Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:04 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Apparently, Lennon has been offered the Saudi job, according to everyone's favourite Oracle....which is probably why he's drifting in the market....
Wouldn't work/live there even if paid silly money. Could understand taking the money for UAE or Oman, but anywhere else in the region would be a huge no for me.

Also, it's not the best climate to be a pasty ginger in.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:26 am

Andy Waller wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Apparently, Lennon has been offered the Saudi job, according to everyone's favourite Oracle....which is probably why he's drifting in the market....
Wouldn't work/live there even if paid silly money. Could understand taking the money for UAE or Oman, but anywhere else in the region would be a huge no for me.

Also, it's not the best climate to be a pasty ginger in.
To be honest it isn't the best climate for anything other than a camel!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 am

Marc Isles's pen-pics for the blokes assumed to be the front-runners...

from the BN - http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _/?ref=mac

CHRIS HUGHTON

Current odds: 7/2 joint fav

Managerial experience: Caretaker at Spurs and Newcastle before taking Toon job full-time in 2009, guiding the club back into the Premier League with ease. Hughton was controversially sacked soon after the club’s return to the top flight but returned to management with Birmingham City, juggling European football and a fourth-placed finish in the Championship. He moved on to Norwich City in June 2012 and helped the Canaries cement their top flight position, finishing 11th in his first season. A struggle in the following season saw Hughton leave Carrow Road in April 2014.

Associated staff: Colin Calderwood (assistant).

Plus points: Universally liked at the clubs he has managed, the former Spurs defender has a good record of stabilising clubs and producing results. He has Championship promotion and play-offs on his CV.

Down side: Hughton may well feel entitled to another chance higher up the pyramid, such is his record. Has never operated on a budget as tight as the one he is likely to get at Bolton.

MALKY MACKAY

Current odds: 8/1

Managerial experience: Took over at Watford from Brendan Rogers and took the Hornets into mid-table after struggling all season. He moved on to Cardiff, taking the Welsh club to unprecedented success – a league cup final defeat and promotion to the Premier League. On arrival in the top flight his relationship with Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan deteriorated, leading to his sacking in December 2013. Mackay has since been linked with a number of posts, including Crystal Palace.

Associated staff: Most are still in work, for example David Kerslake at Cardiff or Sean Dyche at Burnley.

Plus points: His title-winning squad at Cardiff was one of the finest in Championship history. The Scot also did a solid job at his former club Watford under tough financial constraints.

Down side: Mackay comes with baggage – i.e. allegations of misconduct, and high-profile texts sent between himself and Crystal Palace sporting director Ian Moody.

NEIL LENNON

Current odds: 16/1

Managerial experience: Exclusively at Celtic, where after succeeding Tony Mowbray in March 2010, he led the club to three league titles and two Scottish Cups. Lennon was voted SPL Manager of the Year in 2012. He left Parkhead in May and has been linked with vacant positions in England, although a report at the weekend suggests he has been offered the chance to return to football in the Middle East.

Associated staff: Johan Mjallby and ex-Wanderer Alan Thompson.

Plus points: A real character and one who is used to winning. Lennon battled against off the field problems at Celtic, and so would be happy to resume his footballing career at Bolton.

Down side: His lack of experience in England, especially at second-tier level, could be a big factor. Lennon has only four full seasons on his CV and that could also count against him.

STEVE CLARKE

Current odds: 14/1

Managerial experience: Assistant at Newcastle United to Ruud Gullit, Jose Mourinho and Avram Grant at Chelsea, Gianfranco Zola at West Ham, Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rogers at Liverpool – Clarke finally struck out on his own at West Brom in June 2012. He guided the Baggies to eighth in the Premier League, their best finish since 1981, but couldn’t repeat the trick and was sacked in December 2013.

Associated staff: Keith Downing and Kevin Keen.

Plus points: Talk about contacts in the game, the Scot is also regarded as an excellent technical coach. Clarke has been searching for a way back in and very few Wanderers fans would be averse to seeing him take charge.

Down side: Has he got the Championship experience needed to take Wanderers out of the bottom three? Clarke has spent most of his career in the upper echelons, coaching top players.

TONY MOWBRAY

Current odds: 7/2 joint fav.

