Howling at the Moon! - Wolves (A) 20/9/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Howling at the Moon! - Wolves (A) 20/9/14

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 am

Enoch wrote:Bolton bossed the first 15 minutes, Wolves the next 20. Bolton were certainly the better side throughout the second half. They never looked like scoring, even when they scored! We created half a dozen clear cut chances, I swear some of them were harder to miss.

They looked better footballers, we showed more endeavour. We lack that bit of quality, particularly in front of goal. At least we had the nous to create chances, for all their looking good on the ball they created very little, one long range effort being the only time they really threatened our goal.

By the way, Craig Davis was definitely not our best player.

I spent the night in Wolverhampton, it is not a shithole. Least not the bits I saw.
↑↑↑↑ Contrarian.

Wolverhampton is no worse than most industrial towns who were ravaged first by Hitler, then by the concrete planners and finally by recession. It's hardly lovely, far from awful and blighted by one of the worst accents known to man.

From what I heard we were 'OK'. Could have done better but could have come away with a point. Missing penalties doesn't help. But we're are now 8 games in with 5 points and just one win. Near misses are beginning to pile up and can't be good enough.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:42 am

Pissed up rose tinter.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 am

Enoch wrote:Bolton bossed the first 15 minutes, Wolves the next 20. Bolton were certainly the better side throughout the second half. They never looked like scoring, even when they scored! We created half a dozen clear cut chances, I swear some of them were harder to miss.

They looked better footballers, we showed more endeavour. We lack that bit of quality, particularly in front of goal. At least we had the nous to create chances, for all their looking good on the ball they created very little, one long range effort being the only time they really threatened our goal.

By the way, Craig Davis was definitely not our best player.

I spent the night in Wolverhampton, it is not a shithole. Least not the bits I saw.
Well I got lost on the way back to the station and ended up seeing the very worse Wolverhampton has to offer and can confirm it is absolutely horrible.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 am

Molyneux to the station is about half a mile.

I wouldn't recommend anyone the journey from Burnden to Trinity Street as an example of the beauties of our town. Thank God we have Regent Street, eh ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:40 am

Don't forget Newport Street and The Gateway to Bolton! Spectacular views.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:49 am

LeverEnd wrote:Don't forget Newport Street and The Gateway to Bolton! Spectacular views.
Don't be so negative. It's Bolton's Artistic Quarter! What's more, all those tattooists are 'award winning'!

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Can't blame Garvan for taking the penalty. Can blame others for not stepping up. Can blame Garvan for taking a poor penalty.

Attacking 4-4-2, light on tacklers, always going to concede possession. Imagine if Mavies had been in for Garvan.

Surprised we played such an open line-up. Not surprised DF gets blamed for it, although I'd rather lose 1-0 with an attacking 4-4-2 than with a defensive 4-5-1. Slightly surprised at the lack of comment on here. Maybe folk have given up. Can't blame 'em.
I remember us losing 1-0 not unexpectedly at Wolves then going unbeaten for 23 games. It'd be nice if that happened again.
Yup. Theres not much to say thats not been debated a 1000 times, albeit the wait, see and hope (keep Freedman) posters seem to have melted into the background - where are you, after all we're only 8 games into the season.
The entire club (incl fans) are exuding an aura of resignation, grim desparation of whether we can cobble together enough points to survive this season and grateful if we occasionally put together a 20 min performance to pull out of the fire, points against the likes of rotherham. Expectations have certainly been re-set - no wonder DF didn't want people looking back and comparing with the past.
Something needs to change and I think everyone knows what. Its a question of what will force that change. Doesn't seem like STs/ gates being down is enough. Doesn't seem like results & performances will do it. So seems to me that the fans have tilt the balance to make it happen. Pitchfork time :evil:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Statistically and according to reports, yesterday looks like one of our better performances. The Derby game should be an interesting measure of whether there is any real improvement. (And by 'real' I mean enough to keep us in this division).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 pm

William the White wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Don't forget Newport Street and The Gateway to Bolton! Spectacular views.
Don't be so negative. It's Bolton's Artistic Quarter! What's more, all those tattooists are 'award winning'!
And sharing location space with the dearest mens' shop in Bolton by some miles. Top area that :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Molyneux to the station is about half a mile.

