Freedman gone

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Freedman gone

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Under the impression pulis left palace primarily because he didnt want his chairman telling him who or who not to sign?
What has he got to lose by spending a couple of seasons at bolton?
We, re such a basket case that if he "fails" his reputation wont be too badly damaged
Succeeds in taking us back to close to where we should be and his capital is substantially increased for the big job that despite his success at palace is still going to elude him
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:33 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:Under the impression pulis left palace primarily because he didnt want his chairman telling him who or who not to sign?
What has he got to lose by spending a couple of seasons at bolton?
We, re such a basket case that if he "fails" his reputation wont be too badly damaged
Succeeds in taking us back to close to where we should be and his capital is substantially increased for the big job that despite his success at palace is still going to elude him
The bigger job he reckons he'll get. (And he's right).

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Well ... time will tell but I doubt at present he, ll get anything from say everton upwards. So what does he do? Scratch around the lower reaches of the prem trying to dodge the club that ends his never relegated rep? Or resurrect a bolton ?
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:54 pm

A year ago I'd maybe agree. Not a chance now. He'll be waiting for the new year and a prem team getting nervous and flirting someone for the 'never been relegated' guy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:20 am

Pulis would be ideal. Bolton for Pulis on the other hand, not so much. He won't come here.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:44 am

Pulis only went to Palace because they gave him a huge bonus for keeping them up. If he went there for £1m, would he come to us if we offered him a £2m promotion bonus? It'd be well worth it if he could deliver, which I'm sure he could. I don't know whether we'll be that ambitious but it's not impossible if he is money orientated and at least the infrastructure we've got is impressive, and it's what separates us from many other clubs in the Championship. The other thing to consider is that apart from Pardew, no manager in the Premier League is under much pressure and the Newcastle owner seems intent on keeping him, so if Pulis is waiting for a Premier League job, how long may he have to wait before a suitable position comes up? There'd be no pressure on him either so even if he did fail and left quickly, it wouldn't hurt his value as a manager.

It's unlikely but not impossible, so why not at least try? I'd say the same for Moyes too. I'd be 95% confident in him telling us to do one but I'd rather aim high and fail than accept a lesser manager without even trying.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:21 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:Pulis only went to Palace because they gave him a huge bonus for keeping them up. If he went there for £1m, would he come to us if we offered him a £2m promotion bonus? It'd be well worth it if he could deliver, which I'm sure he could. I don't know whether we'll be that ambitious but it's not impossible if he is money orientated and at least the infrastructure we've got is impressive, and it's what separates us from many other clubs in the Championship. The other thing to consider is that apart from Pardew, no manager in the Premier League is under much pressure and the Newcastle owner seems intent on keeping him, so if Pulis is waiting for a Premier League job, how long may he have to wait before a suitable position comes up? There'd be no pressure on him either so even if he did fail and left quickly, it wouldn't hurt his value as a manager.

It's unlikely but not impossible, so why not at least try? I'd say the same for Moyes too. I'd be 95% confident in him telling us to do one but I'd rather aim high and fail than accept a lesser manager without even trying.
Look, I've always said that the squad is better than evident under Dougie's reign but that is overly optimistic!
Mid table and someone who could sign and develop the right players maybe.....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _/?ref=mac

When asked if his players were good enough to get out of the bottom three, Freedman admitted: “It certainly doesn’t look like it.”

His comments are understood to have been viewed dimly from within the club, with owner Eddie Davies taking decisive action just two hours before he had been due to take his weekly press conference.
Took Eddie a while as Dougie has been moaning about his squad for ages..

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

When asked if his players were good enough to get out of the bottom three, Freedman admitted: “It certainly doesn’t look like it.”

His comments are understood to have been viewed dimly from within the club, with owner Eddie Davies taking decisive action just two hours before he had been due to take his weekly press conference.
Dead right. Assume it was just the comments being made when the fans were irate, next to bottom etc. Last time he really said it directly, he had the cover of the overpaid/ underperformer who he just had to get out of the door to make it all better.

More interesting in the article, are all the comments coming out about the atmosphere behind the scenes - sounds an unhappy ship. Seem to recall a few posters on here slapping down such suggestions during the duggie debates.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:23 am

I'm very keen to hear more about this squad unhappiness as it matches what I was picking up in snippets. Typically players goo Schtum but it seems the levels of dissatisfaction were deeper and more personal than normal.

Obviously players not playing or ones released are unhappy but this appears deeper. It may explain why he only seemed comfortable bringing in people he knew .... which suggests that he can create allies when he tries. I wonder how many of those will be off soon.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:45 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:Pulis only went to Palace because they gave him a huge bonus for keeping them up. If he went there for £1m, would he come to us if we offered him a £2m promotion bonus? It'd be well worth it if he could deliver, which I'm sure he could. I don't know whether we'll be that ambitious but it's not impossible if he is money orientated and at least the infrastructure we've got is impressive, and it's what separates us from many other clubs in the Championship. The other thing to consider is that apart from Pardew, no manager in the Premier League is under much pressure and the Newcastle owner seems intent on keeping him, so if Pulis is waiting for a Premier League job, how long may he have to wait before a suitable position comes up? There'd be no pressure on him either so even if he did fail and left quickly, it wouldn't hurt his value as a manager.

He'd have nothing to lose except his extreme employability. There's not a snowball's chance that there'll be no manager bar Pardew under pressure - especially while the great Houdini is available. If he came to us he'd be out of the limelight and out of the picture, just another struggling manager in a bastard league. Oh and just to reiterate: even to reach the play-off lottery we'd need 2ppg for the remaining 36 games.

