Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 am

Don't really see that the current temporary incumbents are a bad thing. If Jimmy Phillips is to take over as manager then it would seem prudent that he applies like the rest rather than straight forward nepotism.

Wouldn't mind Phil Brown getting the job to be honest. Was probably the ideal guy to take over when Big Sam left but due to timing didn't quite work out (IIRC he was at Hull at the time).

We should be able to attract a fairly decent number of potential managers irregardless of where we are financially at the minute. Whether they'll be any good is a different matter entirely.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:08 am

The managerial team for tomorrow strikes me as 2 fingers to the fans from Phil.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:28 am

Jimmy seemed reluctant last time and I suspect he told Garty he'd rather not, but would if there was no other option. All the temp guys need to do is pick a balanced 11 (yeah I know) and tell them to play football (if they can remember how). I mean, my 98 year old Gran could get them doing better than recent matches.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:51 am

LeverEnd wrote:The managerial team for tomorrow strikes me as 2 fingers to the fans from Phil.

Agreed. Kind of 'you want Dougie out? Well this is the only pot we have to piss in now'

The next manager has to be a number of things:
a) Consistent
b) Respected
c) Popular
d) Instantly effective

Should be interesting to see who can fulfil all those criteria.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:10 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Jimmy seemed reluctant last time and I suspect he told Garty he'd rather not, but would if there was no other option. All the temp guys need to do is pick a balanced 11 (yeah I know) and tell them to play football (if they can remember how). I mean, my 98 year old Gran could get them doing better than recent matches.
^ voice of sanity! do people really give 2 shits who manages us temporarily? whether it's one member of the BWFC current staff or another?? For months folk have been saying that pretty much anyone could do a better job with this squad than Freedman - and here we are! People seem to have come over all picky all of a sudden!!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:19 am

Temp appointment.

Save your disappointment for the real one.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:26 am

LeverEnd wrote:The managerial team for tomorrow strikes me as 2 fingers to the fans from Phil.
This implies Gartside still cares, which I think is inaccurate.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:47 am

I just think they haven't got much options in the backroom staff. This is just a stopgap...I hope

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 am

twilight wrote:

I just think they haven't got much options in the backroom staff. This is just a stopgap...I hope
Could it not be that there's a bit of a split amongst the players between those who were dead against Dougie and those who were Dougie 'sympathisers', and that perhaps these two are considered the most 'neutral' of those left?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:35 am

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/lee- ... 87940.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Sheet. This could be an unmitigated disaster
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:51 am

It's quite possible that JP and Lee were viewed as the ghosts of Bolton past, and didn't really get a look in. It sounds that this might be the case from the murmurings. I think Bobes raises a fair point, that this may point to why we got lots of really shit players that Freedman had worked with before. Smacks of desparate insecurity and not managing to land the fact that you're the boss, in a credible manner.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:53 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/lee- ... 87940.aspx?

Sheet. This could be an unmitigated disaster
Well I guess the positives are that Captain Calamity is gone, as is his tactical genius and totally not a yes man number 2, along with the defensive coach who has probably seen us ship more goals across the past two years than any previous. Although with these two being part of his set up too I am grasping at straws here.
Could be that Jimmy has said "don't make me Interim because I'd like the job?" or maybe it'll facilitate getting a new manager in as quick as possible?

Also clutching at straws here
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:59 am

At least that's sort of explained why it's those two: they have been there at training so they know who's looking good, or at least less calamitous than others. Jimmy, Didsy etc would be a fresh start but will presumably have been kid-coaching. There's not just a power vacuum but something of a knowledge gap.

Couple of other things. Don't let the temps worry you, certainly not to the extent of replacing the relief we must surely all feel that DF has gone. This too will pass, but that already has.

And for the record, I'm with Pru: go for someone with lower-league knowledge and something to prove, rather than someone who once managed in a top flight we're miles away from.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:At least that's sort of explained why it's those two: they have been there at training so they know who's looking good, or at least less calamitous than others. Jimmy, Didsy etc would be a fresh start but will presumably have been kid-coaching. There's not just a power vacuum but something of a knowledge gap.

