Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I wouldn't want MacKay - suspect Chungy wouldn't either.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:38 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Mackay.. Hughton.. Mcdermott.. please.

Not more risks. Got to get this one right and that means managers proven in this league.
These are the three stand out candidates for me too. Mackay is a good manager but my only reservation is whether the players would take to him or not. A few months ago, he'd have been a definite 'yes' but I don't know how badly marred his reputation is amongst footballers, and if they genuinely believe he's a bigot, will they give their all for him? I don't know. For that reason, whilst Mackay is a good manager, there's an element of risk for the next club who hires him and I'm not sure we're in a strong enough position to take risks. I like Hughton a lot and I think we have a group of players that are suitable for attacking football, which is what he delivered when he was most successful, so he might be the most suitable choice for the squad we've got. He didn't do great at Norwich but I'd be happy with giving him a chance with us. McDermott is probably the one with the best reputation at the moment and he'd done well wherever he's been, even at Leeds when he had a very tough job. He wouldn't set the world alight but I think he knows what he's doing so I'd be happy with him.

All three are good candidates though. I'd much rather go for one of those three than one of the numerous untested managers on that list.
Agreed, however re Mackay I question his ability not only to win the players we have over with his reputation, but also to bring new players into the club. I think his reputation is shot to shit and his only way back is to come in as an assistant somewhere to work his way back up. Hughton would be my preference.
Yeah, that's right. You can't imagine potential signings who've only read the newspaper headlines will be keen on playing under him, so it'd likely have a detrimental effect on our ability to sign players. You can't really have sympathy for Mackay but no matter how many times he apologises, everything he said in the past will make any future jobs a lot harder for him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Dave Jones for me. Done well at several clubs, got Cardiff to the playoffs before they had bags of cash. Unemployed and free and experienced.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Bet curbishley gets an interview again

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 pm

On Oddschecker, the odd have shortened since the announcement for

1) Mackay - he's come in from around 12's I think to 5's
2) Browny - he's come in from around 20's to as short as 9/2
3) McDemott - he's come in from 20's to 6/1 / 12/1
4) Mowbray - think he was pitched at around 33's now between 8's and 14's
5) Hill - not sure where he started exactly, but there some money going on him

JP is on the drift outwards but still between 2 1/2 to 4's

Of the last three managers, two of them didn't really come into the betting (iirc) until it became known we'd asked permission to talk to the Chairman (Megson/Freedman). Coyle was there a bit earlier...

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Gartside was thinking of Paul Ince.....Not that I would want him as manager!!

I wouldn't mind Dave Flitcroft - seems to be doing a good job as manager at Bury.....what about david moyes? (I know...ex MUFC)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Moyes would be a great appointment.

I don't think we would get him though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:57 pm

I think Moyes is in the Pulis category - unlikely... :-)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Keith Hill is the man.

Keith Hill's super white army.

The song is made for him.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:07 pm

jaffka wrote:Keith Hill is the man.

What's Hills management record like..can't say I have followed him

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Does anyone seriously give a crap about the Mackay thing? Surely every player in that locker room has something on his phone that would bar him from any future employment if it were released in the press by a vindictive lunatic.

r0ckpaperscissors
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by r0ckpaperscissors » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:14 pm

twilight wrote:
jaffka wrote:Keith Hill is the man.

What's Hills management record like..can't say I have followed him
Rochdale - 16 December 2006 to 1 June 2011 - Win ratio 43.72
Barnsley - 1 June 2011 to 29 December 2012 - Win ratio 25.68
Rochdale - 22 January 2013 to present - Win ratio 48.19

Not sparking Championship form.
contrite contrarian

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Mackay.. Hughton.. Mcdermott.. please.

Not more risks. Got to get this one right and that means managers proven in this league.
These are the three stand out candidates for me too. Mackay is a good manager but my only reservation is whether the players would take to him or not. A few months ago, he'd have been a definite 'yes' but I don't know how badly marred his reputation is amongst footballers, and if they genuinely believe he's a bigot, will they give their all for him? I don't know. For that reason, whilst Mackay is a good manager, there's an element of risk for the next club who hires him and I'm not sure we're in a strong enough position to take risks. I like Hughton a lot and I think we have a group of players that are suitable for attacking football, which is what he delivered when he was most successful, so he might be the most suitable choice for the squad we've got. He didn't do great at Norwich but I'd be happy with giving him a chance with us. McDermott is probably the one with the best reputation at the moment and he'd done well wherever he's been, even at Leeds when he had a very tough job. He wouldn't set the world alight but I think he knows what he's doing so I'd be happy with him.

All three are good candidates though. I'd much rather go for one of those three than one of the numerous untested managers on that list.
Agreed, however re Mackay I question his ability not only to win the players we have over with his reputation, but also to bring new players into the club. I think his reputation is shot to shit and his only way back is to come in as an assistant somewhere to work his way back up. Hughton would be my preference.
Yeah, that's right. You can't imagine potential signings who've only read the newspaper headlines will be keen on playing under him, so it'd likely have a detrimental effect on our ability to sign players. You can't really have sympathy for Mackay but no matter how many times he apologises, everything he said in the past will make any future jobs a lot harder for him.
Yesterday's newspapers are today's chip wrappers. Allardyce's rep got a tonking after panorama, but he's never been short of offers of work. And would football players themselves actually consider McKay's behaviour to be as outrageous as, say, the comments page of the Guardian? Not condoning what he did, but just saying...

The fact that McKay is considered by some to be damaged goods means that we might actually be in with a chance of "attracting" him to this club, which to be fair must look like a poisoned chalice to most outsiders. I'm sure we will get plenty of chancers sniffing around the job, but he's done the biz in the championship before, I'd back him to take on the job and do well. Still time for the play-offs?! :mrgreen:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Does anyone seriously give a crap about the Mackay thing? Surely every player in that locker room has something on his phone that would bar him from any future employment if it were released in the press by a vindictive lunatic.
"On the arrival of South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung:
'Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There's enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.'

On Phil Smith, football agent:
'Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers'

On a list of transfer targets:
'Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering.'

On a player's female agent:
'I hope she's looking after your needs. I bet you'd love a bounce on her falsies.'

On an official at another club:
'He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted'

...and sent to members of Cardiff's staff
A picture entitled Black Monopoly - where every square was a "Go to Jail" square"

Er yeah, I'd say so.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:27 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Does anyone seriously give a crap about the Mackay thing? Surely every player in that locker room has something on his phone that would bar him from any future employment if it were released in the press by a vindictive lunatic.
Er yeah, I'd say so.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 pm

really?? you think every player has racist/homophobic/sexist or some-kind-of-hate-texts on their phone such as would bar them from employment if it were known??? really??

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:30 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11672/9501382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky touting Mowbray.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:31 pm

surely nobody is "in the running" yet!! far too early!!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Mowbray likes his players playing the football how it should be played way doesn't he? We don't play like that :?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Him and Browny are the two that have come in most in the betting (probably because Sky is touting one of them, and it's not too far a leap to think we might be considering the other (even if we're not))