Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:40 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Which lower-league clubs did either of the last two manage?

I suppose I'd like someone on the up wo can take us with him, rather than the same-old same-old, of which Mowbray is a fine example.
I'd like that too. It might be harder to find and I wouldn't really want it at the expense of staying up. If we were in this position when we appointed Coyle (who was a lower league manager for all but 15? Games when we appointed him), and the choice had been Coyle or (for arguments sake) McCarthy, then I'd probably have gone for McCarthy.

Mowbray, I'm not convinced by.

But I'd probably be more convinced by Clough (managed nearly 1000 matches) than say Flitcroft (managed less than 100)

I think that in the short term, you know what you're going to get is more important.

Coyle had managed 15? Games in the Prem and Burnley were only heading in one direction when he left. Most of his signings were lower league too. I count Coyle as League 1/Champoinship at best, Manager.

I also want someone who isn't the same age as half our squad.
To attempt to prevent continued talking at cross purposes, Worthy, I think you and DSB are working with different notions of 'lower league'. You seem to mean 'lower than the Premiership' whereas he seems to have in mind 'lower than where we are now'.

I don't mind you two disagreeing, but I think more progress can be made if we can all agree what you're disagreeing about. :wink:

At the moment, I'd prefer we got someone in with experience than not - I think we have a precariously positioned squad, that with the right manager could and should be able to get out of the relegation spots. Of course they might do that with the wrong manager too!

If we remove "which League" they came from for a moment - Coyle and Freedman were both gambles in my eyes, Megson was a known quantity. In fairness both Megson and Coyle did a job - Megson to sweep up Sammy Lee's "lets get people who can run" in, mess, and Coyle to restore a vitriolic break down between Megson and the fans.

For me there's two stages - can the person get us out of the mess we're in, then can they take us forward.

I have "can they get us out of the mess we're in", weighing in at around 90% of the equation in my head at the moment...and I believe we'd be better off with known quantity (obvs not MEgson though) than gamble. Neither might work, both could work of course...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Youri's right - we've been talking at cross-purposes. :D "Lower-league" to me is Divs 3 & 4, not 2.

Both Flitcrofts have started well but either would be much more of a risk than Hill, who's been round the block a bit more - in five full seasons at Rochdale he's won automatic promotion twice, reached the play-offs twice and consolidated them at 9th in League One; now they're in the League One play-off zone again. Obviously he has something going for him, and he also kept Barnsley up with finances so shite they had to sell their best players.

Clough is definitely worth talking to - if he shows himself interested - but you'd imagine SUFC might play expensive hardball. He's also hardly an old man, at 48, particularly with his chubby baby-face :D

That said, while I know what you mean, I'm not too bothered about age meself, rather ability. Freedman's the first BW manager to be younger than me but that wasn't a problem when we were winning. Karl Robinson's only 34 but he seems to get players kicking the round thing in the string thing. It's all that matters in the end.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:At the moment, I'd prefer we got someone in with experience than not - I think we have a precariously positioned squad, that with the right manager could and should be able to get out of the relegation spots. Of course they might do that with the wrong manager too!
Know what you mean and I'd feel more risk-averse if we had a very poor squad. I honestly think that picking the right team with the right attitude, there are probably two dozen managers who could keep us up. So yeah, I agree wholeheartedly that:
Worthy4England wrote:For me there's two stages - can the person get us out of the mess we're in, then can they take us forward.
...I just think that a younger, hungrier manager might be better placed to take us forward - especially one who can work with diminished resources. Some managers would come in and instantly mentally dismiss half the squad (which Freedman possibly did too). We can't have that: they have to coach better results from the squad they have, and gradually, carefully, add to it with bargains. This is why I would rather have a manager jumping up a division, and thus perhaps able to see the qualities in players who are underperforming but are better than the average they've worked with, than a manager who has grown used to Premier League players and might simply despair of his inheritance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:09 pm

There are pros and cons both ways. If there was a formula, no one would ever get relegated :-)

I think you're right that a young hungry manager (I think young and hungry was a phrase Freedman used plenty?) might be a better bet to take us forwards. But for me, not at the expense of another relegation - so they have to be able to do Job 1, first.

Bogdan, Ream, Wheater, CYL, Mavies, Beckford, Herd, Pratley, Spearing, all have varying degrees of Premiership experience. One of them (pre injury) might have actually been a Premiership level player and they should be doing better than they are.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:The managerial team for tomorrow strikes me as 2 fingers to the fans from Phil.
if i was philip , i'd've given megson a short term contract , even though *i* hated him now.

feck 'em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying get a League One manager to make it easier to come back up - I want, as Job 1, to stay up. And like I say, many a manager should be able to do that.

All those players should be doing better. Some players without Prem experience - Feeney, Danns, Mason, Medo - should also be better harnessed, too.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:12 pm

who the feck is saying we're going down ?

it was freedmans fault and he's fecked off now.

'til the moaning bastards blame campo/fullarton/philips for making them run a lot in 12 weeks time

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:41 pm

a1 wrote:who the feck is saying we're going down ?
The Football League, if we finish in our current position. It's kinda traditional.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Newcastle 2-1 behind - Pardew could be looking for work soon...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I wonder when/if the club will announce some kind of timetable for the appointment... is the end of the international window too soon???

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:59 pm

thebish wrote:I wonder when/if the club will announce some kind of timetable for the appointment... is the end of the international window too soon???
I don't think they should put themselves under that pressure. I doubt they'll be hanging about.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:01 pm

thebish wrote:I wonder when/if the club will announce some kind of timetable for the appointment... is the end of the international window too soon???
Official site, just says the Club will "begin for a new management team over the course on the international break"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Changed yer mind PT? :rolleyes:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I almost hope they offer it to SKD. Wandering Willy would be apoplectic! :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Hmmm... two bookies are now making Phil Brown odds on. Hope that's rash bets not inside info.

Muur
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Muur » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Phil Brown

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Muur wrote:Phil Brown
... whose Southend side lost today at home to Morecambe, is now odds-on favourite with the bookies. :-?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Muur wrote:Phil Brown
... whose Southend side lost today at home to Morecambe, is now odds-on favourite with the bookies. :-?

Good preparation for losing with us, next season, at home to Fleetwood...

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Bijou Bob wrote: Neil Lennon at 20/1 is someone I'd like to see given a chance. He's unlikely to get a Premiership job straight out so may fancy cutting his teeth in the Championship.
No, no, no no no no no no no no, just no.

Won the SPL by dint of having a budget 20x his closest challengers, and is a complete arsehole to boot.

If you're going for ex-tim, then MacKay is the clear choice. Jackie Mac from Utd another good shout (whoever said that).

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:29 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote: Neil Lennon at 20/1 is someone I'd like to see given a chance. He's unlikely to get a Premiership job straight out so may fancy cutting his teeth in the Championship.
No, no, no no no no no no no no, just no.

Won the SPL by dint of having a budget 20x his closest challengers, and is a complete arsehole to boot.

If you're going for ex-tim, then MacKay is the clear choice. Jackie Mac from Utd another good shout (whoever said that).
Welcome back fat man... Where have you been???