Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Who could we get that would "capture the imagination" ?

We need solid, capable & experienced. I'd fear a reaction if it was Mackay just because of the fact that some large section would go onto the attack due to recent revelations. There are decent number who would fit the general bill.

I'll admit to thinking "really ?" when Rioch was appointed. I was delighted with Coyle's selection. I remember seeing the negative reaction to Megson and thinking how unreasonable that was. I came on here when we got Freedman and made the comprehensive response of "Meh !" which sort of summed up my view.

It is a bit of a lottery, like all recruitment, but the main thing is not to make obvious errors.

Talking of which I see Di Canio is reported to have chucked his hat in the ring. To quote a former boss of mine when a guy came over to us and said "Denis ... just to say I'm chucking my hat in the ring for that job vacancy". He looked up and between puffs on his fag said "You do that Ralph. I'll just pick it up and toss it right back out again !"

He taught me a lot did Denis.
Put it this way - Gartside better have as much sense as Denis.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 pm

William the White wrote:

We need solid, capable & experienced. I'd fear a reaction if it was Mackay just because of the fact that some large section would go onto the attack due to recent revelations. There are decent number who would fit the general bill.

I'll admit to thinking "really ?" when Rioch was appointed. I was delighted with Coyle's selection. I remember seeing the negative reaction to Megson and thinking how unreasonable that was. I came on here when we got Freedman and made the comprehensive response of "Meh !" which sort of summed up my view.

It is a bit of a lottery, like all recruitment, but the main thing is not to make obvious errors.

Talking of which I see Di Canio is reported to have chucked his hat in the ring. To quote a former boss of mine when a guy came over to us and said "Denis ... just to say I'm chucking my hat in the ring for that job vacancy". He looked up and between puffs on his fag said "You do that Ralph. I'll just pick it up and toss it right back out again !"

You say that, but imagine this - Di Canio with Campo as his righthand man! Sold? :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
William the White wrote:

You say that, but imagine this - Di Canio with Campo as his righthand man! Sold? :wink:
I am trying to keep that well away from my imagination, which I hope to preserve for future use... :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:35 am

Jugs wrote:I'd back Mowbray - I'd back any manager we appointed (well, to a degree). But we all have our own personal preferences I guess, and guys we'd rather we avoided. I suppose the best thing to avoid is hiring someone like Megson again, who was on a hiding to nothing from day one because no one, it seemed, wanted him.

My personal feeling right now is I'd like someone who can capture the imagination. A Mowbray or a Hughton doesn't strike me as being of that mould, but like I said, I'd get behind whoever is in charge because, at the end of the day, he'd be one of us.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Some would excite me more than others, some would worry me more than others, some would have me watching through my fingers awaiting disaster, but they'd all be responsible for the club I love.

Mowbray? I'm not as against him as some seem to be. I suspect his biggest plus is that he wants to Play Good Football, but isn't that one of two main reasons we went for Coyle?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:32 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jugs wrote:I'd back Mowbray - I'd back any manager we appointed (well, to a degree). But we all have our own personal preferences I guess, and guys we'd rather we avoided. I suppose the best thing to avoid is hiring someone like Megson again, who was on a hiding to nothing from day one because no one, it seemed, wanted him.

My personal feeling right now is I'd like someone who can capture the imagination. A Mowbray or a Hughton doesn't strike me as being of that mould, but like I said, I'd get behind whoever is in charge because, at the end of the day, he'd be one of us.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Some would excite me more than others, some would worry me more than others, some would have me watching through my fingers awaiting disaster, but they'd all be responsible for the club I love.

Mowbray? I'm not as against him as some seem to be. I suspect his biggest plus is that he wants to Play Good Football, but isn't that one of two main reasons we went for Coyle?
I feel like we need another Rioch - but can't see one out there, so I'll take anyone* who can stop the slide, repair the schism with the fans and help us believe the future is positive (I'm willing to allow that a return to the Prem might be several years away...but wouldn't it be nice to follow Swansea's footballing path, for example?)

As for Coyle, I still hold that inflexibility was his problem. I haven't forgotten the relief/joy when he replaced Megson nor some splendid times when we were a pleasure to watch (albeit they were short-lived). If he'd stayed in charge, would we be higher or lower in the football rankings than we are now? I really don't know.

* anyone except MacKay (won't rehash my objections).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:42 am

EverSoYouri wrote: I feel like we need another Rioch - but can't see one out there...

the original 100% real one is still out there... he's only 67 - just saying, like! 8)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:14 am

But like Coyle, he hasn't got a clue on how to get there! Beyond telling them all to attack. Which might work short term, but long term ends up with a squad full of Martin Petrovs. Mowbray is the one out of all of them I'm most against I think.

If he gets it, of course I'll get behind him though. Mackay is the only one I think I'd struggle a bit with on that front. Doesn't matter how shit you are beforehand, once you're here you're a white. (Though patience can run thin, Darren).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:23 am

Heh - agreed. Some of us have more patience than others, and all of us would have differing degrees of patience with the same bloke. That's the triumph of free will.

Must admit I don't know much about Mowbray except when we've played his teams. Very tempting to do some research/crowdsourcing on the potential new men but it feels like there's too many of the buggers, I'd spend all week on it...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:11 am

Do some proper work!

Lazy boy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 am

Enoch wrote:Do some proper work!

Lazy boy.
My appetite for that can be judged by the promptness of this response.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:03 am

Lazy boy.
I've seen how dexterous you youngsters can be around a keyboard. I've no doubt you've put a few thousand words down already this morning.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:26 am

Enoch wrote:

Lazy boy.
I've seen how dexterous you youngsters can be around a keyboard. I've no doubt you've put a few thousand words down already this morning.
A few hundred perhaps, but my job's more about correcting the words of others these days.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Personally, I'm most excited about Lennon.. No idea why. Just an inkling
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Over 20 managers have applied for the vacancy now. Not surprising really, The only way is up and if someone gets us out of this mess they will be hailed as a hero whoever it is.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Yeah, but "who would come to Bolton Wanderers"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:Yeah, but "who would come to Bolton Wanderers"
Only Souness, O'Leary and Dowie if memory serves correctly...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:Personally, I'm most excited about Lennon.. No idea why. Just an inkling
Yeah, I'm coming round to that way of thinking too. It might be because I didn't think he'd fancy it and there will be a bit of kudos in appointing him. Whether he'd be any good or not - who knows?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Even though he would be linked with bigger and better jobs if he makes a good go of it, I have to admit I'm warming to Lennon rather than "a Brian McDermott" (sorry Brian, but you know the type). Thing is, there's a lot of unemployed managers. Of course Di Canio would love the job, he's banging on every closed door.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

boltonboris wrote:Personally, I'm most excited about Lennon.. No idea why. Just an inkling

This....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Yeah, I'm coming round to that way of thinking too. It might be because I didn't think he'd fancy it and there will be a bit of kudos in appointing him. Whether he'd be any good or not - who knows?
I really don't know about Lennon... would he flood the club with scots-league imports on the basis that they did ok up there so must be good?

he's only ever managed one club - and the one thing people seem consistent in asking for is experience of the championship...

I wonder if the excitement over him beinmg in the frame (which, if I am honest, I share to some degree) is simply because he's the best known - a "name" if you like?