Couple of other things. Don't let the temps worry you, certainly not to the extent of replacing the relief we must surely all feel that DF has gone. This too will pass, but that already has.

And for the record, I'm with Pru: go for someone with lower-league knowledge and something to prove, rather than someone who once managed in a top flight we're miles away from.
Given when the news broke, I think this probably explains the Hughes/Turner thing. Whether or not JP is interested in the job, he might baulk at the idea of being lumbered with selecting a team between Friday afternoon and Saturday lunchtime, without any chance to work with/take a look at them.

International break allows either time for a replacement to be found or for Jimmy to take over the ropes in a more thorough and organised way, even if it is to be temporary.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:At least that's sort of explained why it's those two: they have been there at training so they know who's looking good, or at least less calamitous than others. Jimmy, Didsy etc would be a fresh start but will presumably have been kid-coaching. There's not just a power vacuum but something of a knowledge gap.

Yep, somebody with the knowledge of where the next Vardy (though not quite at a £1m!) or Gayle is coming from.

It also needs to be someone who can put an arm around and get the best out of Mark Davies, to an extent Lee, and certainly Boggers given his contract situation.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 pm

We've just had someone with lower league knowledge and something to prove...In fact the last two appointments fell into that bracket.

I'm sure there's no set formula, I think Wigan are seeing some of this season, how we saw last, FFP + declining Revenues = huge cut in spend. Freedman has just taken the brunt of that. I reckon we need someone a little older and wiser if we can get them. I am worried how much Mowbray has come in, in the betting, though!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Which lower-league clubs did either of the last two manage?

I suppose I'd like someone on the up wo can take us with him, rather than the same-old same-old, of which Mowbray is a fine example.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Whoever it is their first task will be to find a way of getting performances out of what he has at his disposal. Dougie's tiny squad (said only last week) and his gaggle of ex Palace players and those who couldn't abide him and the youngsters he set great store by despite rarely giving opportunities.

I still believe that's a half decent squad just totally misdirected and ill led.

... oh, & find some saps willing to sign Trotter.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Which lower-league clubs did either of the last two manage?

I suppose I'd like someone on the up wo can take us with him, rather than the same-old same-old, of which Mowbray is a fine example.
I'd like that too. It might be harder to find and I wouldn't really want it at the expense of staying up. If we were in this position when we appointed Coyle (who was a lower league manager for all but 15? Games when we appointed him), and the choice had been Coyle or (for arguments sake) McCarthy, then I'd probably have gone for McCarthy.

Mowbray, I'm not convinced by.

But I'd probably be more convinced by Clough (managed nearly 1000 matches) than say Flitcroft (managed less than 100)

I think that in the short term, you know what you're going to get is more important.

Coyle had managed 15? Games in the Prem and Burnley were only heading in one direction when he left. Most of his signings were lower league too. I count Coyle as League 1/Champoinship at best, Manager.

I also want someone who isn't the same age as half our squad.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Which lower-league clubs did either of the last two manage?

I'd like that too. It might be harder to find and I wouldn't really want it at the expense of staying up. If we were in this position when we appointed Coyle (who was a lower league manager for all but 15? Games when we appointed him), and the choice had been Coyle or (for arguments sake) McCarthy, then I'd probably have gone for McCarthy.

Mowbray, I'm not convinced by.

But I'd probably be more convinced by Clough (managed nearly 1000 matches) than say Flitcroft (managed less than 100)

I think that in the short term, you know what you're going to get is more important.

Coyle had managed 15? Games in the Prem and Burnley were only heading in one direction when he left. Most of his signings were lower league too. I count Coyle as League 1/Champoinship at best, Manager.

I also want someone who isn't the same age as half our squad.
To attempt to prevent continued talking at cross purposes, Worthy, I think you and DSB are working with different notions of 'lower league'. You seem to mean 'lower than the Premiership' whereas he seems to have in mind 'lower than where we are now'.

I don't mind you two disagreeing, but I think more progress can be made if we can all agree what you're disagreeing about. :wink: