Next Bolton Manager Poll

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who do you want as next Bolton Manger

Poll ended at Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 am

Hughton
40%
Mackay
12%
Lennon
35%
Clarke
6%
Mowbray
No votes
Phelan (seems to be coming in, in the betting)
No votes
Wise (seems to be coming in, in the betting "gulp")
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 52

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Next Bolton Manager Poll

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I like the shout of Phelan too, though I'd probably prefer him as an assistant to someone like Lennon or Hughton.
Mike, you've spent years as assistant to Red Nose - how do you fancy a step up and being assistant to Hughton? ;-)
... & swap Van Persie for Beckford, and Carrick for Trotter while you're at it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:50 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:The one who excites me the most is probably Lennon. There's an element of doubt around his ability because the SPL is a weak league and anyone would succeed there but I do think he did well in Europe, he seems to be the sort of manager who can get the best out of players and, unlike the other candidates, his reputation is untarnished. Out of all the possible choices, I've no doubt that Lennon would give the players the biggest initial boost but the only question is whether he'd be good enough in the long term to sustain that. It's a gamble but one I'd be up for taking.

I'd be happy enough with any the four managers in the shortlist though. I like the shout of Phelan too, though I'd probably prefer him as an assistant to someone like Lennon or Hughton.
let's not be greedy! we're only getting one! :D

genuine question - what is it that makes you think that Lennon is the sort of manager who can get the best out of players? I really know nothing about him or his style or his strengths/weaknesses...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:57 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:The one who excites me the most is probably Lennon. There's an element of doubt around his ability because the SPL is a weak league and anyone would succeed there but I do think he did well in Europe, he seems to be the sort of manager who can get the best out of players and, unlike the other candidates, his reputation is untarnished. Out of all the possible choices, I've no doubt that Lennon would give the players the biggest initial boost but the only question is whether he'd be good enough in the long term to sustain that. It's a gamble but one I'd be up for taking.

I'd be happy enough with any the four managers in the shortlist though. I like the shout of Phelan too, though I'd probably prefer him as an assistant to someone like Lennon or Hughton.
Jesus wept, we agree :D!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 pm

thebish wrote:what is it that makes you think that Lennon is the sort of manager who can get the best out of players? I really know nothing about him or his style or his strengths/weaknesses...
He beat Barcelona with Giorgios Samaras up front and Kris Commons in midfield... quite impressive...

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Considering the football only I'd lean towards Mackay but then again, I'm a white man, and there may be those at the club less than enamored with him. Possibilities of a great reward, but not without great risk.

Lennon . . . certainly the most impressive CV considering the European exploits. But that's really an entirely different ball game. Taking charge of a club that will win the league regardless of your input is a much different proposition from taking a team at the bottom of the league. Would he grow frustrated at his inability to simply out-spend his rivals?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:36 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Considering the football only I'd lean towards Mackay but then again, I'm a white man, and there may be those at the club less than enamored with him. Possibilities of a great reward, but not without great risk.

Lennon . . . certainly the most impressive CV considering the European exploits. But that's really an entirely different ball game. Taking charge of a club that will win the league regardless of your input is a much different proposition from taking a team at the bottom of the league. Would he grow frustrated at his inability to simply out-spend his rivals?
To be honest no-one can fail to know that's not possible. If he's interested then he must be aware.

However, knowing there will be penury and actually living the life may be different and only time will prove whether or not he'd make a satin purse, if not a silk one, from this particular sow's ear.

Anyone who arrives will have limited ability to flex. He will have to get the current squad playing properly. Believing in themselves. Organised. Driven. AND have the fans on-side too. Given the current squad I honestly believe that's more than achievable. Having the midfield actually in contact with the forwards would be a start.

He MAY be able to ship out one or two he doesn't fancy, sell or loan. He may then be able to borrow a few who suit him, and who plug a current gap. But fundamentally it's going to be about getting the current lot playing.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:48 pm

One fish and chip visit to Olympus and he's ours, accents or no accents.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:what is it that makes you think that Lennon is the sort of manager who can get the best out of players? I really know nothing about him or his style or his strengths/weaknesses...
He beat Barcelona with Giorgios Samaras up front and Kris Commons in midfield... quite impressive...
God, imagine what he could do with Pratley against United :P

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:The one who excites me the most is probably Lennon. There's an element of doubt around his ability because the SPL is a weak league and anyone would succeed there
Tell it to Ronny Deila, who's taking the "success" out of successor... :D

Point taken though that playing in that fish-in-a-barrel league is barely preparation for here. Not saying he wouldn't do well at it but it's a very different job.
Yeah, I agree with that. It's difficult to predict how well he'll do in the longterm because, outside of the impressive run in Europe, he's not had to do a job with the odds stacked against him.
thebish wrote:

let's not be greedy! we're only getting one! :D

genuine question - what is it that makes you think that Lennon is the sort of manager who can get the best out of players? I really know nothing about him or his style or his strengths/weaknesses...
Just from what the players at Celtic said about him, really. That isn't concrete evidence obviously but it does seem like they enjoyed playing for him and the tactical rigidity they showed against big teams, particularly Barcelona, makes me think that the players did buy into what Lennon wanted and gave their all for it.

I'd like to know what Celtic fans thought of him though, not just personally but his tactics, style, selection, transfers etc..

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:29 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Considering the football only I'd lean towards Mackay but then again, I'm a white man, and there may be those at the club less than enamored with him. Possibilities of a great reward, but not without great risk.

I'd argue that the reason Celtic's squad was much more expensively assembled than the rest of the SPL was more looking towards getting by in Europe than sticking another one past Killie to make it a nice even 6-0.

Lennon knew right from the start of his time at Celtic that the squad had to be weighted towards the bigger games but not so overpowered for the SPL that they'd have not enough of a challenge week-on-week. Which is why he took on quite a few Championship-level players from England, players like Kris Commons who is clearly a talented player but might not have got a chance to play in Europe if he stayed in England. Same for Fraser Forster and someone like Adam Matthews... if they were at a bigger club in England they wouldn't get a chance despite their talent being high enough to play in Europe.

I actually think Lennon built a remarkably good squad for what he was able to spend (okay, more than the Scottish competition, but a fraction of what other European teams could) and the season they'd have to play. They were also very flexible, because understandably playing Barcelona and Hamilton Accies are two very different propositions. The organisation and sheer defensive nous they showed in that victory against Barcelona was incredible... they had an answer for everything Xavi, Iniesta and Messi could throw at them. Okay there were some heroics particularly from Forster but they saw so little of the ball that game but knew exactly what to do when they did have it. Something like that was obviously planned beforehand, which shows Lennon understands how to prepare a team for a particular opponent.

I always got the impression that he seems a tough manager, but also one that unites a squad and is a real leader in that sense.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am

SmokinFrazier wrote: Just from what the players at Celtic said about him, really. That isn't concrete evidence obviously but it does seem like they enjoyed playing for him and the tactical rigidity they showed against big teams, particularly Barcelona, makes me think that the players did buy into what Lennon wanted and gave their all for it.

I'd like to know what Celtic fans thought of him though, not just personally but his tactics, style, selection, transfers etc..
given the smoke and rumours coming out of the reebok/macron over the last 2 or 3 managers - that in itself would be a step in the right direction...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 am

You'd have to ask Mackay the same question based on how he got Cardiff promoted
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 pm

thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote: Just from what the players at Celtic said about him, really. That isn't concrete evidence obviously but it does seem like they enjoyed playing for him and the tactical rigidity they showed against big teams, particularly Barcelona, makes me think that the players did buy into what Lennon wanted and gave their all for it.

given the smoke and rumours coming out of the reebok/macron over the last 2 or 3 managers - that in itself would be a step in the right direction...
Lennon was on 5Live a while back during the row with Deila. He was saying he didn't mind if the players ate what they wanted as long as they performed on the pitch. There are some of our players who would play the same whatever they ate :wink:

Being liked by players, good tactically and not a disciplinarian is exactly what we want isn't it? Oh, and a contract with clauses so he's not unsackable if it doesn't work out :D
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

no_sleep
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by no_sleep » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:30 pm

I think something similar was posted earlier, but I did a little homework on the "top 4" candidates plus DF...
Attachments
manager_hunt.JPG
manager_hunt
manager_hunt.JPG (98.22 KiB) Viewed 2797 times

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:34 pm

no_sleep wrote:I think something similar was posted earlier, but I did a little homework on the "top 4" candidates plus DF...

So what you're saying is Lennon is due to be sacked from his next job? Perfect. :wink: