Something to think about.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Something to think about.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:43 pm

D.S.B trots out some Dougie facts for your perusal:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/fr ... est-fellas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Something to think about.

Post by twilight » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Good reading that....But I might be wrong, was Tim Ream not Owen Coyle's little Godsend? :)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:10 pm

He was Coyle's signing but I think he's saying that it was Freedman who got the best out of him.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Aaaah, sorry!! Carry on :)

Baconsalat
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Baconsalat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Good reading, thumps up!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes, I enjoyed that. How come we're not top of the league? :D
DSB, don't suppose you have Doug's results stats to hand too?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:D.S.B trots out some Dougie facts for your perusal:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/fr ... est-fellas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't read the whole thing yet but the 'only a loanee' quip has already made it worth the trip. :pray:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 pm

More on Ream.

I have argued since he arrived that his best position is in front of the back four - breaking up play and distributing the ball. In short a (very) poor man's Campo. Freedman's shortcomings as a manager are summed up for me in the fact that he played Ream here once (against Doncaster) in a game we utterly controlled (and Ream was a success). To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't occupied that role since.

In a nutshell, it's one thing to be searching for the right formation, the best positions for your players, but not to be able to recognise when you happen to get it right, and so continue your tinkering ad infinitum...fatal.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:D.S.B trots out some Dougie facts for your perusal:

Good stuff, DSB...

But, IMHO... Spearing is better than Medo in the holding position... tho, for sure, there's no point having BOTH!

I'm with Youri that I'd like to see Ream in that position (and suspect full back injuries or inadequacies were the only thing preventing it, rather than DF illogicalities. In this, i admit, i may be entirely wrong).

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

One other thing, looking at DSB's list.

There's not much said in DF's defence these days (and understandably so), but it's worth pondering how different our league position (and our view of him) might be now, IF Eddie Davies (or those members of the board who seem just to turn up to take a fee from the club, rather than chip in) had bank-rolled him for Dawson, Jutkiewicz and Mason.

Isn't it just possible that, with those three on the books, our main worry would be that Mike Ashley (or equivalent) was aiming to tap up our 'talented young manager'?

As my little bro says, in football management, it may well be better to be lucky than to be good.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:27 am

Nice write up with one problem, not one of them w*nkers is would last 2 mins at the top of the championship never mind the Prem.

If these guys were any good

1. Why are they farmed out and not breaking records at the parent club?

2. Why are most of them like LL, all ex buddies, do they kiss the gaffers ass?

3 Freedman could be in charge at Barca and still play like an old fashioned Italian team filled with one legged ex sailors.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:40 am

Only a loanee ("Dum-dum-dum dummy-doo-wah" – Roy Orbison's backing singers) :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am

Tony - according to Wiki (I know) Freedman has just clocked up 100 games: W34 D33 L33. His win percentage is therefore 34%, fractionally lower than his 34.78% at Palace.

Will - Medo vs Spearing will continue to rumble but Medo was definitely a Freedman signing. I bent the rules a bit with Ream to prove a point that Freedman is capable of making players better - even if it's a player he would at one point have happily have driven to a new club to get his wages off the bill.

Youri - Ream has indeed filled in varying roles with varying success, but he's played in front of the back four more than once. There was a time near the beginning of last season when he would start there, then drop into the back four when DF brought a striker on for a centre-back after we went a goal behind - and that happened a lot. He started there against QPR at home (0-1, 24 Aug 13), Leeds at home (0-1, 14 Sep 2013) , Derby at home (2-2, 17 Sep 13) and Brighton away (1-3, 21 Sep 13) after which the experiment seems to have ended. When we played Doncaster at home later that season there were only three other defenders in our line-up (http://uk.women.soccerway.com/matches/2 ... c/1484254/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For the record I think Ream can do a job in front of the back four but not, I suspect, against better teams or in a game where we're under the cosh, as those results seem to bear witness.

But I will agree with Youri that finance has certainly spannered his (and our) hopes. I thought that the other day, watching Dawson mark Jutkiewicz in the Premier League. I know there are those who argue, with some merit, that Freedman has wasted some/much of the money he had, but it does feel awfully like he wasn't aware of the depth of our trouble. I don't think we were, either - I was one of many asking why we didn't just stump up the £1.5m for Spearing, and that may be the last significant outgoing for a while.

