Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:Please just not Neil Lennon...
His brother John ain't available either
He's available, but I doubt he's exploring management just yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon_Silva_Santos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:24 pm

If this is purely about getting us playing football and a manager tough enough to do it regardless of personality, I 'd take a chance on Roy Keane. What he is outside of a football manager is of no real consequence.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Ah, Roy. Resigned at Sunderland after we won 4-1 up there. Under Megson!

While we're on Sunderland memories, Sbragia's win percentage there was the same as Di Canio's...

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Chris Hughton for me. Got Birmingham City playing great football which led to him getting the Norwich job after they missed out on the Play-offs otherwise than that I just want someone who will get get the players believing in their ability and playing with energy!!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Mackay.. Hughton.. Mcdermott.. please.

Not more risks. Got to get this one right and that means managers proven in this league.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Bookies suspend betting on Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink!

Only joking. How did he got on there? Did he say he was looking to get into management when he last on MOTD?

I'm with DSB. Let's take our time. Provided Jimmy P can steady the ship, there should be no rush (even optimistic fans can't have an eye on the play-offs this season, surely?)

Keith Hill deserves some thought (although he had a horrid spell at Barnsley) and, of course Dave Flitcroft was his deputy there and took over for a while. In the latter's case, it may be too much of a gamble (although I was impressed with how Bury outplayed us at the Macron).

I know Bobo is carrying a torch for McDermott but I can't get Little Britain out of my head whenever I see him (no doubt a prejudice I'd get over if he came here and did a decent job). How about Chris Hughton?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote: I may have said Mackay but some of his behaviours have been questionable of late.
Is there only me that wouldn't be in the least bit bothered by them?
Me neither Gunga Din :mrgreen:
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:Bookies suspend betting on Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink!

Only joking. How did he got on there? Did he say he was looking to get into management when he last on MOTD?
From memory, he's been on the last two or three...Just bookies hoping someone will take a punt no a non runner...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:48 pm

From memory, Hasselbaink wasn't exactly gagging to manage his old team Leeds, let alone a team he's barely heard of. (Although at least our owner/chairman isn't a megalomaniac.)

Might be interesting to see who applies, and who waits to be approached. If any unemployed manager doesn't get in touch but waits for his own phone to ring, that might suggest he tends toward the lazy and self-centred.... just a thought.

We want somebody who's banging on the door desperate to make things better. Not as a sole criterion - you, me and a thousand others would tick that box - but certainly an important one. This ain't gonna be an easy job, short-term or medium-term.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

From memory, he's been on the last two or three...Just bookies hoping someone will take a punt no a non runner...
Ah, see what you mean. But if they were smarter, they'd have put Campo or Hierro up there!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Ah, Roy. Resigned at Sunderland after we won 4-1 up there. Under Megson!

While we're on Sunderland memories, Sbragia's win percentage there was the same as Di Canio's...
We had a tough manager and prospered. Then came the shire-horse chuckler, the "positives" hopeful, the ear-flicking ping-ponger and Robert the Bruce's battle planner. Now, we're bottom of the league from all those nice guys. Get a bxstard in.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:54 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Ah, see what you mean. But if they were smarter, they'd have put Campo or Hierro up there!
He's on Fulham's list too (as it happens) as are most of the rest of them.

The list now has Hierro and Stelios on it - couldn't see Campo

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 pm

And I'm delighted to say David O'Leary is in there too as is Iain Dowie and Graeme Souness!

My world is complete. :-)

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:And I'm delighted to say David O'Leary is in there too as is Iain Dowie and Graeme Souness!

My world is complete. :-)

I think I'd need Graham Taylor and David Pleat for that... :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Ah, Roy. Resigned at Sunderland after we won 4-1 up there. Under Megson!

We had a tough manager and prospered. Then came the shire-horse chuckler, the "positives" hopeful, the ear-flicking ping-ponger and Robert the Bruce's battle planner. Now, we're bottom of the league from all those nice guys. Get a bxstard in.
Megson was hardly charm-school, but Allardyce certainly was: he could make players feel ten feet tall.

Keane is an explosion waiting to happen, who failed at Sunderland (after taking them up, admittedly, but at huge expense) and then even more so at Ipswich. By all accounts he has absolutely no patience with poor players, which might sound attractive in a rocks-in-the-rucksack way but is impractical when every single player at his disposal, or within his meagre expenditure, will be less than a tenth as good as he was himself.

He wouldn't come, but even if he did, he wouldn't last a year, and we'd probably be in the third tier by then. IMO...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:01 pm

As long as it's not Ince. I'm hoping that useless as he is, even Gartside will see that appointing Ince would be a step too far. I wouldn't however, put it past him.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Megson was hardly charm-school, but Allardyce certainly was: he could make players feel ten feet tall.

Keane is an explosion waiting to happen, who failed at Sunderland (after taking them up, admittedly, but at huge expense) and then even more so at Ipswich. By all accounts he has absolutely no patience with poor players, which might sound attractive in a rocks-in-the-rucksack way but is impractical when every single player at his disposal, or within his meagre expenditure, will be less than a tenth as good as he was himself.

He wouldn't come, but even if he did, he wouldn't last a year, and we'd probably be in the third tier by then. IMO...
Agree, I look across our squad and their frailties. Keane wouldn't help one iota.

When I'm thinking of "no-nonsense" managers, I'm thinking in a footballing sense rather than a management style. Someone who cam adapt their outlook to bring the best out of what we have, rather than try and adapt what we have to some sort of fancy Dan's text book.

They need to start with

1) This is a football.
2) We need to put it in that goal down there.
3) To do so, we need to have possession of it and be able to pass it to a bloke in the same coloured kit.
4) We also need to stop them nasty people putting it in this net here.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

I think out of those available i'd go steve clarke.

Not jimmy phillips for gods sake. He cant even get his current job right.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm

ChrisC wrote:Mackay.. Hughton.. Mcdermott.. please.

Not more risks. Got to get this one right and that means managers proven in this league.
These are the three stand out candidates for me too. Mackay is a good manager but my only reservation is whether the players would take to him or not. A few months ago, he'd have been a definite 'yes' but I don't know how badly marred his reputation is amongst footballers, and if they genuinely believe he's a bigot, will they give their all for him? I don't know. For that reason, whilst Mackay is a good manager, there's an element of risk for the next club who hires him and I'm not sure we're in a strong enough position to take risks. I like Hughton a lot and I think we have a group of players that are suitable for attacking football, which is what he delivered when he was most successful, so he might be the most suitable choice for the squad we've got. He didn't do great at Norwich but I'd be happy with giving him a chance with us. McDermott is probably the one with the best reputation at the moment and he'd done well wherever he's been, even at Leeds when he had a very tough job. He wouldn't set the world alight but I think he knows what he's doing so I'd be happy with him.

All three are good candidates though. I'd much rather go for one of those three than one of the numerous untested managers on that list.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Agree, I look across our squad and their frailties. Keane wouldn't help one iota.

When I'm thinking of "no-nonsense" managers, I'm thinking in a footballing sense rather than a management style. Someone who cam adapt their outlook to bring the best out of what we have, rather than try and adapt what we have to some sort of fancy Dan's text book.

They need to start with

1) This is a football.
2) We need to put it in that goal down there.
3) To do so, we need to have possession of it and be able to pass it to a bloke in the same coloured kit.
4) We also need to stop them nasty people putting it in this net here.
Jobs yours for the asking, Worthy! :wink: