Problems with Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Problems with Gartside

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:12 am

I said when Davies left the club that treating him in that way, which he perceived to be poor, could backfire on Freedman. Maybe players are wrong to react in the way they do and maybe Davies was treated perfectly fine, I don't know but I don't really think it matters either, because when a captain, or experienced squad members like Zat Knight, are unhappy with the way they've been treated then that's bound to have a negative effect on the rest of the squad regardless of how justified the action which made them unhappy was. Senior squad members are mentors and the younger players who've looked up to them, especially their captain, aren't going to turn against them when a new manager comes in and decides that he doesn't want to be sentimental. It doesn't matter whether Freedman was right or wrong, actions like that will undoubtedly bother some players and whilst I don't agree with treating them with kid gloves, a manager has to show some tact to keep the squad happy too.

Imagine the same scenario with Gerrard at Liverpool. Even when his legs have gone and he serves no on-field purpose, a manager would be crazy to discard him in a way which annoyed Gerrard because who are the players going to side with? A mentor for them, a friend and club legend or a tactless new manager? Whether the manager is right to get rid of them or not isn't the issue, if it'll affect club morale then it's the wrong decision and we saw, time and time again, Freedman do this to Bolton players who were well liked and respected. His man management skills were very poor and they contributed to him being such a massive failure.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:33 am

People don't like having their lucrative contracts ended. Among others, Campo and Djorkaeff complained about the way they were let go. Doesn't make the manager bad. (In this case, plenty else did.)

When the era of handing out friendly contracts ended, some knickers were always going to get bunched.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:People don't like having their lucrative contracts ended. Among others, Campo and Djorkaeff complained about the way they were let go. Doesn't make the manager bad. (In this case, plenty else did.)

When the era of handing out friendly contracts ended, some knickers were always going to get bunched.
Agree DSB we took approx 40% out of the wage bill between the 2012 and 2013 Accounts to go from £48m to £32m. I reckon we'll have aimed for a similar amount between 2013 and 2014. You don't generally slash the wage bill by 66% without a few noses going out of joint.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:04 am

It takes two to have a dignified exit and in some cases the player, or the club ... or both ... haven't really acted in the best way. It's OK saying it's a profession and it's just one of those things but Campo & Stelios for example left without ceremony and deserved better treatment. Not a new contract or the like just some dignity.

Djorkaev I've always felt was different. He was offered a new contract, dithered and looked around. When he didn't find anything better he returned to find the offer removed and pissed and moaned about it. He played poker and lost. Again, a man who's achievements meant he deserved dignity but that's two way and I'm less concerned.

Kevin Davies could and should have behaved better. Of course a great servant but he did seem to think he was owed an extra contract but he was gone as a player. His behaviours following that were poor.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

journojonesy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by journojonesy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:33 pm

You would tend to hope that if a player is left out towards the end of his contract it is for only one of two reasons:
A) He's done, so it isn't productive/proactive to play him
B) The player would be eligible for significant appearance/goals/clean sheet etc. type bonuses. Therefore it saves significant money in not playing them

I can't say I know the ins and outs of the contracts mentioned with any of the above, particularly Davies. However if a player is just left out to isolate them and make them want to leave...or just because the manager doesn't like them...I'd say that is extremely counterproductive.
Having managed/coached, I know from experience that, even if I vehmonently dislike a player who can do the business; he'll play.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Anybody else spotted this, posted on another BWFC fan website?

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/10/05 ... eover.html

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:08 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:Anybody else spotted this, posted on another BWFC fan website?

she of mighty shoulder-pads fame??

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:28 pm

She's worth £100m. Not inconsiderable, but her whole wealth is barely 2/3 of out debt. Maybe she'd bring others with more dosh but I'd not be getting over excited right now.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:29 pm

thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:Anybody else spotted this, posted on another BWFC fan website?

