Site For Sale

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Site For Sale

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: As a former Think Tanker I can confirm this to be truth. I'm still a bit miffed to be honest that we didn't get a badge or certificate or owt :evil: :wink:
Didn't you? Oh! 8)
Not sure making your own counts :wink:

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The idea of the Think Tank, of which I was a member, was simply to drum up additional ideas for the site regarding recurrent themes such as the 'What Are You....' threads, front page articles, items for the paper edition which we handed out a few years ago and so on. That was all. It wasn't to become part of the inner workings of the site. Those that were involved in it, with the clear exception of Sluffy, understood that perfectly well. What it certainly wasn't was some sort of inner sanctum.
Thank you Bruce. That description nails it exactly. For the benefit of the members interested:

The "inner workings" of the site related mainly to Keveh's ideas for fund-raising etc and discussions about such. Ratbert was site editor and responsible for the front page content, articles etc, keeping the Last Match/Next Match in order and using the site tools for publishing and editing anything anyone submitted. That's the role I took over. Site admin also have access to a "Ban" button for extreme cases. In times of bombing spam attacks trusted folk like Bruce and co were given access to this to help delete idiot posts. "Hiddn Forum?" Think "Board meetings". No doubt Sluffy's emlployers invite him along to such and he's probably demanded access or accuse them of conspiracy.
As a former Think Tanker I can confirm this to be truth. I'm still a bit miffed to be honest that we didn't get a badge or certificate or owt :evil: :wink:
And it was also the place where the modding was done open to the eyes of not only the modderators and admin but also good dozen or so in the 'clique' who happily character assissinated people whose faces didn't fit because they dared to have different views and opinions than those prevailing by the majority at the time, or conversely spoke well of someone because they were their best mate and 'the other numpty deserved all the abuse they got, so let's give Batman / Commie / Warty, etc yet another chance - they've done so much for the site etc, etc.

I didn't agree that four specific individuals basically could act in a manner of being above the law of the site - all of whom either were in the 'exclusive' forum (if you prefer that to hidden or secret - both of which were factual at the time I was a mod) or had personal friends who were.

I simply believed that in order to perform the job as a mod that the site should treat everybody equally and fairly, that no one should be dealt with any differently simply beacause they were part of the 'exclusive' forum (or had personal contacts who were) - that discussions on individuals should not be held in front of others who had no right to be party to them, or in the worse case scenario in front of the very persons who you may be considering taking action against because of their continual and persistently unacceptable abusive behaviour to others.

I simply asked for a place where the job of moderation could be done fairly without being subjected to pressure from the 'offender' themselves and / or their mates too!

Strangely enough after I gave in confidence the names of the four people I believed thought they were 'untochables' on this site, I was removed as a mod.

What a coincidence!

Three of the four have since been banned from here for life.

You do what you want to do on this forum - I've got my own and it is run fairly and with a respect to everyone on it. Perhaps this is now too, it certainly wasn't in my time though.

All I intended to add to this thread was that there are hosting sites out there who will migrate this forum and host it for relative buttons and that lack of IT skills and knowledge or an off putting £350 per year cost of running the site should not be a barrier anymore to anyone who feels they can and want to develop and move this site forward.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:38 pm

let it go, sluffster... i'm not sure what your interest is here - none of us feel fleeced or persecuted or downtrodden by the system...

it just looks like sour bitterness (which might not be what you intend..)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:01 pm

sluffy wrote:You do what you want to do on this forum - I've got my own
If you have your own forum and it's so great, why do you give a damn about this one. You are coming across all bitter and twisted. Please toddle off to play with your Nuts will you.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:33 pm

sluffy wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The idea of the Think Tank, of which I was a member, was simply to drum up additional ideas for the site regarding recurrent themes such as the 'What Are You....' threads, front page articles, items for the paper edition which we handed out a few years ago and so on. That was all. It wasn't to become part of the inner workings of the site. Those that were involved in it, with the clear exception of Sluffy, understood that perfectly well. What it certainly wasn't was some sort of inner sanctum.
Thank you Bruce. That description nails it exactly. For the benefit of the members interested:

The "inner workings" of the site related mainly to Keveh's ideas for fund-raising etc and discussions about such. Ratbert was site editor and responsible for the front page content, articles etc, keeping the Last Match/Next Match in order and using the site tools for publishing and editing anything anyone submitted. That's the role I took over. Site admin also have access to a "Ban" button for extreme cases. In times of bombing spam attacks trusted folk like Bruce and co were given access to this to help delete idiot posts. "Hiddn Forum?" Think "Board meetings". No doubt Sluffy's emlployers invite him along to such and he's probably demanded access or accuse them of conspiracy.
As a former Think Tanker I can confirm this to be truth. I'm still a bit miffed to be honest that we didn't get a badge or certificate or owt :evil: :wink:
And it was also the place where the modding was done open to the eyes of not only the modderators and admin but also good dozen or so in the 'clique' who happily character assissinated people whose faces didn't fit because they dared to have different views and opinions than those prevailing by the majority at the time, or conversely spoke well of someone because they were their best mate and 'the other numpty deserved all the abuse they got, so let's give Batman / Commie / Warty, etc yet another chance - they've done so much for the site etc, etc.

I didn't agree that four specific individuals basically could act in a manner of being above the law of the site - all of whom either were in the 'exclusive' forum (if you prefer that to hidden or secret - both of which were factual at the time I was a mod) or had personal friends who were.

