Howling at the Moon! - Wolves (A) 20/9/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Howling at the Moon! - Wolves (A) 20/9/14

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:How unpredictable.

No feck capable of holding possession in midfield and we wonder why we only had 40% of it. 4 attacking players with no bastard winning the ball and giving it to them isn't a good idea.
bring back pratley - all is forgiven! :D

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:All depressingly predictable. Hands up anyone that thought it would have gone any differently?

All those people whose match predictions started 'Wolves 0' start whistling tunelessly and try to shuffle out of the room without being named and shamed...
I'd assumed they were being sarcastic :|

Well, let's hope so....

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:How unpredictable.

No feck capable of holding possession in midfield and we wonder why we only had 40% of it. 4 attacking players with no bastard winning the ball and giving it to them isn't a good idea.
bring back pratley - all is forgiven! :D
Steady! :shock:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:27 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:All depressingly predictable. Hands up anyone that thought it would have gone any differently?

All those people whose match predictions started 'Wolves 0' start whistling tunelessly and try to shuffle out of the room without being named and shamed...
I'd assumed they were being sarcastic :|

Well, let's hope so....
Even In my moment of silliness predicting a whites win I wasn't so foolish as to start it with wolves 0! Duh.

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXZns1IY9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garvans terrible penalty incase anybody is interested.


EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 pm

adamworthy2002 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXZns1IY9s

Garvans terrible penalty incase anybody is interested.

Not great but, to be fair to the guy, why didn't one of our established players step forward? (Or why wasn't young Mason - hat trick in the bag - putting himself forward?)

Piss poor both on team spirit and leadership.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:00 pm

When all's said and done, what really matters is played 8, won 1 and points: 5, with points: 5 being the important bit. Nearly's, hard-luck and if only, really don't matter a dam in the relevant stakes. A stupid ball drop into the net and a bad penalty are but excuses at the end of the day. They happen every now and then to everybody. To us, far too often.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 pm

DJBlu wrote:Dougie, do us all a favour and feck off.

Get the tea lady in.

Anyone. I really didn't think life as a Bolton fan could get any worse.

1 win in 8. How is he managing to stay in a job?

The owner has lost any ambitions he had for the football team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Can't blame Garvan for taking the penalty. Can blame others for not stepping up. Can blame Garvan for taking a poor penalty.

Attacking 4-4-2, light on tacklers, always going to concede possession. Imagine if Mavies had been in for Garvan.

Surprised we played such an open line-up. Not surprised DF gets blamed for it, although I'd rather lose 1-0 with an attacking 4-4-2 than with a defensive 4-5-1. Slightly surprised at the lack of comment on here. Maybe folk have given up. Can't blame 'em.

I remember us losing 1-0 not unexpectedly at Wolves then going unbeaten for 23 games. It'd be nice if that happened again.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 pm

"It was a poor penalty. I liked his confidence to go up and take it but it was a disappointing penalty." DF

So, we win a penalty and then have a debate about who's going to take it? Slipshod.

Maybe this is common practice (to play it by ear) but it strikes me as sloppy. What's the point of investing in state of the art analysis of the players performances (distance run, passes and tackles etc) if we leave major opportunities to score unplanned? Okay, Craig Davies (who has been taking them) wasn't on the field (his replacement was the one who "won" the penalty), but the players should know who's next in line, rather than leaving them to decide ad hoc.

Penalties, scored or missed, change the course of a game, Dougie.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:47 pm

^^

Not only should penalty taking be practised and decided on before matches, not during them, but I've noticed we have the same scenario with free kicks. Surely we're more professional than this? We were gifted an almost certain chance to level today and blew it. Lonergan is a decent keeper but he had a real unguarded moment today and in the end, that cost us any chance of points. We're not at hara-kiri stage by any means, maybe we're even almost there in the main, we made some good chances and just didn't put them away, but a couple of wins would surely be a real confidence booster.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:49 pm

More professional than what? 11 blokes fresh off the darts n doms area of the golden lion? You better believe it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:01 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Can't blame Garvan for taking the penalty. Can blame others for not stepping up. Can blame Garvan for taking a poor penalty.

Attacking 4-4-2, light on tacklers, always going to concede possession. Imagine if Mavies had been in for Garvan.

Surprised we played such an open line-up. Not surprised DF gets blamed for it, although I'd rather lose 1-0 with an attacking 4-4-2 than with a defensive 4-5-1. Slightly surprised at the lack of comment on here. Maybe folk have given up. Can't blame 'em.

I remember us losing 1-0 not unexpectedly at Wolves then going unbeaten for 23 games. It'd be nice if that happened again.
I think we've been here before. 451 doesn't have to be defensive, 442 isn't necessarily attacking, especially if you can't get the ball with someone who can distribute it. I couldn't see from when you posted the team, who was going to do that...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 am

Not just a shocking pen but he did really well to hit the keeper with the rebound!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 am

Also didn't realise our tip top home record is or only source of points so far!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 am

Just seen the goal on the bbc highlights.

:laugh: Lonneygan. :hang:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 am

Got exactly what we deserved today we had a 1 minute spell where we looked threatening in the 2nd half, that was it.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 am

Was that the minute between Beckford winning the penalty and Garvan missing it?

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:52 am

Was the penalty our best chance of the game? Some penalties are scored, some are missed. Whatever. To hang on that as if that's the reason we lost is stupid. What about the other 89 minutes of the game? Did we not create any other chances?

"If we score the penalty, I believe we would have gone on to win the game."

Get real Dougie, missing the penalty is bad luck, but doesn't change the fact that we couldn't put more than 4 shots on target in the entire game (does that include the penalty and the follow up? That would be 2 shots then other than the penalty then).

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 am

Bolton bossed the first 15 minutes, Wolves the next 20. Bolton were certainly the better side throughout the second half. They never looked like scoring, even when they scored! We created half a dozen clear cut chances, I swear some of them were harder to miss.

They looked better footballers, we showed more endeavour. We lack that bit of quality, particularly in front of goal. At least we had the nous to create chances, for all their looking good on the ball they created very little, one long range effort being the only time they really threatened our goal.

By the way, Craig Davis was definitely not our best player.

I spent the night in Wolverhampton, it is not a shithole. Least not the bits I saw.