Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:36 pm

thebish wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Does anyone seriously give a crap about the Mackay thing? Surely every player in that locker room has something on his phone that would bar him from any future employment if it were released in the press by a vindictive lunatic.
really?? you think every player has racist/homophobic/sexist or some-kind-of-hate-texts on their phone such as would bar them from employment if it were known??? really??
A large number of footballers are morons, so I'd say there is SOMETHING on there that would get them black listed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:42 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Does anyone seriously give a crap about the Mackay thing? Surely every player in that locker room has something on his phone that would bar him from any future employment if it were released in the press by a vindictive lunatic.
really?? you think every player has racist/homophobic/sexist or some-kind-of-hate-texts on their phone such as would bar them from employment if it were known??? really??
A large number of footballers are morons, so I'd say there is SOMETHING on there that would get them black listed.
Whilst indelicately put, and with no notion of whether they're false or not, I suspect that quite a few folks could be persuaded to have a bounce on them...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:45 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:

You may well be right about that last observation. I don't think that's the point. This man is a manager -representing a club.

All of the texts quoted are work-related (not just private banter). Are you seriously suggesting this club - which has signed up to and publicly supported the Kick It Out campaign, should turn a blind eye to what is clearly not one isolated incident?

I'll say this for him, though. He's not biased in his prejudice. Maybe coming to Bolton (Amir Khan and all) he could add 'Pakis' to the list of those he doesn't like?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:50 pm

maybe i am being naive - it's certainly possible - but I am not buying the idea that every footballer has some kind of a series of hate-texts on his phone - or that they are all morons.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:
Whilst indelicately put, and with no notion of whether they're false or not, I suspect that quite a few folks could be persuaded to have a bounce on them...
:lol:

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:55 pm

I'd be going for Neil Lennon if he was up for it, regardless of what people think of the SPL, it's his European exploits with Celtic that impressed me a lot. By getting his side organised he managed to beat teams like Barcelona... that's something not many managers have been able to do in Europe.

He comes off as a decent enough guy and I think the Championship would be a good place for him to prove himself in England... He'd get our side organised at least.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:55 pm

heth-heth-heth-heth-heth-campo-out!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm

danardif1 wrote:I'd be going for Neil Lennon if he was up for it, regardless of what people think of the SPL, it's his European exploits with Celtic that impressed me a lot. By getting his side organised he managed to beat teams like Barcelona... that's something not many managers have been able to do in Europe.

He comes off as a decent enough guy and I think the Championship would be a good place for him to prove himself in England... He'd get our side organised at least.

aye - mebbe... but we don't need to beat Barcelona - we need to beat Derby.. and Bournemouth... and Leeds... and Wolves!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:03 pm

thebish wrote:
danardif1 wrote:I'd be going for Neil Lennon if he was up for it, regardless of what people think of the SPL, it's his European exploits with Celtic that impressed me a lot. By getting his side organised he managed to beat teams like Barcelona... that's something not many managers have been able to do in Europe.

aye - mebbe... but we don't need to beat Barcelona - we need to beat Derby.. and Bournemouth... and Leeds... and Wolves!
That's very true... but he had no trouble thrashing the rest of the SPL, something that the new man at Parkhead is finding a bit more difficult, so perhaps Lennon's just that good?

Personally, I think whoever manages to pique his interest and snap him up would be making a very good decision... I'm sure he doesn't want to be punditting next to Alan Shearer for much longer...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 pm

megson 'beat' atletico madrid , and got a team promoted to the prem and kept another in it , let's get him back.

if them are the criterias , he passes that test.

however..

campo passes the "bolton legend" test and "scored similar amounts for us that coyle did" test

go on garty , you know it's right*

*by right , i mean, lolololol

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:09 pm

danardif1 wrote:
thebish wrote:

That's very true... but he had no trouble thrashing the rest of the SPL, something that the new man at Parkhead is finding a bit more difficult, so perhaps Lennon's just that good?

Personally, I think whoever manages to pique his interest and snap him up would be making a very good decision... I'm sure he doesn't want to be punditting next to Alan Shearer for much longer...

There is a vocal minority of Bolton/ Rangers fans who would probably not like that appointment.......

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm

thebish wrote:maybe i am being naive - it's certainly possible - but I am not buying the idea that every footballer has some kind of a series of hate-texts on his phone - or that they are all morons.
Maybe it's not a hate text. Maybe it's "Freedman is a ****ing **** and he can shove his head up Gartside's fat ****." Maybe it's some sort of affair. Or a tapping up.

Let me put it this way: is it really fair that Mackay's career is ruined because Vincent Tan is a psychotic idiot? I'm not sure I want to give crooked owners that kind of power.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm

a1 wrote:heth-heth-heth-heth-heth-campo-out!!
Scorchio!

:lol:

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:12 pm

thebish wrote:maybe i am being naive - it's certainly possible - but I am not buying the idea that every footballer has some kind of a series of hate-texts on his phone - or that they are all morons.
Wow, hate-texts? From the look of them they appear to be his idea of humour to someone else with the same sense of humour - ill-judged rather than evil.

And there are half a dozen quotes from what were private texts (yeah, yeah, I know it was a work phone, so technically not "private property"), sifted out of probably tens of thousands of emails and text messages. I don't think that puts him in the Nick Griffin or Abu Hamza category.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
danardif1 wrote:
thebish wrote:

There is a vocal minority of Bolton/ Rangers fans who would probably not like that appointment.......
Well if he were to get them performing on the pitch I reckon they'd shut up fast... and who wants to listen to sectarian bollocks anyway?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm not well upon Griffin text messages, but I've probably read more racist stuff from McKay's texts than I've read from BNP man.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:17 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Maybe it's not a hate text. Maybe it's "Freedman is a ****ing **** and he can shove his head up Gartside's fat ****." Maybe it's some sort of affair. Or a tapping up.

Let me put it this way: is it really fair that Mackay's career is ruined because Vincent Tan is a psychotic idiot? I'm not sure I want to give crooked owners that kind of power.
The thing is Tan definitely seems to have had it in for Mackay since the middle of last season... Even recently he was saying that it was Mackay not Solskjaer that got them relegated even though Cardiff were 17th when Mackay was in charge and were bottom by the time OGS was done with them...

Whatever the reasons are they were not football-related... and we need someone who can do football. Mackay is good in this division...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:18 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:

Mackay signed 7 players in the window before he departed - 4 of them foreign and one of them Nigerian. The Korean, that I think was referred to in one of the texts, also signed for Cardiff and Mackay played him 28 times in the first season. That doesn't look particularly racist to me (albeit the texts which I think he'd have considered "private" don't put him in a good light).

I don't think Gartside would risk him to be honest...

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

I don't think he would either... Mackay is going to be in the wilderness for a little while yet I reckon... Whilst I don't condone what he did he is a decent manager and deserves another chance, especially to show Cardiff what they're missing...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

thebish wrote:surely nobody is "in the running" yet!! far too early!!
Do you think the club hasn't been preparing for this ? At least looking at who's available, & with proper inside knowledge of what they are like salary expectations, availability and geographical ambition ?

Or do you think Wednesday might's result sort off sneaked up on them all unawares ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".