One other thing. I didn't intend to write this as a Freedman apologist; I'll say again, he's done lots wrong. In fact, I intended to also write a Freedman's Duffers piece, for which the options are legion: I'll leave that to someone else.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 am

Hoboh wrote:Nice write up with one problem, not one of them w*nkers is would last 2 mins at the top of the championship never mind the Prem.
Two of them played each other in the Prem this weekend.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Youri - Ream has indeed filled in varying roles with varying success, but he's played in front of the back four more than once. There was a time near the beginning of last season when he would start there, then drop into the back four when DF brought a striker on for a centre-back after we went a goal behind - and that happened a lot. He started there against QPR at home (0-1, 24 Aug 13), Leeds at home (0-1, 14 Sep 2013) , Derby at home (2-2, 17 Sep 13) and Brighton away (1-3, 21 Sep 13) after which the experiment seems to have ended. When we played Doncaster at home later that season there were only three other defenders in our line-up (http://uk.women.soccerway.com/matches/2 ... c/1484254/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For the record I think Ream can do a job in front of the back four but not, I suspect, against better teams or in a game where we're under the cosh, as those results seem to bear witness.

Hmmm...your memory is obviously better than mine on this Dave, but I was at all of those home games (not Brighton) and don't recall Ream being in the Campo role.

Still, I'm with you on the rest (and much else is forgiven for the 'only a loanee' pun!) :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Beefheart wrote:Only a loanee ("Dum-dum-dum dummy-doo-wah" – Roy Orbison's backing singers) :lol:
:lol: Just seen that. Deserves a gold star and Brownie points....Cracker...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:45 pm

With a loan or two in January we'll finish mid-table. Debt reduced a little. Release some players in the summer, get some more free transfers in. Onwards and upwards!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:Ream has indeed filled in varying roles with varying success, but he's played in front of the back four more than once. There was a time near the beginning of last season when he would start there, then drop into the back four when DF brought a striker on for a centre-back after we went a goal behind - and that happened a lot. He started there against QPR at home (0-1, 24 Aug 13), Leeds at home (0-1, 14 Sep 2013) , Derby at home (2-2, 17 Sep 13) and Brighton away (1-3, 21 Sep 13) after which the experiment seems to have ended. When we played Doncaster at home later that season there were only three other defenders in our line-up (http://uk.women.soccerway.com/matches/2 ... c/1484254/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Hmmm...your memory is obviously better than mine on this Dave, but I was at all of those home games (not Brighton) and don't recall Ream being in the Campo role. [/quote]I may be wrong - it has been known - but perusing the line-ups, in which there are four other defenders, suggests he was (or at least started) in front of the back four. I can't recall other defenders being played further forward, or us playing five at the back, from the start of any games under Freedman.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd ... bs=results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - go to 2013/14 and then click the 'i' button for cast-list...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:Ream has indeed filled in varying roles with varying success, but he's played in front of the back four more than once. There was a time near the beginning of last season when he would start there, then drop into the back four when DF brought a striker on for a centre-back after we went a goal behind - and that happened a lot. He started there against QPR at home (0-1, 24 Aug 13), Leeds at home (0-1, 14 Sep 2013) , Derby at home (2-2, 17 Sep 13) and Brighton away (1-3, 21 Sep 13) after which the experiment seems to have ended. When we played Doncaster at home later that season there were only three other defenders in our line-up (http://uk.women.soccerway.com/matches/2 ... c/1484254/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Hmmm...your memory is obviously better than mine on this Dave, but I was at all of those home games (not Brighton) and don't recall Ream being in the Campo role.
I may be wrong - it has been known - but perusing the line-ups, in which there are four other defenders, suggests he was (or at least started) in front of the back four. I can't recall other defenders being played further forward, or us playing five at the back, from the start of any games under Freedman.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd ... bs=results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - go to 2013/14 and then click the 'i' button for cast-list...[/quote]

Cheers, will do! :) Quite possibly, I only "saw" him playing there when he was doing what I wanted (i.e. making a go of it!)