Mavies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Mavies

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Just read this ....
Mark Davies looks to have avoided serious injury after limping off against Bournemouth on Saturday.

It was feared the midfielder’s jinx had struck again when he was withdrawn at half time in the 2-1 defeat at the Macron Stadium.

Initial scans have shown there is no ligament damage, however, and further scans today will determine whether there are any cartilage problems that need to be addressed. Temporary boss Andy Hughes praised Davies’s first-half display and was keeping his fingers crossed at the weekend.
Good.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Mavies

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm

So this is the pre-injury. The one that on his comeback match turns into a 5 month out job.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:So this is the pre-injury. The one that on his comeback match turns into a 5 month out job.
Well, yes, quite.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 pm

it doesn't take a serious injury to keep Mavies out for months!

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 pm

He lives to limp off another day...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:54 pm

My question is this. When Mark Davies goes down holding one of his knees, who in the right mind asks him to play on for the five minutes until half-time, rather than hauling him off and then seeing if he's fit to go out for the 2nd half? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:My question is this. When Mark Davies goes down holding one of his knees, who in the right mind asks him to play on for the five minutes until half-time, rather than hauling him off and then seeing if he's fit to go out for the 2nd half? :conf:
To be fair, isn't it normal practice for the player to signal to the bench if he feels he shouldn't go on? Given his (potential) pivotal role in the team, I can't blame Hughes for letting him play on. That said, I can blame him for sending Pratley on as replacement...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:My question is this. When Mark Davies goes down holding one of his knees, who in the right mind asks him to play on for the five minutes until half-time, rather than hauling him off and then seeing if he's fit to go out for the 2nd half? :conf:
To be fair, isn't it normal practice for the player to signal to the bench if he feels he shouldn't go on? Given his (potential) pivotal role in the team, I can't blame Hughes for letting him play on. That said, I can blame him for sending Pratley on as replacement...
On the grounds of Davies's medical history I disagree. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with you vis throwing Pratley on rather than moving Zinedine ZiDanns inside and sticking Feeney on the wing instead.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
On the grounds of Davies's medical history I disagree. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with you vis throwing Pratley on rather than moving Zinedine ZiDanns inside and sticking Feeney on the wing instead.

Hughes out! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:21 pm

manager leaves - crazy substitutions continue!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Coyle bought Pratley. Freedman played Pratley. Hughes brought him on, as (in two of his three games) did Jiminho.

Are they all seeing something we manifestly aren't?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Pratley played as well as Mavies on Saturday.

Wht is everyone so besotted with Mavies anyway??
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Andy Waller wrote:Pratley played as well as Mavies on Saturday.

At Fulham, only one of them seemed to know what he was supposed to do, and it wasn't dear old Darren.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coyle bought Pratley. Freedman played Pratley. Hughes brought him on, as (in two of his three games) did Jiminho.

You see .... that s a reasoned and logical reply. A very fair question. The answer, however, is "no".

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

At Fulham, only one of them seemed to know what he was supposed to do, and it wasn't dear old Darren.

I'm not saying either of them is any good by the way.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Andy: I know you don't rate Mavies, we've been down this conversational path before - ISTR one of us said that the number of passes a player makes doesn't matter. Which is fair enough if it's your belief, but it's not mine.
bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coyle bought Pratley. Freedman played Pratley. Hughes brought him on, as (in two of his three games) did Jiminho. Are they all seeing something we manifestly aren't?
You see .... that s a reasoned and logical reply. A very fair question. The answer, however, is "no".
I would dearly love him to do well. I don't doubt he wants to work hard. But he's not very good, is he? And somehow the idea has sprung up that he's a goal threat... when it seems to me that in 99 appearances he's scored 7 goals...

The difference at Craven Cottage when he was replaced by Mark Davies, who wanted to get the ball, look up and pass it to a colleague, was frankly heart-rending.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Andy: I know you don't rate Mavies, we've been down this conversational path before - ISTR one of us said that the number of passes a player makes doesn't matter. Which is fair enough if it's your belief, but it's not mine.
bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coyle bought Pratley. Freedman played Pratley. Hughes brought him on, as (in two of his three games) did Jiminho. Are they all seeing something we manifestly aren't?
I would dearly love him to do well. I don't doubt he wants to work hard. But he's not very good, is he? And somehow the idea has sprung up that he's a goal threat... when it seems to me that in 99 appearances he's scored 7 goals...

The difference at Craven Cottage when he was replaced by Mark Davies, who wanted to get the ball, look up and pass it to a colleague, was frankly heart-rending.
He seems an honest, hard working guy. Mobile and famously "puts in a shift". Swansea fans remember him with great fondness and are amazed when we don't rave about him.

I think, when he signed for us, he actually retired to a Caribbean beach somewhere and his brother turned up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Or as poorly. Likewise Danns was getting no change out of Bournemouth's left back. The perfect opportunity presented itself to move Danns infield and play Feeney on the wing where arguably Danns would have done better than Davies and Feeney would have done better on the wing than Danns. No certainty, of course, but it couldn't have been any worse than lazily swapping Davies for Pratley, one for one.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Coyle bought Pratley. Freedman played Pratley. Hughes brought him on, as (in two of his three games) did Jiminho.

His prozone stats must look mint
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Or as poorly. Likewise Danns was getting no change out of Bournemouth's left back. The perfect opportunity presented itself to move Danns infield and play Feeney on the wing where arguably Danns would have done better than Davies and Feeney would have done better on the wing than Danns. No certainty, of course, but it couldn't have been any worse than lazily swapping Davies for Pratley, one for one.
I thought you and Bobo were co-founders of the 'Hughes In' campaign? :conf: