Fulham:whether it be bestial oblivion or some Craven scruple

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fulham:whether it be bestial oblivion or some Craven scr

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 pm

My old man is working in London this week. Tried to persuade him to come to Fulham. His response, as a season ticket holder, 'you must be bloody joking'.

This game could see Dougie's Mark Robbins moment (though whether it's a 'Ferguson Mark Robbins moment' or a 'Huddersfield getting dicked by Bournemouth on the opening day Mark Robbins moment' remains to be seen!)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Anyone going from Bolton? Mate ordered tickets thinking they were printable but they are not and he needs them physically taking down there.

You and yer mates. Not good with tickets are we? ;)
Despite my expert advice they still get it wrong. :conf:

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 am

It's going to be 3 or 4 - 0 to Fulham.

Freedman will say that we came very close and if his strikers could score that we'd have won.

He won't be sacked.


bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 am

It's a difficult enough game in ordinary circumstances and one we have a poor record on anyway. Add the current mood and that Fulham dispensed with the mad bastard ruining them and, surprise surprise, managed a win last weekend and I see only one outcome.

Certainly we are not a robust enough outfit to deal with any setbacks even if we do have a phase when it goes well enough. Our issues currently are as much in the head as the feet.

So it's a game I'd normally expect us to struggle in. With all the current bollox on top a modest loss would almost be creditable in the overall. A pummeling would see Saturday's game have a properly negative attitude in the terraces. A win, extremely unlikely as that is, would confuse the bejeebers out of us.

We'll get battered.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 am

Him that they spent too much money on from Leeds? He'll come good tonight. I remember Zamora doing similar.

3-0. Hat trick for him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:12 am

Could be a tight 0-1. Or a baggy-arsed 0-3 collapse.

I wonder whether the fan reaction's now as important as the players' lack of it. Not that I'm rabble-rousing - I've seen some shit managers and never quite had it in me to spend the match standing there hating - but you definitely get the impression Coyle got longer because the customers weren't revolting.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Him that they spent too much money on from Leeds? He'll come good tonight. I remember Zamora doing similar.

3-0. Hat trick for him.
This has the dreadful ring of truth to it... although...

I recall a few seasons back, playing Manchester City (whatever became of them?) when Mark Hughes (their manager at the time) was under pressure, as was our own Ginger Mourinho. Each needed a performance from his players to secure his position. Surprisingly, it was Megson who got it. Our lads put in a fighting show and we won 2-0. Hughes was down the road soon after, while Megson clung on.

Tonight we find out if this bunch are up to do something similar to save Freedman's neck.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:38 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:I recall a few seasons back, playing Manchester City (whatever became of them?) when Mark Hughes (their manager at the time) was under pressure, as was our own Ginger Mourinho. Each needed a performance from his players to secure his position. Surprisingly, it was Megson who got it. Our lads put in a fighting show and we won 2-0. Hughes was down the road soon after, while Megson clung on.
I remember that game too. They left three players up at corners, we left none.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:I recall a few seasons back, playing Manchester City (whatever became of them?) when Mark Hughes (their manager at the time) was under pressure, as was our own Ginger Mourinho. Each needed a performance from his players to secure his position. Surprisingly, it was Megson who got it. Our lads put in a fighting show and we won 2-0. Hughes was down the road soon after, while Megson clung on.

Drat! Another one of my pet theories blown out of the water! :oops:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:50 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
About not leaving players up? Those who, ah, defend it say there's statistical evidence to prove it stems the flow of goals from set-pieces, although I'd always say it leaves you in peril of being hemmed in.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
About not leaving players up? Those who, ah, defend it say there's statistical evidence to prove it stems the flow of goals from set-pieces, although I'd always say it leaves you in peril of being hemmed in.
Correct.

These stats only focus on the first phase. They don't look at the resultant pressure which can't be prevented as there's no way to prevent it short of a ne dead-ball.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Wild optimism more than anything but we'll scrape it 3-2.

Or it'll be a dull 0-0. Can I do that?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Aaaah. "it's coming together ... there are very fine lines .... very unlucky ... but a strong bunch of characters .... we're very close .... we need some more loan players to give us a lift ... expectations can add pressure ... the fans are disappointed because we lost a game of football ... but we're not too far away performance-wise ...".

Quotes ? You want quotes ??

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/10/01 ... olton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm

You have to admit Dougie makes excuses with real conviction and panache. So calm and dispassionate. You could almost be forgiven for thinking he believes it all. If he'd been in charge of the Winston Churchill speeches, why, we might even have lost the war..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:32 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Correct.

These stats only focus on the first phase. They don't look at the resultant pressure which can't be prevented as there's no way to prevent it short of a ne dead-ball.
In my naivety, I had reasoned that leaving two up must oblige the attacking team to leave three (or even four?) back. Similarly, leaving three up surely must occupy their back four? The final element in my thinking was that, the more space there is in the penalty area at corners, the more chance for the keeper to come and claim any cross. Obviously doesn't work that way or the tactical genii of professional football would be doing it already...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Aaaah. "it's coming together ... there are very fine lines .... very unlucky ... but a strong bunch of characters .... we're very close .... we need some more loan players to give us a lift ... expectations can add pressure ... the fans are disappointed because we lost a game of football ... but we're not too far away performance-wise ...".

Quotes ? You want quotes ??

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/10/01 ... olton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
owen coyle, owen coyle, owen owen coyle

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:57 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I remember that game too. They left three players up at corners, we left none.
Correct.

In my naivety, I had reasoned that leaving two up must oblige the attacking team to leave three (or even four?) back. Similarly, leaving three up surely must occupy their back four? The final element in my thinking was that, the more space there is in the penalty area at corners, the more chance for the keeper to come and claim any cross. Obviously doesn't work that way or the tactical genii of professional football would be doing it alreay...
It does ... and it's just a fashion and will revert over time.

Look, in a World where normally capable people think that Mark Rothko is a painter it's clear you CAN fool some of the people some of the time.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Fancy us having a narrow win tonight.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 pm

These stats only focus on the first phase. They don't look at the resultant pressure which can't be prevented as there's no way to prevent it short of a ne dead-ball.[/quote]In my naivety, I had reasoned that leaving two up must oblige the attacking team to leave three (or even four?) back. Similarly, leaving three up surely must occupy their back four? The final element in my thinking was that, the more space there is in the penalty area at corners, the more chance for the keeper to come and claim any cross. Obviously doesn't work that way or the tactical genii of professional football would be doing it alreay...[/quote]It does ... and it's just a fashion and will revert over time.

Look, in a World where normally capable people think that Mark Rothko is a painter it's clear you CAN fool some of the people some of the time.[/quote]

Cheeky bugger! The Philistines are taking over the asylum... :whack:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:01 pm

jaffka wrote:Fancy us having a narrow win tonight.

Dougie's pre-match teamtalk?