I wouldn't recommend anyone the journey from Burnden to Trinity Street as an example of the beauties of our town. Thank God we have Regent Street, eh ?
I should of turned straight out of the ground, I turned left and ended up in the sh*t part of town.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 pm

T H all the above areas in Bolton are quite pleasant to where I was, most are well lit for starters. where I was was comparable to the in-between the two railway bridges at the Den. admittedly I was daft enough to presume that if I walked to wards the railway tracks I would soon find the station - I was infact going the wrong way.

this is where I ended up

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.59799 ... e0!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 am

That URL looks like it's still a teenage URL. OMG!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:18 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:T H all the above areas in Bolton are quite pleasant to where I was, most are well lit for starters. where I was was comparable to the in-between the two railway bridges at the Den. admittedly I was daft enough to presume that if I walked to wards the railway tracks I would soon find the station - I was infact going the wrong way.

this is where I ended up

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.59799 ... e0!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think it's what's called "an industrial estate". They're all over the place .... though maybe less in Berkshire.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:29 am

Kinty and I ended up somewhere v similar after that 7-1 game!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Can't blame Garvan for taking the penalty. Can blame others for not stepping up. Can blame Garvan for taking a poor penalty.

Attacking 4-4-2, light on tacklers, always going to concede possession. Imagine if Mavies had been in for Garvan.

Surprised we played such an open line-up. Not surprised DF gets blamed for it, although I'd rather lose 1-0 with an attacking 4-4-2 than with a defensive 4-5-1. Slightly surprised at the lack of comment on here. Maybe folk have given up. Can't blame 'em.

I remember us losing 1-0 not unexpectedly at Wolves then going unbeaten for 23 games. It'd be nice if that happened again.
I think we've been here before. 451 doesn't have to be defensive, 442 isn't necessarily attacking, especially if you can't get the ball with someone who can distribute it. I couldn't see from when you posted the team, who was going to do that...
No, quite - each formation depends on mindset as well as position. But if we'd only played one striker, he'd have got pelters - either for dropping Hat-Trick Hero Mason or playing him up top alone - so I was slightly surprised he went with two wingers too. Suppose Wolves play a wide 4-4-2 so he went man for man.

By the way, my Palace mole says Garvan can be a very good player - a "driving force" with "a good eye for a good range of passes", "as long as he's got someone to look after him". Maybe DF thought he and Spearing were that couple. (Lest ye think the Eagle is one-eyed, he described Ramage as "limited but solid", Paddy McCarthy as "good but always injured" and Moxey as "erm, well, he'll definitely try hard but he's a bit hopeless, especially positionally".)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Hard to get too angry about this one.

One of the favourites for promotion and haven't conceded a goal at home. Sounded like we edged it and on another day, could've walked away with at least a point..

File it under "one of those days"

Garvan though.. Jesus Christ
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:Hard to get too angry about this one.

One of the favourites for promotion and haven't conceded a goal at home. Sounded like we edged it and on another day, could've walked away with at least a point..

File it under "one of those days"

Garvan though.. Jesus Christ

"One of those days" has it's own filing cabinet....
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I think we've been here before. 451 doesn't have to be defensive, 442 isn't necessarily attacking, especially if you can't get the ball with someone who can distribute it. I couldn't see from when you posted the team, who was going to do that...
No, quite - each formation depends on mindset as well as position. But if we'd only played one striker, he'd have got pelters - either for dropping Hat-Trick Hero Mason or playing him up top alone - so I was slightly surprised he went with two wingers too. Suppose Wolves play a wide 4-4-2 so he went man for man.

By the way, my Palace mole says Garvan can be a very good player - a "driving force" with "a good eye for a good range of passes", "as long as he's got someone to look after him". Maybe DF thought he and Spearing were that couple. (Lest ye think the Eagle is one-eyed, he described Ramage as "limited but solid", Paddy McCarthy as "good but always injured" and Moxey as "erm, well, he'll definitely try hard but he's a bit hopeless, especially positionally".)
I think where my head was at, given Garvan's first performance, was that having either Mavies or Danns in the side in front of him, would probably have been a good thing.

I think our retention of possession started to improve when they came on (albeit one of them at the expense of Mason).

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:36 pm

The cop-out of a penalty was bad enough, but the follow-up miss even worse!

No need to get on Garvan's case over it, early days for him. But why is it left to the players to decide who takes it? They should know before the game to remove any uncertainty I'd have thought.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:30 pm

I don't think the penalty take thing is particularly bad (although it can be construed to be that Garvan had seniority over Mason who wanted to take it on the back of his hat-trick).

But it's just stunning that so many details are not ironed out.. Such as set pieces (for and against). We were led to believe that Dougloss was meticulous in his prep.. But it obviously doesn't seem to be the case.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"