I recognise and love that you want the best for our club, but Pulis is even more of a pipe-dream than promotion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:50 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Dead right. Assume it was just the comments being made when the fans were irate, next to bottom etc. Last time he really said it directly, he had the cover of the overpaid/ underperformer who he just had to get out of the door to make it all better.
He definitely crossed a line by saying the current squad - his squad - aren't good enough. As you say, previously he could complain about hangers-on and financial restrictions but this is almost entirely his squad now, so calling them ppm unfit for purpose was not only incredibly poor man-management but an effective admission of his own failure. He may have meant it as a gallows joke but if so it's somewhat fitting that his garrulousness prompted the axe.

Somewhat intriguing that Eddie didn't hear about the quote till Friday. Does he get his match report by carrier pigeon?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

He'd have nothing to lose except his extreme employability. There's not a snowball's chance that there'll be no manager bar Pardew under pressure - especially while the great Houdini is available. If he came to us he'd be out of the limelight and out of the picture, just another struggling manager in a bastard league. Oh and just to reiterate: even to reach the play-off lottery we'd need 2ppg for the remaining 36 games.

I recognise and love that you want the best for our club, but Pulis is even more of a pipe-dream than promotion.
Pure poetry. Plaudits. :pray:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:51 am

Will be interesting to see what comes out. It's certainly not the case that they *all* hated him, otherwise Juke and Dawson wouldn't have been so keen to come back. Plenty stories that more than a few did though. One of the names oft-mentioned is Lonergan, who came over to the fans on Wednesday with a weird shrug as if to say 'yeah, this is bollocks isn't it'. To DF's credit, he was waving the spineless f*ckers who tried to disappear down the tunnel over to the fans. Didn't come over himself though, for some reason.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:51 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

He definitely crossed a line by saying the current squad - his squad - aren't good enough. As you say, previously he could complain about hangers-on and financial restrictions but this is almost entirely his squad now, so calling them ppm unfit for purpose was not only incredibly poor man-management but an effective admission of his own failure. He may have meant it as a gallows joke but if so it's somewhat fitting that his garrulousness prompted the axe.

Somewhat intriguing that Eddie didn't hear about the quote till Friday. Does he get his match report by carrier pigeon?
I see the Bolton News are claiming credit though, as we know, the remarks were broadcast in a post-match interview on GMR. Could it be that Eddie, in three-legged land, didn't know until he saw BN online version?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:55 am

Prufrock wrote:Will be interesting to see what comes out. It's certainly not the case that they *all* hated him, otherwise Juke and Dawson wouldn't have been so keen to come back. Plenty stories that more than a few did though. One of the names oft-mentioned is Lonergan, who came over to the fans on Wednesday with a weird shrug as if to say 'yeah, this is bollocks isn't it'. To DF's credit, he was waving the spineless f*ckers who tried to disappear down the tunnel over to the fans. Didn't come over himself though, for some reason.

Interestingly it was Lonergan who was most irate about the (not quite) pitch invasions last Saturday. When the third lad was walking along the touchline conducting the Freedman Out chants, Lonergan came to the edge of his area to exchange heated words with him. At one point, he even seemed to be squaring up to the guy (in a 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough ' way).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:58 am

Think someone on here (maybe Boris) knows him or met him, and he was unimpressed for getting dropped for Bogdan every time he came back from injury, which until last time, when Bogdan looked the business, I'd have a lot of sympathy with. I like Lonners, but I don't think he's playing below his level!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:07 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Will be interesting to see what comes out. It's certainly not the case that they *all* hated him, otherwise Juke and Dawson wouldn't have been so keen to come back. Plenty stories that more than a few did though. One of the names oft-mentioned is Lonergan, who came over to the fans on Wednesday with a weird shrug as if to say 'yeah, this is bollocks isn't it'. To DF's credit, he was waving the spineless f*ckers who tried to disappear down the tunnel over to the fans. Didn't come over himself though, for some reason.

Interestingly it was Lonergan who was most irate about the (not quite) pitch invasions last Saturday. When the third lad was walking along the touchline conducting the Freedman Out chants, Lonergan came to the edge of his area to exchange heated words with him. At one point, he even seemed to be squaring up to the guy (in a 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough ' way).
I saw that too on Saturday. I think the difference might have been, our fans on the pitch could lead to sanctions, points deductions etc. Lonergan after the match saying he thinks the Manager's a Muppet won't although he could've been fined off Dougie.

I think the third "invader " was one of the original two, but could be wrong...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:23 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:I see the Bolton News are claiming credit though, as we know, the remarks were broadcast in a post-match interview on GMR. Could it be that Eddie, in three-legged land, didn't know until he saw BN online version?
It was BN writer Marc Iles interviewing him with Dearden, Iles asked the final question about whether he had good enough players to stay up after Dearden kept repeating himself. Freedman replied, 'doesn't look like it does it?' They then used that as the headline.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:I see the Bolton News are claiming credit though, as we know, the remarks were broadcast in a post-match interview on GMR. Could it be that Eddie, in three-legged land, didn't know until he saw BN online version?
It was BN writer Marc Iles interviewing him with Dearden, Iles asked the final question about whether he had good enough players to stay up after Dearden kept repeating himself. Freedman replied, 'doesn't look like it does it?' They then used that as the headline.

Thanks for this, Lever. Credit to Iles then.