieved it. After last season's start, he should probably have been looking again, but if we can't afford to get shut, we can't afford to get shut.

I have Gartside down for one hanging offence at the moment. That being holding on to Coyle too long.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:It's a bizarre thread. People point to the only thing Gartside getting right was the appointment of Allardyce, yet we were still in the Prem 5? Years later.

They point to the debt, which is all pretty much owned by one bloke who's bankrolled us. How the hell else did anyone think we were going to get top 10 in the Prem? Fairy dust? What do people expect? That Gartside said no thanks, we'll just chug along and maybe get relegated, see if we can bounce back?

For me, Lee was a poor manager, he recognised that and got shut quickly. Megson was dire performances, but he didn't take us down, we stabilised under Coyle season 1. He should have shunted Coyle 12 months earlier.

Freedman nearly (and probably should have) got us into the playoff's first go. You can talk about luck all you like - I don't care how he might have achieved it. After last season's start, he should probably have been looking again, but if we can't afford to get shut, we can't afford to get shut.

I have Gartside down for one hanging offence at the moment. That being holding on to Coyle too long.
Yep think that is about right. And people forget he is only doing what Eddie wants or let's him do. Whatever the strategy we are following, changing Gartside isn't going to change it at all.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I have Gartside down for one hanging offence at the moment. That being holding on to Coyle too long.
Phew ... the voice of reason.

Mind you, he's edging close to a second. If not already there. Maybe should have shunted this guy 11 months ago too.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Yep think that is about right. And people forget he is only doing what Eddie wants or let's him do. Whatever the strategy we are following, changing Gartside isn't going to change it at all.
I hope he's doing a bit more than that for the money he's drawing down from the club.

Just as an example of why our directors might enjoy "working with the club" here's an extract from The Guardian report on football finance in 2012.

"Highest-paid director: £858,000, presumed to be Allan Duckworth, includes £397,000 pay-off."

Duckworth was our Chief Executive for 14 years. Taking off the pay-off this suggests his salary was £450k. Gartside might have to struggle by on less, but then he's also on the board of Wembley Stadium.

For that money, I want something more than the owner's Yes-man.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote: They point to the debt, which is all pretty much owned by one bloke who's bankrolled us. How the hell else did anyone think we were going to get top 10 in the Prem? Fairy dust?
Dangerously close to Ridsdale's "we lived the dream" philosophy, though. And I suspect the debt only started growing well beyond manageable proportions once Allardyce left (which, quite frighteningly is now!) 7 1/2 years ago.

But thats really Eddie Davies' look out.

From Gartside's perspective, the potted history of his managers is probably 1) Appointed a mate who's been busy intriguing whilst Allardyce is busy daydreaming about the England job. 2) Appointed a mate of a mate after original decision is disastrous. Only for him to prove about as popular as syphilis. 3) Get yourself back in the fans' good books by appointing a guy who was a terrace hero. Only for him to also turn out about as popular as syphilis. 4) No idea, probably to do with Crystal Palace's shoestring budget. Signs of Syphilis emerging.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:10 pm

Probably a bit clapped out by now. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I have Gartside down for one hanging offence at the moment. That being holding on to Coyle too long.
Phew ... the voice of reason.

Mind you, he's edging close to a second. If not already there. Maybe should have shunted this guy 11 months ago too.
I've not forgiven him for the Carling cup final ticket fiasco. That was his first hanging offence :evil:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Geez, I don't know ... accumulating and overseeing a debt, which grew year-on-year, for 10 consecutive years, whilst we were in the Prem, seems like "a case of gross negligence".

That's how a former BWFC CEO put it to me a few months ago. The way he explained it made it hard to disagree.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:37 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:Geez, I don't know ... accumulating and overseeing a debt, which grew year-on-year, for 10 consecutive years, whilst we were in the Prem, seems like "a case of gross negligence".

That's how a former BWFC CEO put it to me a few months ago. The way he explained it made it hard to disagree.
That the debt grew is undeniable, but by the same yardstick, Eddie Davies certainly must have been aware of the same thing since every AGM would be complete with financial statements. If gross negligence is the case it's more than just P.G's fault. Either they were both (plus the board members) sure we'd get back in the Premiership and the finances would improve or they're on some sort of winding up excercise? (note the question mark as I really have no idea)
For sure, E'D seems to have said enough's enough as regards spending and an awareness of F.F.P.. The debt remains a very pertinent question should something happen to him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:09 am

jonnybwfc wrote:Geez, I don't know ... accumulating and overseeing a debt, which grew year-on-year, for 10 consecutive years, whilst we were in the Prem, seems like "a case of gross negligence".

Not if he was told to spend the money. The debt grew over a number of seasons and Eddie had every opportunity to say enough. It's only in the last few years he's decided enough. There's no doubt Gartside has made mistakes, maybe he's given Eddie some bad advice, but the spending is on Eddie - a highly successful businessman.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Not if he was told to spend the money. The debt grew over a number of seasons and Eddie had every opportunity to say enough. It's only in the last few years he's decided enough. There's no doubt Gartside has made mistakes, maybe he's given Eddie some bad advice, but the spending is on Eddie - a highly successful businessman.
Indeed - if we owed it all to banks, I'm sure they would've possibly foreclosed by now and that would be irresponsible.

If Eddie says "take it don't worry about paying it back" then that's hardly negligent - we don't know the terms, so it's difficult to tell...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:If Eddie says "take it don't worry about paying it back" then that's hardly negligent - we don't know the terms, so it's difficult to tell...
Even then they'd be HIS terms, to HIM. What accountants call 'wooden money'.

It's just that he's decided not to add to it, and probably actively can't add to it due to FFP.

It does appear to be years of overspending, underinvestment and build up of money owed to the owner. It does seem to have been poorly handled and maybe he made some presumptions which proved to be rather ambitious. We ARE in a pickle. But we ain't being foreclosed upon anytime soon.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 am

You've well and truly done it now Bobo!

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am

If Eddie says "take it don't worry about paying it back" then that's hardly negligent - we don't know the terms, so it's difficult to tell...
I think what he actually said was "take it, and pay me unreasonably high annual interest...oh, at least until the press compares me unfavourably with Mohammed al Fayed."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Yup ^.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:45 pm

The most interest I can remember BWFC paying to ED from my annual poke through the accounts was about £5m which was about 5% of the debt at the time, although on turnover of over £50m that seemed alright to me.

The club has been for sale for years and no good offer has come in so I imagine ED and PG (a long term partnership here) are staying on more because they have to than for any great joy of doing it.

Cue 'I'd stay on if I had to for £400k a year' etc. !
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Surely it makes it less of a chore though?