Aye, could be a good choice of chairwoman?
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:She's worth £100m. Not inconsiderable, but her whole wealth is barely 2/3 of out debt. Maybe she'd bring others with more dish but I'd not be getting over excited right now.
I was thinking that myself, then I remembered that ED was purportedly worth about 90m, but seems to have subbed rather more.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:50 pm

thebish wrote:

Indeed. Have been on Twittish to check and these are indeed her words. Some bloke later on says it would be the best news ever (or some such) if she took over, to which she responds 'better get on with it then'.

Of course, this may be just a rich woman having a laugh and as Bobo notes, she may not have enough financial clout (but may bring partners).

Three things worth bearing in mind - anyone who's on Dragons' Den is likely to see potential for ego stroking as boss of their local club, she IS already down as a fan of BWFC, and she may be testing the water to see what the popular reaction is to a rumoured takeover.

You'd imagine, with a new manager in the offing, this might be a time to show her hand and have input?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 pm

I doubt anybody will pay the full extent of E.D.s losses by some way. If he gets a decent offer to cut and run, and no positive signs of ever recouping his total losses, well, he's a businessman. and money in the bank or invested could do the rest in time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:29 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Three things worth bearing in mind - anyone who's on Dragons' Den is likely to see potential for ego stroking as boss of their local club, she IS already down as a fan of BWFC, and she may be testing the water to see what the popular reaction is to a rumoured takeover.

she isn't on Dragons Den anymore is she? didn't she get replaced by that ditzy airhead interior design floppet - Kelly Hoppen?

imagine someone coming on Dragons Den to sell the idea of investing in BWFC!! I'm oot! :D

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I doubt anybody will pay the full extent of E.D.s losses by some way. If he gets a decent offer to cut and run, and no positive signs of ever recouping his total losses, well, he's a businessman. and money in the bank or invested could do the rest in time.
Plus, up until July, he was raking in a very healthy 5% annual interest on the loan.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I doubt anybody will pay the full extent of E.D.s losses by some way. If he gets a decent offer to cut and run, and no positive signs of ever recouping his total losses, well, he's a businessman. and money in the bank or invested could do the rest in time.
I might have a few grand spare, reckon he might swallow that?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:32 pm

thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

she isn't on Dragons Den anymore is she? didn't she get replaced by that ditzy airhead interior design floppet - Kelly Hoppen?

imagine someone coming on Dragons Den to sell the idea of investing in BWFC!! I'm oot! :D

Dunno tbh, Bish (don't follow it these days). My point was that anyone who's been on there is likely to be more Dave Whelan/Delia Smith than Eddie Davies in terms of liking the limelight and the (potential) adulation of guiding the club to success.

You're definitely right about selling BWFC on the show - Evan Davies has more chance of getting them to invest in his "intimate" piercings business! :shock:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Dunno tbh, Bish (don't follow it these days). My point was that anyone who's been on there is likely to be more Dave Whelan/Delia Smith than Eddie Davies in terms of liking the limelight and the (potential) adulation of guiding the club to success.

You're definitely right about selling BWFC on the show - Evan Davies has more chance of getting them to invest in his "intimate" piercings business! :shock:
Fecking hell :shock: How'd you get from Hillary, to Evan to intimate piercings? :shock: :vomit:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Fecking hell :shock: How'd you get from Hillary, to Evan to intimate piercings? :shock: :vomit:
You started it, mate! :wink: Dragons' Den - presented by Evan Davies... (from The Telegraph feature on him)

'...his nickname is Tinsel Tits. His nipples are pierced, you see, and he is said to have a Prince Albert in the trouser department. He will neither confirm nor deny it, sensibly enough, and wryly avoids the question by describing himself as 'a man of mystery'.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:59 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

You started it, mate! :wink: Dragons' Den - presented by Evan Davies... (from The Telegraph feature on him)

'...his nickname is Tinsel Tits. His nipples are pierced, you see, and he is said to have a Prince Albert in the trouser department. He will neither confirm nor deny it, sensibly enough, and wryly avoids the question by describing himself as 'a man of mystery'.
Too much information. I think you can get arrested for that shit here :|

PS - I started nowt :P

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:06 pm

You're right. I started it. :twisted:

(I'm such a flibbertigibbet) :grin: