Freedman gone

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Freedman gone

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Will be interesting to see what comes out. It's certainly not the case that they *all* hated him, otherwise Juke and Dawson wouldn't have been so keen to come back. Plenty stories that more than a few did though. One of the names oft-mentioned is Lonergan, who came over to the fans on Wednesday with a weird shrug as if to say 'yeah, this is bollocks isn't it'. To DF's credit, he was waving the spineless f*ckers who tried to disappear down the tunnel over to the fans. Didn't come over himself though, for some reason.

Interestingly it was Lonergan who was most irate about the (not quite) pitch invasions last Saturday. When the third lad was walking along the touchline conducting the Freedman Out chants, Lonergan came to the edge of his area to exchange heated words with him. At one point, he even seemed to be squaring up to the guy (in a 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough ' way).
I saw that too on Saturday. I think the difference might have been, our fans on the pitch could lead to sanctions, points deductions etc. Lonergan after the match saying he thinks the Manager's a Muppet won't although he could've been fined off Dougie.

I think the third "invader " was one of the original two, but could be wrong...
Think you might be right on both.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Surely you're in a minority of 3 (you being one of them) that couldn't see how terrible it was. Stating the bleeding obvious is not a crime, I don't think.
what were the "in coyle we trust"-ers watching all that time ? why couldnt they see 'how terrible it was' ?

dont see how sly digs at the club help, not extending a playing contract isnt a crime neither.

theyre (bolton are) not in 'the media' unless someone's shit stirring , either they should say what went on , or shut up. from former players too. imagine if fecking megson or some other bastard we all hate said it.

fecking wankers

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:39 pm

One or two things that were said on here seem to tally with the remarks in the BN. Surprised Fullerton hasn't been fecked off as well if they're accurate
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:Pulis only went to Palace because they gave him a huge bonus for keeping them up. If he went there for £1m, would he come to us if we offered him a £2m promotion bonus? It'd be well worth it if he could deliver, which I'm sure he could. I don't know whether we'll be that ambitious but it's not impossible if he is money orientated and at least the infrastructure we've got is impressive, and it's what separates us from many other clubs in the Championship. The other thing to consider is that apart from Pardew, no manager in the Premier League is under much pressure and the Newcastle owner seems intent on keeping him, so if Pulis is waiting for a Premier League job, how long may he have to wait before a suitable position comes up? There'd be no pressure on him either so even if he did fail and left quickly, it wouldn't hurt his value as a manager.

It's unlikely but not impossible, so why not at least try? I'd say the same for Moyes too. I'd be 95% confident in him telling us to do one but I'd rather aim high and fail than accept a lesser manager without even trying.
He'd have nothing to lose except his extreme employability. There's not a snowball's chance that there'll be no manager bar Pardew under pressure - especially while the great Houdini is available. If he came to us he'd be out of the limelight and out of the picture, just another struggling manager in a bastard league. Oh and just to reiterate: even to reach the play-off lottery we'd need 2ppg for the remaining 36 games.

I recognise and love that you want the best for our club, but Pulis is even more of a pipe-dream than promotion.
Oh, I agree that neither is likely to happen, although I would argue that us finishing in the top 6 if Pulis was our manager would be smaller odds than you'd have got for Palace finishing in the top half last season. I don't think either is likely at all though but I just think we should aim as high as possible because we've got nothing to lose. With promotion as the target over the next few seasons, we should be offering large bonuses to candidates and that sort of financial reward gives us more of a chance with managers who we currently see as being out of our depth.

I'm definitely a proponent of aiming high though. If they say "no chance", so be it, but at least aim high rather than accept less than what we can get. I highly doubt Pulis would come here but what's the harm in offering him a fat contract with double the bonus Palace gave him for keeping them up? He'd likely still say no but at least there'd be an incentive for him.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:10 pm

if Pulis was our manager

I'd rather watch bowls

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Go on, then.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Phil Brown has gone odds-on at two bookies. Someone know something we don't?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Phil Brown has gone odds-on at two bookies. Someone know something we don't?
I spotted that too. Can't say that appointment would thrill me. He's doing okay at Southend, though.

Suspect, it may be a few folk having a punt (and maybe Brownie has whispered in a Southend eatery he'd be up for it.)

I hope the club take their time - international break (and I don't mind if they take longer than that) to find the right man.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Phil Brown has gone odds-on at two bookies. Someone know something we don't?
I spotted that too. Can't say that appointment would thrill me. He's doing okay at Southend, though.

Suspect, it may be a few folk having a punt (and maybe Brownie has whispered in a Southend eatery he'd be up for it.)

I hope the club take their time - international break (and I don't mind if they take longer than that) to find the right man.
It could actually be Browny having a punt :-)

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

It could actually be Browny having a punt :-)
As long as the sun bed doesn't interfere with his phone signal, he could be killing two birds with one stone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Not my choice. Nothing against the man but we need something more.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Yeah I don't want Brown in charge, He's a nice guy don't get me wrong, but I don't think we need a nice guy tbh.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:41 pm

If Brown keeps up his push and we drop, we'll play Southend next season. Pointless him dropping a possible success for a possible failure. Now if the Dragon leaves her den and takes over, who knows who may or may not happen. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Gravedigger wrote:If Brown keeps up his push and we drop, we'll play Southend next season. Pointless him dropping a possible success for a possible failure. Now if the Dragon leaves her den and takes over, who knows who may or may not happen. 8)
I'm not sure what folks believe the Dragon could actually do? :-)

If she put £100m in, she'd have to pay about £80m in fines and we'd be on a transfer embargo...

So not sure what she'd actually solve, short term...

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Could she get it for a peppercorn with a private undertaking with Eddie to repay him. I'm not sure, not a feckin clue in fact. How do the big BIG teams get away with spending millions and seem to get no penalties but as soon as we get a few bob, buy a player and come close to getting fined? Is this FFP not for the prem? 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Gravedigger wrote:Could she get it for a peppercorn with a private undertaking with Eddie to repay him. I'm not sure, not a feckin clue in fact. How do the big BIG teams get away with spending millions and seem to get no penalties but as soon as we get a few bob, buy a player and come close to getting fined? Is this FFP not for the prem? 8)
No - Citeh had to cough 49m this season...in fines iirc.

We can spend up to £8m above our Revenue without paying a significant fine (see Citeh proportions above) - our Revenue was £34m last year - we made a loss of £50m. So it cost us 83 to make 34. This season I think the 34 goes down quite a lot (possibly South of 20) That means we have to cut our costs by 63m compared to last year...or 55m to be within the 8m you can go over without penalty.

Unless she has a magic wand to cure our Revenue, then we're pretty much stuffed (regardless of the debt side of the equation)...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 am

To all the people wishing Freedman 'all the best', after Sat just how much damage this w*nker has done to the club became evident, all the best? No Freedman I wouldn't wish you upon any other football team!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:01 am

Hoboh wrote:To all the people wishing Freedman 'all the best', after Sat just how much damage this w*nker has done to the club became evident, all the best? No Freedman I wouldn't wish you upon any other football team!
Not even Wigan, Blackburn, Burnley or Man U?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 am

malcd1 wrote:
Hoboh wrote:To all the people wishing Freedman 'all the best', after Sat just how much damage this w*nker has done to the club became evident, all the best? No Freedman I wouldn't wish you upon any other football team!
Fair point, well made. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
Fair point, well made. :-)
Mine or his? :mrgreen: