Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Site For Sale

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:If I may, I'd like to make a proposal...

I've checked with Kev and it looks like my own server is capable of handling the site. This leaves us with 2 options as I see it, subject to how Kev would want to proceed:

1. Leave the forum where it is and between us manage the payments and run the site at the current costs (£25pm).
2. Transfer the forum to my server, where it would have it's own standalone account and therefore easily transferable in the future. The cost of this option would definitely be less based on the current forum needs. If the forum suddenly became the Facebook of football, we might have to invest more!

I have experience of administering a forum in the past, though using a different platform (not massively dissimilar). I would prefer to have some help/back-up on the technical side (throwaway?).

If all were agreed on option 2 I would propose to form a small committee to decide on how the site should be run. Things like advertising v subscription v donation etc. Also for someone on that committee to take responsibility for the raising of funds. I would further propose that any surplus funds either be put into development of the site, or used for a TW event or charity purposes - again, all agreed by a committee.

How do people want to proceed?

Option A is fine by me. I would like a badge on my avatar to state that I am a financial contributor/ shareholder should there be any future claims (Mark Zuckerberg stylee) in the next few years. :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Gary. You know how you lose things and generally get confused on football forums? There is no option A :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Gary. You know how you lose things and generally get confused on football forums? There is no option A :wink:

When I'm a shareholder there bloody well WILL be. :twisted:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Sounds sensible, and as you'd be doing the hosting, whatever you thinks works best AT. Are ye saying it'd be less than £25pcm? Sounds eminently affordable.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm

I would make a small contribution if it means keeping the site open - don't ask me anything technical though, i'm a dinosaur!! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Sounds sensible, and as you'd be doing the hosting, whatever you thinks works best AT. Are ye saying it'd be less than £25pcm? Sounds eminently affordable.
I think we'd be looking at £15pcm as a best guestimate. Certainly less than the current £25 cost. Sticking a single Google advert on each page could (possibly) reduce that further, if people want to go that direction.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Sounds sensible, and as you'd be doing the hosting, whatever you thinks works best AT. Are ye saying it'd be less than £25pcm? Sounds eminently affordable.
I think we'd be looking at £15pcm as a best guestimate. Certainly less than the current £25 cost. Sticking a single Google advert on each page could (possibly) reduce that further, if people want to go that direction.

Personally I'd prefer to keep adverts out of it.

Regular posters on here could easily afford, say £0.50 pcm

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Personally I'd prefer to keep adverts out of it.

Regular posters on here could easily afford, say £0.50 pcm
I'm happy to go with what people want. My personal experience with donations in a scenario like ours wasn't great. Initial enthusiasm faded after a few months and it became a major hassle. Not saying that would happen here, but it would need someone volunteering to crack the whip and cajole the cash out of people. If someone is willing and able then great, if not, we would have to explore other options.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:34 pm

will donators be exempt from being banned? :twisted:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:will donators be exempt from being banned? :twisted:
You'd have to accept a Hoss special punishment instead :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:47 pm

AT - you sound more experienced than me as regards raising money for websites, but I do know from publishing experience that it's far more hassle to raise an amount every now and again (say, buying a monthly magazine) than to persuade people to subscribe - especially if it's only a very few people at a very low cost. To use LK's idea of Direct Debits so there's a monthly cash influx, if we get say 15 of us setting up a DD for £1 each per month, then frankly for most people it's not worth the hassle of cancelling the DD... even if we got banned.

And if any of us (perish the thought) get so hard-up that we need to save that £1pcm, I'm sure the rest of the subscribers would understand and it shouldn't be too hard to find another willing backer. We're not talking Eddie Davies amounts are we?!

(I'm saying £1 on the fag-packet assumption that there would be 15 of us and it costs £15pcm. We might find there's 30, or 50, willing subscribers - but as I say I'd make it a DD thing so we don't have to bucket-rattle every month.)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:AT - you sound more experienced than me as regards raising money for websites, but I do know from publishing experience that it's far more hassle to raise an amount every now and again (say, buying a monthly magazine) than to persuade people to subscribe - especially if it's only a very few people at a very low cost. To use LK's idea of Direct Debits so there's a monthly cash influx, if we get say 15 of us setting up a DD for £1 each per month, then frankly for most people it's not worth the hassle of cancelling the DD... even if we got banned.

And if any of us (perish the thought) get so hard-up that we need to save that £1pcm, I'm sure the rest of the subscribers would understand and it shouldn't be too hard to find another willing backer. We're not talking Eddie Davies amounts are we?!

(I'm saying £1 on the fag-packet assumption that there would be 15 of us and it costs £15pcm. We might find there's 30, or 50, willing subscribers - but as I say I'd make it a DD thing so we don't have to bucket-rattle every month.)
As long as I don't have to do the renewal letters! I did fulfilment for a publishing group in a past life :)

If people are happy with subscriptions then I've no issue with giving it a go.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm

if there is such a list - i am happy to subscribe with a DD or standing order.. (or send postal orders!)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Sorry, yeah, I meant standing orders not Direct Debits - ALWAYS getting those phrases mixed up.

Presumably we wouldn't have to send out renewal letters like grown-up publishers do... :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Presumably we wouldn't have to send out renewal letters like grown-up publishers do... :D
I'd vote not to :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm happy to subscribe - on condition we don't have to have another AT Transfer Thread! :-)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm

DSB's words here are spot on, if you are willing to take that on then I'll go along with anything which suits you.

I'm happy to help in any way AT.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:54 pm

If we're starting a list of subscribers, count me in*.

*Legal bit:This is of course in no way an open chequebook, just in case anyone is looking for me to as an easy target to wipe off Eddie Davies debt in one fell swoop in the future.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 pm

If anyone needs any tech web help that's maybe slightly above server level just gimme a holler! I used to run something similar in the past.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm happy to donate money to keep this place running. I don't have PayPal unfortunately, is there anyway I could get an arrangement to send say £25 quid somewhere as a contribution?
Pfffft.