When was the last time we had a squad this poor?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

When was the last time we had a squad this poor?

Post by William the White » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I think it's probably true that somewhere there is a manager that could take this squad and make them play better than DF has managed. But I think only someone with a direct line to the Almighty would be able to make these players into promotion or play off candidates.

It's a long, long time since I felt the team had no one in it of real quality that I looked forward to watching. In the third division we had Walker, Lee and McGinlay - and decent back up elsewhere.

So, I think we might have to go back to pre-Rioch days - more than 20 years - to find a Bolton squad weaker and more uninspiring than this one. And even then it might be better organised than this.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When was the last time we had a squad this poor?

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Mate this is going to be a short thread. You are right. And i dont remember it, just about wheni started watching!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:33 pm

William the White wrote:I think it's probably true that somewhere there is a manager that could take this squad and make them play better than DF has managed. But I think only someone with a direct line to the Almighty would be able to make these players into promotion or play off candidates.

It's a long, long time since I felt the team had no one in it of real quality that I looked forward to watching. In the third division we had Walker, Lee and McGinlay - and decent back up elsewhere.

So, I think we might have to go back to pre-Rioch days - more than 20 years - to find a Bolton squad weaker and more uninspiring than this one. And even then it might be better organised than this.
Even then there were characters who might not have been the most talented but were likeable and you could relate to them.
The only ray of hope in this squad of anyone worth watching is Mavies, and he's constantly crocked. I've a lot of time for Danns and like watching him play because of his attitude and enthusiasm, but if he's the highlight we really are in trouble.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:43 pm

William the White wrote: So, I think we might have to go back to pre-Rioch days - more than 20 years - to find a Bolton squad weaker and more uninspiring than this one.
This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to your post, Will, it's something that I've thought quite a bit about recently. I've concluded that no other squad as ever left me less inspired than the current one in my 40 years. There's absolutely nothing coming back. Nothing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:13 pm

I suspect it will have been the one Phil Neal took down to Division 4. By the time he was bringing us back he had Philliskirk & Reeves and even McAteer and Stubbs breaking through.

It's sooooo uninspiring. He's developed a team in his own image and that's not a good one. There is no-one who you would hang your hat on.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Yep. Think I might have to go all the way back to my childhood - just after Francis Lee and then Wyn Davies had been sold. Pass me that rope... :hang:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:19 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:Yep. Think I might have to go all the way back to my childhood - just after Francis Lee and then Wyn Davies had been sold. Pass me that rope... :hang:
Don't underestimate Terry Wharton and Gareth Williams there, Everso
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm in the same place as Brucie, but I'm not convinced this is just a Freedman thing. Once we got past about 2007 it's been poor. I've been struggling to find anyone I'd pay to watch since then. There are some players marginally better than others, but it's all relative.

Also agree with Bobo, that you probably have to head into the mid 80's, but even then you could pick out the odd player that cheered you up.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Fcuk me.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 am

Christ. What an unexpected picture.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 am

Jetsetwilly is going to go ballistic!

Just goes to show how disconnected the players are these days. Whilst I'm sure us fans feel like they should be on quadruple training after their showing so far this season, I can see some value in giving them a break to sort themselves out. That said, for a club captain to seemingly giving it large in the sun whilst the team is in such disarray, seems insensitive at best. They need to get the fans onside and this isn't going to help.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 am

#why #do #people #write #like #this #?

#f**king #cretins
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:36 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Jetsetwilly is going to go ballistic!Just goes to show how disconnected the players are these days. Whilst I'm sure us fans feel like they should be on quadruple training after their showing so far this season, I can see some value in giving them a break to sort themselves out. That said, for a club captain to seemingly giving it large in the sun whilst the team is in such disarray, seems insensitive at best. They need to get the fans onside and this isn't going to help.
He ain't the only one, given how crap Javelin has been this season I'd bin him off for this.

Freedman away training the Jocks, bin him off too should be working on how to manage a football team not runing around with Scottish no hopers.

Fat Phil must have his gob full of pasty he's been so quiet.

Does the IOM get newspapers, radio, TV or the internet yet?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:49 am

Andy Waller wrote:#why #do #people #write #like #this #?

#f**king #cretins

Lol! I know it's irritating, Andy, but the (underlying) idea of the hashtags (#) is to increase the range and number of people who will see the posting. Some people, for example, will have their counts set to seek out anything with the hashtag #BWFC.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 am

bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:Yep. Think I might have to go all the way back to my childhood - just after Francis Lee and then Wyn Davies had been sold. Pass me that rope... :hang:
Don't underestimate Terry Wharton and Gareth Williams there, Everso

From memory, Terry Wharton (club record signing from Wolves for, I think £70k) had about two decent games. Gareth Williams was more reliable but finished up as a prison warder (seriously).

No doubt the team Neal took down in Div4 was worse - happily, I was out of the country at the time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 am

bobo the clown wrote:Image

why is one of the hashtags "biggestpingpongfight"?? Is that STILL what's going on??

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 am

anyway - given that the general view is that dougie's coaching is BAD for the players - surely we should be glad that they are relaxing and "bonding" and not having oodles of football talent and flair drained from them???

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:41 am

EverSoYouri wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:#why #do #people #write #like #this #?

#f**king #cretins

Lol! I know it's irritating, Andy, but the (underlying) idea of the hashtags (#) is to increase the range and number of people who will see the posting. Some people, for example, will have their counts set to seek out anything with the hashtag #BWFC.

So basically, it's attention seeking?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

Andy Waller wrote:
So basically, it's attention seeking?
No more than posting messages on, for instance, the Wanderer is.

Given that twitter doesn't have headings, it's a way to sort messages into subjects. Imagine the Wanderer if, instead of threads, everything was just posted in a big bucket.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"