Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:29 pm

So Lennon is in the SF seal of approval Club, then?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:30 pm

thebish wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:I'll just throw something else into the ring....

To stake his reputation coming to Bolton, with little money for major signings he must be of the opinion that our squad is decent enough and just seriously under performing and that he can get them up the table.
I know he must have done some research for his interview - but unless he's a serious football anorak - I'd be surprised if he knew anything at all about more than 3 or 4 of our current squad...
I'm quite sure that he will know about Mills, McNaughton, Tierney, Wheater, Spearing, Pratley, M Davies, CYL, Beckford & Mason, possibly M Clayton and certainly S Holden !

Give him a month or so to the players out, but by the end of Nov we'll be winning more games than we are losing - I'm actually hopeful of a late play off charge !

Believe me I'm not one to get excited easily....but I'm really positive about Lennon, we've bottomed out and I believe given a few months Lennon will get the place buzzing again....

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

If memory serves me right one other trait of his Celtic teams is that they would never give up on a game until the final whistle. On those occasions when the score was going against them you always felt they'd find some way to nick a goal or two in the dying seconds.

Anyway, good luck to him. I hope he can sort that defence/midfield/strikeforce out.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote: Believe me I'm not one to get excited easily....
we do!! :lol: 8)

why is it obvious that Lennon would know anything about Tierney & Co.?? just cos we've heard of them, doesn't mean anyone else has!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Lennon on 5live in 10 mins or so

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:57 pm

He said he'd tried to sign half a dozen of our players in the past. Must have been the strikers.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm

thebish wrote:

why is it obvious that Lennon would know anything about Tierney & Co.?? just cos we've heard of them, doesn't mean anyone else has!!
He's just said on 5 live that he's tried to sign 'half a dozen' of our players over the past few years !

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Little Green Man wrote:He said he'd tried to sign half a dozen of our players in the past. Must have been the strikers.
Dunno what's more worrying. That he wanted to sign them, or we didn't let him!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:So Lennon is in the SF seal of approval Club, then?
He is. When the club have our monthly meeting inside a phone box, I'll let him know you all wish him well too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
thebish wrote:

He's just said on 5 live that he's tried to sign 'half a dozen' of our players over the past few years !

oh bugger! :D fair enough then - he knows his stuff!! (I wonder which ones!)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:05 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:So Lennon is in the SF seal of approval Club, then?
He is. When the club have our monthly meeting inside a phone box, I'll let him know you all wish him well too.
Good to hear that most folks seem to be in favour. :-)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:11 pm

First thing that strikes me is that the bloke turned down a rumoured forty grand a week to come to us. Fair play to him.

The second thing that comes to mind is that he's not a bloke you'd pick a fight with. Anyone whining in the dressing room or not putting a shift in will get told.

Ginger wig bought, bring on Brum.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Larsson7 wrote:Overall, I'd say Neil Lennon is a decent manager, but one with plenty of flaws. We won 3 league titles with him at the helm, but 2 of those seasons were after Rangers (RIP) had been liquidated and forced to start as a new club in the bottom division. He won 2 Scottish Cups with him as well, but given the situation up here over the last few years, 2 out of the 9 domestic cups he could have won doesn't seem particularly great. Last season we were dumped out of both cups before the quarter final stage for the 1st time in about 60 years.

Its this that worries me about NL.

Is he all that he's cracked up to be because that is a poor record in the domestics...
Last edited by enrdentw on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:I'll just throw something else into the ring....

To stake his reputation coming to Bolton, with little money for major signings he must be of the opinion that our squad is decent enough and just seriously under performing and that he can get them up the table.

That's my view, too. It seems he may have turned down a £2m year Saudi job. He's ambitious and, if successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on in a couple of years. But that will require significant success and he must believe he can achieve it here.

I'm happy to back him and the team.

Also, I don't think the Brum game is massive (though it would be great to get off to a flyer). Out of the bottom three by Jan seems a reasonable measure, I'd say.
Hope we can find him a bit of dosh in Jan.

Brum isn't massive, although maybe they could give us the three points back we lent them to keep them up.

I can remember we had some shots against Bournemouth, it would be good to have some more.
All well and good, but we'd end up owing them two, seeing as they only drew at our place on the final day... :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Yeah, but it was as good as three points to them... :oops:

mulgrew21
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mulgrew21 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:20 pm

One thing he'll definitely do is get your player's confidence sky high. He is constantly praising his players publicly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ennon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... h-35m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/len ... 42202.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25522773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:31 pm

It's fair to say I'm fairly content, doubt there will be a Lennon out post any time some started by moi.
Got a bit of anticipation now, the only way is up and we will get some respect back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Welcome, Neil. A genuinely exciting and ballsy appointment, and one that shows our club is desirable. Credit to him for eschewing the Saudi meal ticket (I assume we're not paying him the same £40kpw...) and credit to PG/ED for tempting him.

Come on you Whites.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Did anyone hear the interview with NL?

Does anyone have a link or can someone summarise what he said?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Is there only me that has absolutely no feelings or opinion on the appointment of Lennon?
May the bridges I burn light your way