Problems with Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Problems with Gartside

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 pm

As a Chairman, he has overseen a six year decline at the club No other large company would have contemplated keeping a Chief Executive who took their business down the same route. Add in the fact that he has chosen 4 poor quality managers, allowed the present incumbent to bring with him a defensive coach who clearly has not had an impact in two years, but hasn't had the balls to sack him and for me, it's pitchfork time.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:The table doesn't lie
So Southampton and Swansea are bigger than Liverpool and Man United?
May not be bigger, but right now they are certainly better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:The table doesn't lie
So Southampton and Swansea are bigger than Liverpool and Man United?
May not be bigger, but right now they are certainly better.
Right now? Swansea haven't won a league game since August.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Can we agree that a twenty nine place difference probably suggests that Allardyce was the brains behind the operation?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:As a Chairman, he has overseen a six year decline at the club No other large company would have contemplated keeping a Chief Executive who took their business down the same route.
To build on this, I sort of wonder if the problem with Gartside is that his background is in business - what business is it anyway? He's always just referred to as a "businessman." In football, it's "what have you done for me lately?" Even Jose Mourinho gets sacked when results are underwhelming. But we've all seen completely useless executives at our companies who are inexplicably drawing a healthy salary. CEOs drive companies into the ground and get multi-million dollar golden parachutes. Sales people still hang around collecting dust 30 years after they last brought on a new client.

Gartside clearly thinks he's entitled to a six-figure salary even if he's done nothing to help the club in this century.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah, its bit silly keep harking back all the time.

I cooked a f*cking tip top Steak in 2009, what the f*ck are you moaning about? Honestly, you people have no gratitude.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:35 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Can we agree that a twenty nine place difference probably suggests that Allardyce was the brains behind the operation?
No, frankly. Having had some experience in the industry and spoken regularly at the time to both protagonists, I'd say that while Allardyce did a wonderful job of selling the club, Gartside did a vital job of closing the deals. To suggest by something as crass as league position a decade later that one is entirely responsible for all fine achievement and the other is a worthless bum-clinger is reductionist nonsense.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 pm

He's done himself no favours today by not binning Freeman though. Even people like me who feel, overall, his contribution has been good feel that he should have acted .... or, at the very least fckg spoken. This is awful.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Oh, for sure. He's presided over some shocking decisions, and this is merely the latest (although it may not be his decision: if ED don't wanna cough up the compo, PG can't fight the owner).

Maybe the situation isn't binary black-and-white good-and-evil. So maybe it's waste of effort discussing it online.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Oh, for sure. He's presided over some shocking decisions, and this is merely the latest (although it may not be his decision: if ED don't wanna cough up the compo, PG can't fight the owner).

Maybe the situation isn't binary black-and-white good-and-evil. So maybe it's waste of effort discussing it online.
Agreed .... but hiding is no solution. However difficult the scenario.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

cmbfc_90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cmbfc_90 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Question is will he be in attendance on Saturday, cause I feel most of the abuse will be aimed at him or Davies

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:41 pm

I hope to feck Davies doesn't get turned on. Jeez .... it's turned sour but what the guy's done needs respect not attacking.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:44 pm

it's a good job we're shite, winning football matches will only spoil some peoples favourite pastime of booing .

megson out !

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 pm

gartside's problem is he's took the jcl bedsheeters too literally when they say shit like "i'd rather be in division 4 with anyone than in the prem with megson" .

the fairweather ransoming bastards get their way but have given up miles to early for that to even come true.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:13 pm

a1 wrote:gartside's problem is he's took the jcl bedsheeters too literally when they say shit like "i'd rather be in division 4 with anyone than in the prem with megson" .

the fairweather ransoming bastards get their way but have given up miles to early for that to even come true.
I recognise that is in English. But what does it mean? :conf:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 pm

William the White wrote:
a1 wrote:gartside's problem is he's took the jcl bedsheeters too literally when they say shit like "i'd rather be in division 4 with anyone than in the prem with megson" .

The feckers who made bargains with the Football Gods, like that shown in red above, are the same JCL, fairweather fans who have pissed off now times have gotten tough. Therefore will never see the "in division 4 with anyone" part of the arrangement...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:37 pm

bobo the clown wrote:He's done himself no favours today by not binning Freeman though. Even people like me who feel, overall, his contribution has been good feel that he should have acted .... or, at the very least fckg spoken. This is awful.
is the repeated leaving out of the "d" some kind of ongoing bobo-protest? :D

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
William the White wrote:

The feckers who made bargains with the Football Gods, like that shown in red above, are the same JCL, fairweather fans who have pissed off now times have gotten tough. Therefore will never see the "in division 4 with anyone" part of the arrangement...
how many translators does a poster need?

still always that translators interpretation of pure and utter not worth it shite

#feckingutterwasterofspacedickheadposter - you will understand that wont you a1 - bury gambler

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:thought we'd done this topic a few weeks ago ....

anyway didn't garty bring eddie on board, who has financed the most succesful period this club is probably going to experience in our lifetimes

yeah - absolutely... a fact often neglected when the Garty-out banners are hastily crayonned!
That was about 16 years ago...
and which has seen us build a new stadium, training complex & been pretty successful

& in that 16 years we've not seen ED threaten to walk, demand his money back or otherwise be anything other than supportive. which all would suggest ED & PG have a pretty good working relationship
And just where the , do you think the club would be able to get 160 mill from if he did :hang: BWFC is an albatross crapping on Eddies head.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I don't understand what people expect Gartside to do, financially, to stop the decline.

We could advertise to sell the Club - with our £160m debt and FFP restrictions (which in fairness to Gartside didn't exist when we were spending most of the dosh). FFP was agreed in principal in 2009. We were £64m in debt at the time. It doesn't look like a "must buy" prospect.

We could, if we could turn the clock back, maybe not have the Bolton Galacticos, but I didn't hear a lot of grumbling on here when we were spending the cash and going on European jaunts. Everyone seemed (mainly) happy.

So at the moment, we have a sustainable level of debt (in the sense that ED isn't asking for it back at the moment), ED's still putting money in, but is limited as to how much he can put in, cos if we breach FFP by the upper threshold, then every £1 he puts in costs him £2.

If Gartside went, would ED trust anyone else to understand his tax position? I'm not sure he would - so I'm not convinced much will change in that department.

There is another possibility on Freedman - if we sack him now and we're going to breach FFP then whatever it cost us to get shut would effectively cost double. Maybe if we wait until January, then we could do it, without incurring the double bubble penalty - that's speculation on my part, but might have some substance to it...

The comparison of performance to a "normal business" is a strange one, whilst I agree with the sentiment, there'd be a lot out out of work Chairmen if we applied it to all football Clubs...