Managerial experience: Had a brief spell at Ipswich before getting his first manag-erial post at Hibs and securing top four finishes in consecutive campaigns. Mowbray moved on to West Brom, taking the Baggies to the play-off final in his first season and then all the way to the title in his second. West Brom went straight back down but Mowbray remained popular as he left for Celtic, spending just nine months at Parkhead before succeeding Gordon Strachan at Middlesbrough in October 2010. His rebuilding job at Boro was considerable and after taking the club to safety in his first season, he finished seventh in his next. A poor start to the 2013/14 campaign cost him his job.

Associated staff: Mark Venus.

Plus points: Walked into a similar job at Boro when the club were struggling financially after the excesses of the Strachan era. Plays attractive football and the sort of down-to-earth type who could do well.

Down side: Out of work for a year (his gardening leave at Boro finishes this month) but missed out on Huddersfield and Leeds jobs. Slight worry that his best managerial days are gone.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:31 am

Interesting movement in the odds today, Bish. Hughton clear-ish favourite, but MacKay has drifted and Lennon has come storming in (mind you, he's still longer odds than Dennis Wise for some of the bookies, so perhaps we shouldn't read too much into any of this?)

I see also that Phil Brown's weekly piece for the Southend Bugler (well, some such) is very canny. Talks of Gartside telling him he needed to cut his teeth in management before he'd be considered for the Bolton job (this being back when Sam was being touted for Newcastle and England). Then concludes:
I think I’ve probably done that now but I’m perfectly happy at Southend and want to finish off what I’ve started here!
Not exactly ruling himself out, then?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:35 am

There's a worry Mowbray's best managerial days are gone?! Christ on a bike. Not convinced Hughton has never operated on a budget this tight. I thought Brum were coppering up when he was there?

Lennon still my fav, I'd be genuinely excited about him, but much happier with the prospect of either Clarke or Hughton than I was a few days ago (lord knows why).

Very much against Mackay. Spent a shit-ton of cash to get Cardiff up, plus I don't know how much he was involved in spotting and signing players, or whether that was Moody (the other arse-hole) who we obviously wouldn't be getting.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 pm

No mention of Phil Brown!

:pissed: Image :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Blimey, Bob in 'Agreeing with Pru' shock. Lennon for me too, I wouldn't say no to Hughton.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:17 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... erers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope so....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm

final decision due in 48hrs?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:29 pm

TBH I'm not sure how successful Lennon would be if appointed, and I've nothing against Hughton, MacKay, Mowbray, Clarke etc....all decent enough managers and all better than the last few IMO

However Lennon would be different, he's a character whether you like him or not - he's not a yes man and has that spark - he would certainly shake things up a bit which is what we need and will say it as it is.

I also think he'll have a hunger to prove himself in England

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:30 pm

thebish wrote:

final decision due in 48hrs?

That photo makes it look like he's awaiting a decision about whether to release him on license from H Block! :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:32 pm

and what's with the slightly weird walking about with your tongue partly out?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Nixon working for the Sun now or is he freelancing?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Stuff football, I'm entering the Sun Lurves Curves modelling competition - there's a million quid in it! :oyea:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:Stuff football, I'm entering the Sun Lurves Curves modelling competition - there's a million quid in it! :oyea:

did you also see the link to WtW's new Sun arts column on the right? :wink:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

The interest has been there!

I think that at where we are at, the suggested names are quite refreshing and reassuring.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:52 pm

RE: Lennon

It's the most very mild excitement I've had with BWFC since the Coyle Stoke Wembley debacle - I've even wasted a few quid on Lennon at 11-1....and I'm a Rangers fan - but we'll see !

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:53 pm

thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:Stuff football, I'm entering the Sun Lurves Curves modelling competition - there's a million quid in it! :oyea:

did you also see the link to WtW's new Sun arts column on the right? :wink:
:lol:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Just re-read it. There's only £1k in it. Not doing it now. ***sulkily puts mankini back in drawer.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:RE: Lennon

It's the most very mild excitement I've had with BWFC since the Coyle Stoke Wembley debacle - I've even wasted a few quid on Lennon at 11-1....and I'm a Rangers fan - but we'll see !
So would Lennon's appointment tempt you back to the Macron, PT? That's not meant to be a "Leading question" - just curious from some people who stopped going (and I think you and SF were amongst that bunch) whether the appointment of Lennon or anyone on the list, would encourage you back into the ground.