I simply believed that in order to perform the job as a mod that the site should treat everybody equally and fairly, that no one should be dealt with any differently simply beacause they were part of the 'exclusive' forum (or had personal contacts who were) - that discussions on individuals should not be held in front of others who had no right to be party to them, or in the worse case scenario in front of the very persons who you may be considering taking action against because of their continual and persistently unacceptable abusive behaviour to others.

I simply asked for a place where the job of moderation could be done fairly without being subjected to pressure from the 'offender' themselves and / or their mates too!

Strangely enough after I gave in confidence the names of the four people I believed thought they were 'untochables' on this site, I was removed as a mod.

What a coincidence!

You do what you want to do on this forum - I've got my own and it is run fairly and with a respect to everyone on it. Perhaps this is now too, it certainly wasn't in my time though.

All I intended to add to this thread was that there are hosting sites out there who will migrate this forum and host it for relative buttons and that lack of IT skills and knowledge or an off putting £350 per year cost of running the site should not be a barrier anymore to anyone who feels they can and want to develop and move this site forward.
Not how I remember it, so we'll have to agree to disagree. With regards to the hosting, we'll have to disagree again. I'm not saying it's rocket science, but you are mistaken if you believe all forums are the same resources wise. Different code, different requirements. Good luck with your own, but I'm happy with how this one runs thanks.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Are the site mods Freemasons or Illuminati?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Are the site mods Freemasons or Illuminati?
If we told you, we'd have to kill you.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Are the site mods Freemasons or Illuminati?
More 'Knights of St. Columba' than 'Opus Dei' I think LE.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:31 pm

More knights who say 'Ni'

Anyway, can we get back to saving our forum?

I have no interest in Bolton Nots.

And yes, I have spelled (spelt) it right.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:59 pm

sluffy wrote:

What a coincidence!

So if I understand it right Sluffy, and by your own words, you wanted to ban four people ( in your very short time as a mod) because you're a fair-minded chap, but the mods didn't want to do that because they were all their mates on a secret forum where half-a-dozen admin/mods and some good dozen of their mates, in a clique, chatted , plotted and schemed? Wow, that's some secret forum. I wish Soldier was still here to give his view. :shock:

The bit in bold, very kind of you and......er, yes, right. Time to let it go pal. " Cadburys take em and they cover them with chocolate, Nuts, whole hazel nuts.... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:So if I understand it right Sluffy, and by your own words, you wanted to ban four people ( in your very short time as a mod) because you're a fair-minded chap, but the mods didn't want to do that because they were all their mates on a secret forum where half-a-dozen admin/mods and some good dozen of their mates, in a clique, chatted , plotted and schemed? Wow, that's some secret forum.
No, you've not got it right.

I simply wanted a Mods forum, where anything that needed to be discussed about peoples behaviour on the forum could be done so in privacy and a collective decision made as to how to deal with whatever the issues were.

Instead we had an 'exclusive' forum consisting of numerous people who had nothing whatsoever to do with the modding of the site standing by their mates who had once again felt that the forum rules did not apply to them.

Funnily enough you were one of the people who were happy to stand up for the likes of Warthog who had once again abused some poor soul for daring to disagree with their view. Usually on the basis that 'we' could not lose them because they did so much for the site, whilst the person abused was not a frequent poster and would be no loss if they left here - or some other sort of false reasoning to justify giving them yet another chance without any form of censure.

Oh and thanks for your ongoing abuse of me.

It was expected and you didn't disapoint.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Has anyone got a penny to put on top of the stylus? I think the record's stuck...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 pm

sluffy wrote: I simply wanted a Mods forum
Hang on, the point of your tedious beef is because there was/is a Mods forum, that you weren't invited into by dint of you not being a Mod.

Dear me. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
sluffy wrote: I simply wanted a Mods forum
Hang on, the point of your tedious beef is because there was/is a Mods forum, that you weren't invited into by dint of you not being a Mod.

Dear me. :roll:
What?

I was a mod.

There may be a Mods only forum now but there certainly wasn't when I was doing the job.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Has anyone got a penny to put on top of the stylus? I think the record's stuck...
I had to do that so many times as a kid on my big sister's record player..you brought back so many happy memories there Worthy...thanks :D
The Voice Of Reason

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:42 pm

ffs Sluffy. You weren't happy, you left. You started your own site up ... you're very pleased with that. Good, I'm pleased.

You came on here to offer some advice, thanks ... it's been noted. Now give it a rest.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:ffs Sluffy. You weren't happy, you left. You started your own site up ... you're very pleased with that. Good, I'm pleased.

You came on here to offer some advice, thanks ... it's been noted. Now give it a rest.
I was happy to do just that!

I had no hidden agenda.

I've simply defended myself against a barrage of abuse and criticism, nearly all of it coming from those who should know better and non of it warranted or necessary.

(PS - the mosaic thread is still one of the funniest I have ever read!).

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Why can't we have a "Rockers" forum, why are we limited to just being mods on a mod forum? Does this mean Tango, Zulu and CH all ride round on Lambrettas?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:47 pm

wigan white wrote:Why can't we have a "Rockers" forum, why are we limited to just being mods on a mod forum? Does this mean Tango, Zulu and CH all ride round on Lambrettas?
I had a big barsteward of a scooter one time. Didn't look quite right wearing my "Chips" helmet shades and biker boots though. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:40 pm

wigan white wrote:Why can't we have a "Rockers" forum, why are we limited to just being mods on a mod forum? Does this mean Tango, Zulu and CH all ride round on Lambrettas?
We've no chance with our fuzzy faces WW.

TW inner sanctum photo taken away in Brighton a couple of seasons ago. Who is who?